Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
In case anyone misses this information buried in the other thread

information regarding the UV and IR filtering specs apply to all windows and glass canopy.

So, I am happy to share that all “our glass has PVB blocks 99% UV. The Ag3 coating reflects IR, a major contributor of heat which results in Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) of about 54%".

XPEL XR Plus 70 only gives a TSER of 52%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-214141_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-214141_Drive.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 216
However didn’t someone say the sun shining through the rear windows felt much warmer than the other windows? If so that would appear to mean not all glass is treated with the same energy rejecting coatings.

If I recall correctly, the glass canopy on my MS was excellent at filtering out heat, but the rear windows less so. It was obvious by just looking that there was heavier tinting on the front windows and canopy than the rear windows.

Hydbob, how is the factory tint level? Seems pretty clear form pictures but tough to tell.
Planning to add 35% ceramic tint on my car when delivered on side and rear windows, one of my pet peeves being ppl driving with full beams on which the auto dimming rear view mirror typically doesn't handle that well. I drive a fair bit at night

I would say there is 0 tint on all side windows, windshield section and rear window. Right now, 2 different shops told me they could not tint the rear window at all without it looking ugly because of the slope and how close the glass is to the rear deck.. The rear view mirror does surprisingly well at auto dimming, either that or the angle of the window help, but it doesn't seem as obnoxious as my other cars.

hydbob, forgetting the visual tint or lack thereof, how the 'real feel' heat feel when the sun is shining through the side windows?

Negligible unless you put your hand or head near the glass

Visible tinting doesn't necessarily correlate to more UV and IR filtering. In fact, one of 3M's top ceramic films in terms of blocking unwanted light frequencies can be had with zero tint. (I used it on our 2015 Tesla.) A lot of the cheapo dark tints you see in some cars actually have very poor blocking of certain unwanted frequencies.

Visible tinting is good for reducing the glare of direct sunlight, which is why you see the tops of glass roofs (including Lucid's) so heavily tinted. But for some years now, clear windshields of every car brand have provided very high levels of UV-A and -B blocking due to the plastic film between the laminated glass panes, and now IR blocking technology seems to be making its way into some cars.

Even with good IR blocking, you'll still feel some heat adjacent to auto glass. IR light is a source of radiant heat into the cabin, but there is also a small amount of convection heat near the glass due to the heating of the pane itself by the sun. A tinted film will not address this. It is easily handled in most cases by airflow in the cabin from the A/C system, and it actually lessens when the car is in motion, as external airflow over the glass cools it.

Glass in the newest premium cars seems to be filtering heat considerably better than just a few years ago. After driving our 2015 Tesla with a metal roof and cream interior for a few weeks in south Florida, I found that adding the 3M tinting helped noticeably. We've now had our Model S Plaid (glass roof and black interior) for over three months in the sunniest part of the year down here, and, we're not even going to bother with the snap-in mesh we also used in the rear window of the 2015 car. Between the laminated side glass (which Lucid also has) and the heavily tinted roof (which Lucid also has), we find no problem with heat or sun glare.

Even the most carefully-applied films can develop problems after a while. I would strongly recommend living with your Air for a bit before deciding to go that route with its glass. You may find the car will be perfectly comfortable as it comes from the factory.

Last edited:
Great post and info. Forgot about the rear window shade too which would help nicely against full beams.
And good point Hydbob, the rear window shape would indeed be challenging for any film application

Back