Mileage on first road trip

Thank you all for sharing this real-world data. I am curious, is it just me or are these numbers like 3.2 mi/KWH making anyone else rethink getting the LUCID air? Or was this always expected ?

Thank you all for sharing this real-world data. I am curious, is it just me or are these numbers like 3.2 mi/KWH making anyone else rethink getting the LUCID air? Or was this always expected ?

What is alternative?

EDIT: Just received my confirmation email. @hmp10 @hydbob @Alex for AGT.

It is the highest range vehicle. Period. I would not even consider one below 400. The only one in that range is a Tesla. I don’t want a Tesla. They just look cheap (tablet on wheels) and have the stupid joke of a steering wheel.

I am curious, is it just me or are these numbers like 3.2 mi/KWH making anyone else rethink getting the LUCID air? Or was this always expected ?

After watching EV developments closely and driving EVs for over six years, I have learned two things:

1. You will never have a range problem in local driving with any but the shortest-range EVs.

2. You will never see anything like rated EPA mileage on long road trips at realistic highway speeds with most EVs. The exceptions might be the Porsche Taycan and a couple of other German cars that meet or exceed their rated ranges on the highway . . . but they start with such a low rated range that you're right back to where you started. Bottom line -- don't use even a long-range-rated EV on a road trip unless you can charge at least every 250 miles, or you are willing to hyper-mile assiduously.

Can you remind us when you put your deposit down for the AGT? Thanks.
1638300569021.jpeg

After watching EV developments closely and driving EVs for over six years, I have learned two things:

1. You will never have a range problem in local driving with any but the shortest-range EVs.

2. You will never see anything like rated EPA mileage on long road trips at realistic highway speeds with most EVs. The exceptions might be the Porsche Taycan and a couple of other German cars that meet or exceed their rated ranges on the highway . . . but they start with such a low rated range that you're right back to where you started. Bottom line -- don't use even a long-range-rated EV on a road trip unless you can charge at least every 250 miles, or you are willing to hyper-mile assiduously.

We'll see when I go into production. May be safer to get a rental for the drive back. No charging issues, gas I hope is plentiful...

I am apparently less willing than some to accept issues that keep popping up here. Yes, I’ve read here we had no right to expect the car to be perfect, but between the delays to get everything right and Rawlinson essentially telling us the car would be perfect out of the gate, the issues here are surprising. Some of the issues sound very ‘Tesla-like’. Been there done that.

The range issue is, without question, for me the biggest issue thus far. The Lucid, by all accounts, was supposed to knock everyone else out of the park. This doesn’t seem to be the case or at the very least, the gap is not nearly as wide as we were led to believe. We can make 100 excuses as to why that is so, but it is what it is.

I have a concurrent deposit down on a BMW i4 with a projected range of 300 miles. At this point my logic is pushing me to believe that since the Germans often tend to be conservative in their range claims and we already can see that Lucid’s claims are, shall we say, somewhat embellished, there may be very little, if any, difference between an i4 with a 300 mile range and a Lucid Pure with a 400 mile range.

It also bugs me that the i4 apparently has more features than the Lucid. At any rate I’ve taken the next step in the i4 ordering process by completing the spec sheet for exterior color, leather color & wood accents (another issue I have with a class of car like the Lucid, limited interior color choices), option packages etc. No additional deposit or commitment was required, but the order was submitted and the dealer is awaiting build dates from Germany. This might not happen for a couple of months.

So the long story short is my options remain open, but I’m concerned with some of things I’m hearing here. I don’t want to sound like a Debby Downer, but those are my honest thoughts at this point. This will be my 4th BEV, and I won’t drink anyone’s Koolaid anymore.

I'm not sure if this plays into the equation but originally the Dream Edition did not have as good of range as the AGT. All of a sudden there were two variants and the engine horsepower was increased as well. There are rumors the battery is different and the motor is made differently. So really the jury is out on the range in everyday use until someone does the test on an AGT.

Here's another data point for everyone tracking it. Weather is 86 degrees. I got this readout driving mostly on freeways in Los Angeles. Went from one meeting to another.
20211130_140249.jpg

4.8 miles/kW is excellent. I see you have driven almost 700 miles so you should have a pretty good idea of how everything is working by now!

4.8 miles/kW is excellent. I see you have driven almost 700 miles so you should have a pretty good idea of how everything is working by now!
The 4.8 is only over 31 miles. It’s impossible to make generalizations from such a short driving distance.

Yea I know it's short but it also isn't ideal conditions, just showing it's possible!

Yea I know it's short but it also isn't ideal conditions, just showing it's possible!
Is there any indication a mi/kwh meter on the dash showing how you are driving? Numerical read out isn't to responsive. I'm sure there's a regen gauge.

There's only the regen or usage guage but it doesn't actively show your mi/kwh

Back