Window tinting options

I became something of a Lucid geek early on, following every development of the car I could. You can hear Marques Brownlee discuss the electrochromic roof at 4:05 in this video from 2017:

Here's a shot of the prototype's rearview mirror back when the car had "bat wings" coming off the center strip. The electrochromic switch is the top one above the mirror.
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.30.36 AM.png

My installer in San Diego seems to believe it can be done in one piece after taking off the sun visors. Which got me curious - anyone removed the sun visors permanently yet? I’m thinking after a 50% tint, I don’t even need to replace them and leave them permanently off which I’ve always wanted to do so that the glass is uninterrupted.
Hi Demosthenes,

Who is your window tint installer in San Diego? Planning to tint my windows to reduce heat inside the car. Do you recommend it and the installer?

Thanks,

Joe

Getting Photosync IRD tints installed this weekend all around. Haven't yet completely decided on visibility %
With PhotoSync, you can concentrate on the visibility more and not have to rely on a darker tint for TSER. I wanted 55% on my car, but the installer accidentally installed 45%. It looks fine from the inside, but it makes it harder for others to see you.

I wanted 55% on my car, but the installer accidentally installed 45%. It looks fine from the inside, but it makes it harder for others to see you.
Being harder to see is a good thing with all of the photo enforcement here in Paradise Valley.

With PhotoSync, you can concentrate on the visibility more and not have to rely on a darker tint for TSER. I wanted 55% on my car, but the installer accidentally installed 45%. It looks fine from the inside, but it makes it harder for others to see you.
Oh ha, I was leaning towards 15% on my windows lol. And 70% on the windshield. I'm not sure what I would do for the top back slab glass.

Generally just consulting others that have gotten Photosync I've been told 15% isn't too terrible to see out of it at night from the inside.

Hi Demosthenes,

Who is your window tint installer in San Diego? Planning to tint my windows to reduce heat inside the car. Do you recommend it and the installer?

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe! Sorry for the delayed reply. I went to Pure Design www.puredesignsd.com. Mehdi is great, highly recommend. I had all the work on my car done there.

I'm also in San Diego and just had window tint installed by One of One in Kearny Mesa. They did a great job with the installation and I would recommend them. The front windshield/glass roof panel is one piece with no seams (at least no seams that I can see). I had XPEL Prime XR Plus installed, 70% on the windshield and front side glass, 35% on the rear side and rear glass. It's made a significant improvement in the heat coming into the car and the 70% is clear enough that it looks like OEM without tint.

I'm also in San Diego and just had window tint installed by One of One in Kearny Mesa. They did a great job with the installation and I would recommend them. The front windshield/glass roof panel is one piece with no seams (at least no seams that I can see). I had XPEL Prime XR Plus installed, 70% on the windshield and front side glass, 35% on the rear side and rear glass. It's made a significant improvement in the heat coming into the car and the 70% is clear enough that it looks like OEM without tint.
Thinking of doing the same. Can you share a picture of the finished product? Did you do the top canopy as well ? Thanks

Yes I did have the glass roof over the back seat tinted with the same 35% XPEL Prime XR Plus. My understanding of the XPEL tint is the XR Plus has a ceramic coating that is primarily for heat reflection and that the heat reflection/rejection of the coating is independent from the % of visible light transmission. The coatings definitely improve things but on a sunny summer day, the glass is going to still get warm and so will the interior of your vehicle, but then again, on a sunny summer day in SoCal, any vehicle, glass roof or not is going to get warm.

The evening light makes it hard to take good photos showing the glass visibility, but the 70% tint still looks clear even though its not, and the 35% tint, to me is good for having more privacy while not being completely blacked out.

Attachments

• IMG_7208.jpg
    IMG_7208.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7209.jpg
    IMG_7209.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 75
Yes I did have the glass roof over the back seat tinted with the same 35% XPEL Prime XR Plus. My understanding of the XPEL tint is the XR Plus has a ceramic coating that is primarily for heat reflection and that the heat reflection/rejection of the coating is independent from the % of visible light transmission. The coatings definitely improve things but on a sunny summer day, the glass is going to still get warm and so will the interior of your vehicle, but then again, on a sunny summer day in SoCal, any vehicle, glass roof or not is going to get warm.

The evening light makes it hard to take good photos showing the glass visibility, but the 70% tint still looks clear even though its not, and the 35% tint, to me is good for having more privacy while not being completely blacked out.
Beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Back