Lucid missing market segment begging to be exploited via Dream Drive

Sport

Cars
Volvo XC90 xc60
As a senior citizen bought new Air GT early when first available. In many ways I think it is one of the very best cars available at any price. However, it has so far fallen short in respect of my major objective in buying.

We seniors (many of whom having deep pockets) do not become better drivers as we age. My critical objective is to buy cars that allow my wife and me to drive safely, longer on the very demanding Texas Interstates.

I will always be a hands-on driver but with the Air GT doing all the ADAS functions (either in passive, background mode or with Dream Drive Pro engaged) as I actively oversee on a continuous basis. The type of features I hoped to have had been added by now by OTA updates were introduced by Tesla some 4-5 years ago. We often ride in Tesla Ubers and see these on the large center screen.

Three lanes are projected, and one can see cars or trucks in the lane immediately behind the Uber and several vehicles in front and the same for the lanes on either side. This gives advance warning of cars dangerously passing on the right and then cutting in front, far too close. Whie this move is illegal, and enforced, in Europe, it is an aggressive, dangerous maneuver one is frequently subjected to in the U.S. – often by the many, very nimble half-ton pickups – even if one is doing the speed limit or more.

On local roads Teslas also screen shots coming stop lights and stop signs and warns if one is about to blow through these.

I will not buy a Tesla, as they only have optical sensors and are otherwise far inferior to Lucid. However, if I do not see our Air GT gaining the above functions soon and if the Gravity does not arrive with them, I will sell the Air GT and not buy the Gravity. This would be sad, especially because it appears Lucid is putting the same wonderful engineering and quality features into the Gravity with nifty improvements over the Air. The Air GT promo shows the 3 lanes in the center of the Cockpit Panel but this is a teaser, not yet available and no one at company can hazard a guess when it will be available. Can anyone put a bug in Peter’s ear to exploit the safety-conscious senior market?

Sport

I'm in the same boat as you with DreamDrive Pro. It irks me to no end that Lucid made all these promises, showed off marketing material that never came to fruition and won't say a god damn word about what's going on and if\when we can expect ANY features to be added to DreamDrive Pro.

They're not the only ones that do it but at what point in time do these companies start to get held accountable for making false promises. I was on the Gravity bandwagon but am keeping a close eye on what's promised vs. what's delivered because if Lucid continues to drag its feet and makes all these "coming in the near future" or "coming soon" comments i'll probably move to the Rivian.

I know it's become a bit of light hearted banter with "Android Auto Thursday" but it's EXTREMELY poor form for Lucid to have promised something when the vehicle launched and to not deliver almost 3 years on with NO communication about it. The Dream Drive Pro video they have on their YouTube channel is laughable at this point. They've effectively delivered nothing but were quite happy to take $10K from people for it in the early days.

As a senior citizen bought new Air GT early when first available. In many ways I think it is one of the very best cars available at any price. However, it has so far fallen short in respect of my major objective in buying.

We seniors (many of whom having deep pockets) do not become better drivers as we age. My critical objective is to buy cars that allow my wife and me to drive safely, longer on the very demanding Texas Interstates.

I will always be a hands-on driver but with the Air GT doing all the ADAS functions (either in passive, background mode or with Dream Drive Pro engaged) as I actively oversee on a continuous basis. The type of features I hoped to have had been added by now by OTA updates were introduced by Tesla some 4-5 years ago. We often ride in Tesla Ubers and see these on the large center screen.

Three lanes are projected, and one can see cars or trucks in the lane immediately behind the Uber and several vehicles in front and the same for the lanes on either side. This gives advance warning of cars dangerously passing on the right and then cutting in front, far too close. Whie this move is illegal, and enforced, in Europe, it is an aggressive, dangerous maneuver one is frequently subjected to in the U.S. – often by the many, very nimble half-ton pickups – even if one is doing the speed limit or more.

On local roads Teslas also screen shots coming stop lights and stop signs and warns if one is about to blow through these.

I will not buy a Tesla, as they only have optical sensors and are otherwise far inferior to Lucid. However, if I do not see our Air GT gaining the above functions soon and if the Gravity does not arrive with them, I will sell the Air GT and not buy the Gravity. This would be sad, especially because it appears Lucid is putting the same wonderful engineering and quality features into the Gravity with nifty improvements over the Air. The Air GT promo shows the 3 lanes in the center of the Cockpit Panel but this is a teaser, not yet available and no one at company can hazard a guess when it will be available. Can anyone put a bug in Peter’s ear to exploit the safety-conscious senior market?

Sport
I ml also a senior citizen (just entered my eighth decade). The problem I have with the Tesla system is that it causes the driver to constantly take his eyes off the road ahead. Since the display is in the middle of the dash, the driver is turning away from the road to see it.

My current vehicle doesn't currently have the Tesla system but it does have five different blind spot systems (warning arrow in side mirror; warning red area on the correct side of the driver lines on the headup display; beeps if one is still ignoring the warnings; and a video window that open up on the dash when one turns on the turn signal). Before giving up on the Lucid, given the safety concern I raised, I suggest seeing if the Lucid systems are adequate to your needs. No car company makes a car that is completely perfect for any of us: there are tradeoffs that have to be taken.

Your concern about folks passing on the right which is not allowed in Europe is spot on. But the problem is that drivers out here drive randomly in all lanes. On a 3 lane road it is common to see everyone turning into the road on the middle or left lane and then driving slowly. In Europe the left lane is for passing. Our laws in the US used to say that there was a minimum speed limit on highways but that has gone the way of the dodo bird. So drivers have to pass on the right to get around slower drivers who should not be in the lane. The rule is simple: drive to the right lane unless or until you are either all the way over or driving at the pace of the other cars in the lane. Not brain surgery. Not even a bunion removal.

I am so glad to join this call for action. My wife and I are both 75, and I can say with certainty that we would have never made our Lucid purchase were it not for the promise of DreamDrive Pro functionality. As others have already mentioned, this is not some 'nice to have' that we hoped would happen eventually. It is a feature that came with a fairly high price tag, and as such was a commitment on the part of Lucid... Not some "Yeah, we'll see if we can do that." pie in the sky wish.

The failure to show any meaning return on our DreamDrive Pro investment is disappointing enough, but the deafening silence from Lucid management is unconscionable. While we love it, we did not pay for the car that we have today. We paid for the car that we're starting to wonder if we will ever receive.

As much as I respect Lucid and its senior management, it's hard for me to comprehend the situation as it currently stands.

I ml also a senior citizen (just entered my eighth decade). The problem I have with the Tesla system is that it causes the driver to constantly take his eyes off the road ahead. Since the display is in the middle of the dash, the driver is turning away from the road to see it.

My current vehicle doesn't currently have the Tesla system but it does have five different blind spot systems (warning arrow in side mirror; warning red area on the correct side of the driver lines on the headup display; beeps if one is still ignoring the warnings; and a video window that open up on the dash when one turns on the turn signal). Before giving up on the Lucid, given the safety concern I raised, I suggest seeing if the Lucid systems are adequate to your needs. No car company makes a car that is completely perfect for any of us: there are tradeoffs that have to be taken.

Your concern about folks passing on the right which is not allowed in Europe is spot on. But the problem is that drivers out here drive randomly in all lanes. On a 3 lane road it is common to see everyone turning into the road on the middle or left lane and then driving slowly. In Europe the left lane is for passing. Our laws in the US used to say that there was a minimum speed limit on highways but that has gone the way of the dodo bird. So drivers have to pass on the right to get around slower drivers who should not be in the lane. The rule is simple: drive to the right lane unless or until you are either all the way over or driving at the pace of the other cars in the lane. Not brain surgery. Not even a bunion removal.

If you compare Air GT to Tesla S, which is the closest competitor, the instrument panel with the lane and car displays is right in front of you - you don’t need to turn to look at the big screen to the right. The Model 3 doesn’t but that’s not a good comparison. Also - Tesla has been promising plenty of stuff that never happens for a lot longer than Lucid - should be against the law to charge extra for features that never appear. I agree with others that you should buy the car with the features it has now and not expect anything else, but if they are taking your money for something specifically marketed and promised, then they need to deliver.

I rented a Tesla a few months ago and found the 3-lane-view feature to be more of a gimmick than something actually useful, but that's just me. I rely on my mirrors (and the blind spot cameras when the turn signal is on) to see what's going on around me. I would like Traffic Jam assist, though ....

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
I rented a Tesla a few months ago and found the 3-lane-view feature to be more of a gimmick than something actually useful, but that's just me. I rely on my mirrors (and the blind spot cameras when the turn signal is on) to see what's going on around me. I would like Traffic Jam assist, though ....
I couldn't agree more. The display of cars around you, video-game style is more of a distraction than its worth. Camera views, on the other hand, are very handy.

I don't like that Lucid has made such little progress in the past year especially with ADAS features. And I too want Traffic Jam assist badly. But I'm still hoping that will all come in time.

I am so glad to join this call for action. My wife and I are both 75, and I can say with certainty that we would have never made our Lucid purchase were it not for the promise of DreamDrive Pro functionality. As others have already mentioned, this is not some 'nice to have' that we hoped would happen eventually. It is a feature that came with a fairly high price tag, and as such was a commitment on the part of Lucid... Not some "Yeah, we'll see if we can do that." pie in the sky wish.

The failure to show any meaning return on our DreamDrive Pro investment is disappointing enough, but the deafening silence from Lucid management is unconscionable. While we love it, we did not pay for the car that we have today. We paid for the car that we're starting to wonder if we will ever receive.

As much as I respect Lucid and its senior management, it's hard for me to comprehend the situation as it currently stands.
I agree. Unfortunately, there are many, many instances of this out there. I owned a BMW PHEV. BMW had promised that a charging mat to place on the garage floor to allow untouched battery charging would be available. I think they are still talking about it six years later. Tesla, of course, is the world champion at this.

At least Lucid decided to offer the Dream Drive Premium for much less which offered the surround view camera system that many wanted. I had decided a long time ago that if I went through with the purchase of a Lucid, it would be Dream Drive Premium for me.

I'm in the same boat as you with DreamDrive Pro. It irks me to no end that Lucid made all these promises, showed off marketing material that never came to fruition and won't say a god damn word about what's going on and if\when we can expect ANY features to be added to DreamDrive Pro.

They're not the only ones that do it but at what point in time do these companies start to get held accountable for making false promises. I was on the Gravity bandwagon but am keeping a close eye on what's promised vs. what's delivered because if Lucid continues to drag its feet and makes all these "coming in the near future" or "coming soon" comments i'll probably move to the Rivian.

I know it's become a bit of light hearted banter with "Android Auto Thursday" but it's EXTREMELY poor form for Lucid to have promised something when the vehicle launched and to not deliver almost 3 years on with NO communication about it. The Dream Drive Pro video they have on their YouTube channel is laughable at this point. They've effectively delivered nothing but were quite happy to take $10K from people for it in the early days.
Dreamdrive pro should not be a priority right now. Maybe if there was no COVID, inflation, EV negativity, Lucid would have sold more cars and have the money to invest in developing autonomous driving. They need to be realistic. Get Gravity out first, improve sales. Everything else is not important right now.

• Hmm
Dreamdrive pro should not be a priority right now. Maybe if there was no COVID, inflation, EV negativity, Lucid would have sold more cars and have the money to invest in developing autonomous driving. They need to be realistic. Get Gravity out first, improve sales. Everything else is not important right now.
You are speculating on a host of reasons why nothing meaningful has happened to-date, which is one of the main points made in this thread. Instead of leaving us to speculate, why can't someone from Lucid just tell us what the heck is going on, what we can reasonably expect, and when? I think most of us could live with an honest update... even a very disappointing honest update... much more than we can we can live with being left totally in the dark.

You are speculating on a host of reasons why nothing meaningful has happened to-date, which is one of the main points made in this thread. Instead of leaving us to speculate, why can't someone from Lucid just tell us what the heck is going on, what we can reasonably expect, and when? I think most of us could live with an honest update... even a very disappointing honest update... much more than we can we can live with being left totally in the dark.
I’m not speculating, it’s quite obvious. Why put billions into Dreamdrive when you need to save costs due to lack of sales? FSD is not the glorious Robotaxi yet, and not close. Lucid has completely revamped the software , haven’t you noticed? UX 1.0 was a joke. The present software is miles ahead. Fixating on autonomous driving is not right thing to do, but it’s time will come. They are improving software with every update with the small team that they have. You think Lucid has the luxury to spend billions on Dreamdrive right now, like Tesla? They just made the best saloon in the world, I think that is a mind boggling achievement from a new car company!

• Hmm
I was also drawn in by the promise of Dream Drive Pro and V2H. Those two, plus the GT's huge range, made the sale.
I still love to drive the car, but would settle for a Homelink button I could press with the car in reverse.

Last edited:
You still don't get the main point. It is more about communications than deliverables. If you worked for Lucid and gave me the same explanation, but without the hostility, I would be satisfied. Have a nice day.
They won’t communicate something negative or disappointing because it will hurt future sales. It’s better for them to stay quiet, and string new buyers along as well.

It’s unfortunate but for the bottom line, there’s a reason most companies don’t communicate far out in advance.

On the flip side, you can see what Elon has done at Tesla by Overcommitting to the future state. “we’ll have self driving by 2018”. Next update is mindblowing, just wait 2 weeks…and then it doesn’t come for another 6 months and the update sucks.

I’m not speculating, it’s quite obvious. Why put billions into Dreamdrive when you need to save costs due to lack of sales? FSD is not the glorious Robotaxi yet, and not close. Lucid has completely revamped the software , haven’t you noticed? UX 1.0 was a joke. The present software is miles ahead. Fixating on autonomous driving is not right thing to do, but it’s time will come. They are improving software with every update with the small team that they have. You think Lucid has the luxury to spend billions on Dreamdrive right now, like Tesla? They just made the best saloon in the world, I think that is a mind boggling achievement from a new car company!

FSD may not be the glorious robotaxi yet, but FSD 12.3.6 is truly remarkable in its current form and it is improving dramatically with each new iteration. Robotaxi is closer than you may realize.

If they took money for it then it should be refunded. That’s the problem with Tesla too - they get the money, buyer gets squat for years.

If they took money for it then it should be refunded. That’s the problem with Tesla too - they get the money, buyer gets squat for years.
I’m anticipating a big update to DD sometime this year.

I’m anticipating the big update to DD sometime this year.
This. There is definitely something in the works. We were only given the smallest hint at an event in Atlanta, but it's supposed to be good and a major leap forward in Dream Drive.

I leave it to Lucid to officially announce anything more than that. The folks at Lucid are definitely listening and incorporating feedback actively.

Their preference appears to have shifted to delivering first then announcing rather than promises of X, Y, and Z only for long delays. Android Auto and Dream Drive are probably one of many areas that triggered this policy due to the amount of vocalization over delivery schedules. I wouldn't blame them if that turned out to be true. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

For me, advancements such as more refined lane centering and emergency braking protocols, coupled with 'eyes on, hands off' driving, would be great strides forward.

💯

If promises are made and no money is taken well you just have to be prepared to wait until it hits the priority list. However, when promises are made and money IS taken then a company has an obligation to at least keep people informed.

Back