Lucid Motors Releases Lucid Air OTA Software Update v1.2.18

Sad but true...today afternoon my app notified me it wanted to update the software. As I mentioned in earlier posts, my car is at the Houston service Center getting repaired (hopefully?). I was surprised that it asked me to update it when it is at Lucid Service, so I refused. Then it pinged me again about 10 min later asking again, so I went ahead and updated it to 1.2.8.15. Then later in the day I get another ping, asking me to let it update to 1.2.19! This time it says it will take a while longer than the first one, go figure! So I did it as well. As usual it says that the car can't be used when this is happening, so I wondered what would happen if someone was actually working on the car when this was going on. Who knows?

I think it is a bid odd that the app is telling me to update it when it is actually in the hands of Lucid Service Center.... I would have thought they would take care of this. Not very confidence inspiring.

I think it is a bid odd that the app is telling me to update it when it is actually in the hands of Lucid Service Center.... I would have thought they would take care of this. Not very confidence inspiring.
The server pushing the updates does not know where your car is. The service center will run the update for you if you do not run it. When my car has been in for service and an update is available, they always do it. It is nothing to lose confidence over.

So you may not be able to answer this but I ran the update today and now my app won’t recognize the vehicle being online … everything else works without a hitch

Sometimes it’s better to ask questions than to immediately assume that everything Lucid sucks (direct quote I believe). When you do an update, you must be away from the car with all fobs. If they are updating your car, they can’t work on it at the same time. They will return the car to you with the most recent update, as is their policy and practice. You are receiving the ping, because their OTA batching is working. There is not a beady eyed guy sitting in a smoke filled room somwhere deciding who gets the update.

It's good to see my luck hasn't changed. I saw an update was available (12 minute estimate), but there was no version noted. I started it, walked away, and came back an hour later to see it seemed to be complete, but my WiFi would no longer connect and it appeared to have failed. My car remained showing version v1.2.17, so Customer Service is reaching out to the OTA team to get things going. ....excellent time for another cup of coffee.

. When you do an update, you must be away from the car with all fobs. If they are updating your car, they can’t work on it at the same time. They will return the car to you with the most recent update, as is their policy and practice. You are receiving the ping, because their OTA batching is working. There is not a beady eyed guy sitting in a smoke filled room somwhere deciding who gets the update.
What is surprising to me is that the app is still functional and gets priority for things like software updates while it is at servicing. I just looked, I can do all the functions that I normally do, like open/close the trunk, frunk, etc... in addition to the software. This is a safety issue. If I decide to open/close said items or someday have it self park/drive itself when that system comes online it could injure someone at the service center.
I wasn't using the app till it pinged me, but what if one of my kids picked up my phone and said "weird, Dad's Lucid app is on the screen, lets touch it and see what is going on?" What if right now someone is in the frunk bay doing something and I decide to snap it closed? Not good. Furthermore, maybe as they are finding problems with the car they may NOT want it to update, so as to troubleshoot it, and maybe I just messed that up.
I don't understand is why they don't have something that takes the car offline/out of your hands so they can do their thing. Having customer control while it is at Servicing does not make sense to me.

What is surprising to me is that the app is still functional and gets priority for things like software updates while it is at servicing. I just looked, I can do all the functions that I normally do, like open/close the trunk, frunk, etc... in addition to the software. This is a safety issue. If I decide to open/close said items or someday have it self park/drive itself when that system comes online it could injure someone at the service center.
I wasn't using the app till it pinged me, but what if one of my kids picked up my phone and said "weird, Dad's Lucid app is on the screen, lets touch it and see what is going on?" What if right now someone is in the frunk bay doing something and I decide to snap it closed? Not good. Furthermore, maybe as they are finding problems with the car they may NOT want it to update, so as to troubleshoot it, and maybe I just messed that up.
I don't understand is why they don't have something that takes the car offline/out of your hands so they can do their thing. Having customer control while it is at Servicing does not make sense to me.
Because they punted on this feature, like so many others, in order to get the car out to customers. It's not any more complicated than that.

There's a list a mile long of things the software team at Lucid needs to do. If they waited until they were all done, the car would have started shipping in 2038. Not an excuse, but for whatever reason, that's the reality. They can't go back in time. All they can do is try to move forward.

I agree, this would absolutely be something they want to add. As soon as the car is placed in service, the technician would set the car into "service" mode. In which case, all the functions in the app would be disabled for the owner. I can't imagine that isn't on their road map. But wouldn't hurt to write to Lucid and let them know, just in case it isn't.

It will be now, paging @mcr16 and @Firstto520

Yeah, I’m assuming this is something that will be addressed in the near future where remote functions are disabled whilst in for service. If you’re so concerned about the safety of the technician did you call Customer Care to raise the concern or just decided to posted it here instead?

Because they punted on this feature, like so many others, in order to get the car out to customers. It's not any more complicated than that.

There's a list a mile long of things the software team at Lucid needs to do. If they waited until they were all done, the car would have started shipping in 2038. Not an excuse, but for whatever reason, that's the reality. They can't go back in time. All they can do is try to move forward.

I agree, this would absolutely be something they want to add. As soon as the car is placed in service, the technician would set the car into "service" mode. In which case, all the functions in the app would be disabled for the owner. I can't imagine that isn't on their road map. But wouldn't hurt to write to Lucid and let them know, just in case it isn't.
Especially the FRUNK, it closes with a lot of force and very quickly.

WARNING: Do not close it manually, it gives no warning when closing and seems even faster than with the remote or the app. Almost knocked the head off the service guy when he tested it on one of their visits to the house. Good thing it’s not very visible and never leave it open if you have kids around.

The problem is, when you swoon over an “issue” such as the car giving you an OTA (as it’s designed to and should) it brings into question your very real issues that deserve attention. Not everything is a 10 on the pain scale.

For what it is worth, I just got version 1.2.185. Very short download time, very short install time.

Back