Lucid Connected Home Charging System Installation tips!

I got my lucid level 2 home charger installed 2 weeks ago (100 amp breaker). Yesterday I was excited to try charging our new gravity for the first time. I got a message charger connected then preparing to charge followed by clicking sound in the charging unit and a message charging has stopped. I called customer Service and they recommended restarting the home charger. I did that and it seemed to fix the issue. Today the same thing happened, but restating the charger didn’t seem to help. Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need to get back the electrician who installed it?
 
@DeaneG I have a question for you. Others feel free to chime in.

Since I'm hopeful that my Gravity will be delivered this year, I'm trying to finalize installation of a LHCS.
I'm hoping the electrician I hire will know this information and possibly have installed an LHCS before.
Either, I still like to have a general understanding of how the installation should be done.
Especially the compression lugs I've read posts about members having issues with them.

In the LCHS Installation Guide, on p. 15, the electrical wiring information mentions input directions 1, 2, or 3 and opening a cap.
View attachment 28339

In a 2024 post, @coma24 shows pictures of their installation.
In the sixth picture in that post, it looks like they used input direction 1.
View attachment 28340


I am considering using input direction 2 (back entry).
However, In this post from 2022, you say "typically you'd bring in the wire through the backside of the LHCS in a case like this, though you'd have to use a hole saw to drill a 1-3/8" hole in its plastic housing, easy to damage the unit".
When you say "backside" do you mean input direction 2?

When I look at the picture in the guide, input 1 seems to have a pre-drilled hole; inputs 2 and 3 do not.
View attachment 28342

However, the guide directions say to "Choose the input direction 1, 2, or 3 and, open the cap".
If the input is a cap to be opened, why is drilling necessary?
I'm hoping to avoid damaging the charger, as you mentioned.

BTW, I also hope to use the back of the charger for the entry of an ethernet cable, using one of the grommets.
Related to that, why are there two holes for the ethernet grommet?

If there is something in the 200 posts in this thread before mine, please reference it.
If I'm asking something already asked here, I apologize. Two hundred threads is a lot to read through.
Did you purchase the NACA charger or the J1772?

I purchased the NACS charger and it hasn’t been working. Charging team told me there is a firmware/software issue that they are aware off and working on fixing it through an update. They recommended lowering the amps to 72. Are you having the same issue?
 
Did you purchase the NACA charger or the J1772?

I purchased the NACS charger and it hasn’t been working. Charging team told me there is a firmware/software issue that they are aware off and working on fixing it through an update. They recommended lowering the amps to 72. Are you having the same issue?
I purchased the NACS charger.
It's charging fine.

The only issue I had was connecting it to my Wi-Fi, but that was resolved as well.

Provide more details on your issue so members can provide feedback to you.
 
I purchased the NACS charger.
It's charging fine.

The only issue I had was connecting it to my Wi-Fi, but that was resolved as well.

Provide more details on your issue so members can provide feedback to you.
I purchased the NACS charger.
It's charging fine.

The only issue I had was connecting it to my Wi-Fi, but that was resolved as well.

Provide more details on your issue so members can provide feedback to

I purchased the NACS charger.
It's charging fine.

The only issue I had was connecting it to my Wi-Fi, but that was resolved as well.

Provide more details on your issue so members can provide feedback to you.
I did on a previous post.

I got my lucid level 2 home charger installed 2 weeks ago (100 amp breaker). Yesterday I was excited to try charging our new gravity for the first time. I got a message charger connected then preparing to charge followed by clicking sound in the charging unit and a message charging has stopped. I called customer Service and they recommended restarting the home charger. I did that and it seemed to fix the issue. Today the same thing happened, but restating the charger didn’t seem to help. Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need to get back the electrician who installed it?
 
I did on a previous post.

I got my lucid level 2 home charger installed 2 weeks ago (100 amp breaker). Yesterday I was excited to try charging our new gravity for the first time. I got a message charger connected then preparing to charge followed by clicking sound in the charging unit and a message charging has stopped. I called customer Service and they recommended restarting the home charger. I did that and it seemed to fix the issue. Today the same thing happened, but restating the charger didn’t seem to help. Any idea what could be the problem? Do I need to get back the electrician who installed it?
Getting the electrician to come back will help determine if the problem is the connection or the charger.

Not sure any of these are part of the problem, but I'd:
Check dip switches on charger.
Make sure electrician did use a GFCI breaker.
Make sure compression lugs were used.
 
Getting the electrician to come back will help determine if the problem is the connection or the charger.

Not sure any of these are part of the problem, but I'd:
Check dip switches on charger.
Make sure electrician did use a GFCI breaker.
Make sure compression lugs were used.
The electrician came and we sent pictures to lucid with pictures of all the correct voltage readings.

We didn’t install a separate GFCI breaker.
 
The electrician came and we sent pictures to lucid with pictures of all the correct voltage readings.

We didn’t install a separate GFCI breaker.
Keep us posted.
 
The electrician came and we sent pictures to lucid with pictures of all the correct voltage readings.

We didn’t install a separate GFCI breaker.
Any updates on this, i just installed an 80a breaker but now realizing i need 100a to get the maximize the charging from the LCHS

Wondering if it's worth it?

Also make sure you are using the correct adapter (smaller one)..I was using the bigger one initially and the charger was behaving the same way yours is
 
Any updates on this, i just installed an 80a breaker but now realizing i need 100a to get the maximize the charging from the LCHS

Wondering if it's worth it?

Also make sure you are using the correct adapter (smaller one)..I was using the bigger one initially and the charger was behaving the same way yours is

I bought the NACS LCHS. Not sure what adapter you are referring to?

I am waiting for lucid to send me a replacement.

I wouldn’t change to 100 amp specially if you have to change wiring.
 
Does anyone know if the Lucid NACS home charger still needs the WiFi address changed from 192.168.1.xxx ? The above directions are great but info was as of 2022.
 
Does anyone know if the Lucid NACS home charger still needs the WiFi address changed from 192.168.1.xxx ? The above directions are great but info was as of 2022.
It did the last time I checked, about six months ago. But you can test it pretty easily yourself - try connecting the LCHCS to your home network as usual at 192.168.1.x. If your router says the LCHCS has connected (has obtained an address through DHCP), but you can't access its homepage by entering 192.168.1.[address you saw] into a browser, then it didn't work. In that case, turn power off to the LCHCS and back on, re-connect to its setup SSID, and change its wifi settings to connect it to your guest network instead. Check your router for the LCHCS's new IP address on your guest network. Connect your phone or laptop you your guest network and enter 192.168.[guest network subnet].[address you saw] into a browser to verify that it worked.

For now at least, having the LCHCS on a guest network isn't much of an issue, as its web-based user interface isn't supported or very useful.
 
It did the last time I checked, about six months ago. But you can test it pretty easily yourself - try connecting the LCHCS to your home network as usual at 192.168.1.x. If your router says the LCHCS has connected (has obtained an address through DHCP), but you can't access its homepage by entering 192.168.1.[address you saw] into a browser, then it didn't work. In that case, turn power off to the LCHCS and back on, re-connect to its setup SSID, and change its wifi settings to connect it to your guest network instead. Check your router for the LCHCS's new IP address on your guest network. Connect your phone or laptop you your guest network and enter 192.168.[guest network subnet].[address you saw] into a browser to verify that it worked.

For now at least, having the LCHCS on a guest network isn't much of an issue, as its web-based user interface isn't supported or very useful.
Thanks for that info!
 
Does anyone know if the Lucid NACS home charger still needs the WiFi address changed from 192.168.1.xxx ? The above directions are great but info was as of 2022.
Just an update - I got the Lucid charger installed and did the connect to WiFi steps myself. It defaulted to 192.168.5.xxx so no need to change my WiFi unit defaults.
 
Just an update - I got the Lucid charger installed and did the connect to WiFi steps myself. It defaulted to 192.168.5.xxx so no need to change my WiFi unit defaults.
Ethernet out of box is 192.168.1.10, Wifi is 192.168.5.1 when it's on its own SSID. Once you have it join your wifi, it gets the address via DHCP and will be on the same subnet as all your other devices. And yes, it's still 2.4Ghz wifi only. That last part is where people likely get lost, they have no idea how to connect to the device once its own their own network as finding out the IP that was assigned requires going to your router and looking up the client list, not exactly something everyone is doing on the daily.
 
A big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted tips and information on this topic. I used everything I learned and replace a broken ChargePoint charger with the Lucid NACS, using the Lucid NACS-J1772 adapter and running at a lower capacity than the full 80A until I upgrade the breaker, but this is sufficient for my needs. There is NO WAY I would have been able to do this without the information that various people provided here.

Thanks again.
 
I have carefully read this thread (with lots of useful information). Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified electrician who has previously installed an LCHCS in Orange County, California?

Also, thanks for the warnings about using compression lugs and copper wire and not using a GFCI breaker, but I still have a couple of questions:
  1. Do I need to pull a permit if it is replacing an L2 charger? (SCE is the utility).
  2. I have two 40-amp breakers that are unlabeled and seemingly unused. Do I need a 100-amp breaker to replace them in order to pull 80 amps?
Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice. My LCHCS arrived from the rewards store yesterday and I would like this to happen by end of March, at which time my free charging at EA expires.
 
I have carefully read this thread (with lots of useful information). Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified electrician who has previously installed an LCHCS in Orange County, California?

Also, thanks for the warnings about using compression lugs and copper wire and not using a GFCI breaker, but I still have a couple of questions:
  1. Do I need to pull a permit if it is replacing an L2 charger? (SCE is the utility).
  2. I have two 40-amp breakers that are unlabeled and seemingly unused. Do I need a 100-amp breaker to replace them in order to pull 80 amps?
Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice. My LCHCS arrived from the rewards store yesterday and I would like this to happen by end of March, at which time my free charging at EA expires.
Generally a "like for like" replacement means fewer permit issues. You could call your city building dept to ask if this kind of work would need a permit. My guess is they'll say "absolutely".

The breaker feeding your current L2 EVSE could likely be upgraded to a 100-amp breaker to feed the LCHCS at full capacity. The electrician would also need to pull new larger wires, likely inside a new larger conduit.

Your existing L2 charging station should work fine with Air and Gravity though, maybe with an adapter. I don't like adapters. It's worth it to me to have an EVSE that matches the car's connector. There's nothing wrong with charging the Lucid at 32 amps or 40 amps or 48 amps. 80 amps are great but at some cost.
 
[…]
  1. I have two 40-amp breakers that are unlabeled and seemingly unused. Do I need a 100-amp breaker to replace them in order to pull 80 amps?
[…]
Yes, you will need a 100 A breaker to pull 80 A continuously. The breakers must be sized to pull 80% of rating for continuous current draw (equivalent to the specification that the rating must be 125% of continuous current). This also applies to wire sizing.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top