Mileage experience after 5k miles on GT

kpbhat

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid air GT
Referral Code
EL1Z1QDX
it’s now 2 months from time I got my GT. Completed 5k miles thru the winter 😎. Happy as I can be so far.

My average has been 3.2miles per KW and today the weather was in 70s after a long time and recorded 4m/kw. This is excellent in my experience as I mostly got about 3.2 -3.5 miles when I owned my 2015 model S. Looking forward for this number to climb as we move into summer.

So far worst have been 2m/kw (temp 22F) and best 4.6m/kw.

Here is what I observed would result in lower range -
Driving above 70MPH (55mph in city is the best)
Driving in high Regen (initially I thought it was best until I changed the setting which resulted in better output)
As everyone knows - (a) Jackrabbit starts which I did indulge in several times for fun 😝
(b) Running heater and steering warmer

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
Hi regen increases efficiency substantially in city driving.

True. However high regen option, for me, resulted in lower efficiency than normal regen!! I am on normal mode now and it’s showing good results.

That’s…very strange. But, good for you!

19” here as well. I’ve already been through a summer and it’s only been worse with the AC of course. This will be my first summer with aero wheels so let’s see

Try turning off the A/C. I went from an avg of 2.9 to an avg of 3.7 to 3.8 mainly with that change. I only have it on when needed.
turning off the AC is not an option for most people. if the car only gets 2.9 with the AC then that is what it is and renders the car to be far less than it is advertised to be.
do you also never drive over 50 to get better range?

turning off the AC is not an option for most people. if the car only gets 2.9 with the AC then that is what it is and renders the car to be far less than it is advertised to be.
It probably means that in the advertisement, like every other car, the MPG or KwH is created under ideal conditions. Real world conditions can and do impact that number.

I dont think cooling would use as much power as heating. Secondly, battery pack doesnt get cold like in winter which also requires heating? In winter, when I start after the car has been sitting for a while, I lost like 2-3 kwh straight away. But as i continue to drive it starts getting better. If it is more of quick drive, park (not just stopping) and drive, then the consumption will be high. When the weather got to 70s a couple of days in the past few weeks, power consumption in initial start up went way low. my experience with EV has been that efficiency was much better in summer (winter 50-60% and summer upto 80% city driving). i will know for sure in next 3-4 weeks when we get into warmer weather :)

No reason to have AC running all the time in most parts of the country, maybe with Florida as the exception. You can drive the car normally (at whatever speeds you want) and gain a significant range increase. Not saying you shouldn’t use A/C, I’m just saying its use doesn’t have to be constant. Same with pretty much any car…. A/C compressors are a major energy sap.

AC should not at all be the power-suck that it seems to be?
That's the whole point of the advent of heat pumps. They're far more efficient, and less drain than resistant heaters, and the AC is just a heat pump "in reverse."

No reason to have AC running all the time in most parts of the country, maybe with Florida as the exception. You can drive the car normally (at whatever speeds you want) and gain a significant range increase. Not saying you shouldn’t use A/C, I’m just saying its use doesn’t have to be constant. Same with pretty much any car…. A/C compressors are a major energy sap.
More like most of the country is nothing like Cali weather. We had 79 days over 100 last summer - no AC is no bueno. The interiors can easily get to over 130 degrees quickly, and all glass roofs probably don’t help.

sorry but I disagree, first off running the AC system doesn't mean you are cooling the car, it can be just running the fan for air circulation.
do you drive around with your windows open? if yes, that creates more drag and consumes more energy than running the AC

AC should not at all be the power-suck that it seems to be?
That's the whole point of the advent of heat pumps. They're far more efficient, and less drain than resistant heaters, and the AC is just a heat pump "in reverse."
Using the AC should not be a big draw.

More like most of the country is nothing like Cali weather. We had 79 days over 100 last summer - no AC is no bueno. The interiors can easily get to over 130 degrees quickly, and all glass roofs probably don’t help.
Pro tip, make sure to run the rear AC on hot days, it will keep things a bit cooler in the cabin

Using the AC should not be a big draw.
The HVAC compressor in ICE cars use around 10% of your mpg. No heat pumps in the Airs except for the Sapphire currently.

Back