Lucid Air Wins 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX trophy.

I find the buttons on the steering wheel to have suboptimal tactile feel and responsiveness personally.
This, by the way is precisely why Tesla avoids buttons. So hard to make people happy with buttons at scale. It’s incredibly hard to get them to feel right.

Better to have people complaining about not having buttons than having cheap feeling buttons.

Although Apple pulls it off nicely with the volume and power buttons on iPhone. And they make millions of them per quarter.

In the car industry, however, it’s rare for me to find buttons that feel anywhere near satisfactory.

If Lucid wants to do this right, they probably need to manufacture their own buttons, just like they do with battery packs. Otherwise, the quality is just never going to be there.

This, by the way is precisely why Tesla avoids buttons. So hard to make people happy with buttons at scale. It’s incredibly hard to get them to feel right.

Better to have people complaining about not having buttons than having cheap feeling buttons.

Although Apple pulls it off nicely with the volume and power buttons on iPhone. And they make millions of them per quarter.

In the car industry, however, it’s rare for me to find buttons that feel anywhere near satisfactory.

If Lucid wants to do this right, they probably need to manufacture their own buttons, just like they do with battery packs. Otherwise, the quality is just never going to be there.
Although I find the buttons technically suboptimal (in my personal preference), I’d much rather have a button that maybe doesn’t feel perfect but does a frequent function perfectly every time (the lucid buttons in my car WORK perfectly every time) than to have to hunt through layers of virtual menus to find a virtual button (or worse virtual slider) every time.

Although I find the buttons technically suboptimal (in my personal preference), I’d much rather have a button that maybe doesn’t feel perfect but does a frequent function perfectly every time (the lucid buttons in my car WORK perfectly every time) than to have to hunt through layers of virtual menus to find a virtual button (or worse virtual slider) every time.
I'm definitely in the minority on this thread, but I don't notice the buttons one way or the other. They still look the same as they did when I got it and they work every time. Now if they were actually falling off, then yes, I'd be ticked about that. But until this thread, I hadn't really given them a second thought. The steering wheel ones however, definitely more problematic functionally for me. On the volume side, about half the time I wind up pausing the music instead of changing the volume. I much prefer the roller in the center of the car. On the ACC side, why not make it more clear that to resume you have to push the roller thing up (or down maybe). Once I discovered that, it's ok, but it feels awkward pressing the button on the roller to set the speed.

I, too, find these buttons inexplicably cheesy. In one of his pre-production demo drives, Peter Rawlinson specifically mentioned that the spring rates and detents on those toggle switches needed to be more precise. So I was surprised when I received my car many months later to find them still so imprecise in feel.

This was one of the issues I brought up a few months ago when Zak Edson, Lucid's VP of Sales & Service, called to discuss my experience with the car. I don't remember exactly how he phrased it, but it seemed he was suggesting that Lucid might do an after-sale replacement of those controls at some point. This led to me think that there had been a problem with the supplier that was not resolved by the time the car went into production.
I sure hope that’s the case. It’s just not right for a car of this stature and price to have high points be so cheap. It almost makes not want the car.

I, too, find these buttons inexplicably cheesy. In one of his pre-production demo drives, Peter Rawlinson specifically mentioned that the spring rates and detents on those toggle switches needed to be more precise. So I was surprised when I received my car many months later to find them still so imprecise in feel.

This was one of the issues I brought up a few months ago when Zak Edson, Lucid's VP of Sales & Service, called to discuss my experience with the car. I don't remember exactly how he phrased it, but it seemed he was suggesting that Lucid might do an after-sale replacement of those controls at some point. This led to me think that there had been a problem with the supplier that was not resolved by the time the car went into production.
I sure hope that’s the case. It’s just not right for a car of this stature and price to have high touch points be so cheap. It almost makes not want

I'm definitely in the minority on this thread, but I don't notice the buttons one way or the other. They still look the same as they did when I got it and they work every time. Now if they were actually falling off, then yes, I'd be ticked about that. But until this thread, I hadn't really given them a second thought. The steering wheel ones however, definitely more problematic functionally for me. On the volume side, about half the time I wind up pausing the music instead of changing the volume. I much prefer the roller in the center of the car. On the ACC side, why not make it more clear that to resume you have to push the roller thing up (or down maybe). Once I discovered that, it's ok, but it feels awkward pressing the button on the roller to set the speed.
Exactly my experience. On my list of problems with the car, this is not in top 10.

I sure hope that’s the case. It’s just not right for a car of this stature and price to have high points be so cheap. It almost makes not want the car.
Yep, you should cancel your order because of a cheap button

Yep, you should cancel your order because of a cheap button
If the aesthetics look cheap then for some of us it IS a BIG Deal. Who wants to pay 150K for a Car that looks like a Kia right in front of your face every day. Driving is not everything. then one would buy the Model S Plaid that does 0-60 in under 2 Seconds.

If the aesthetics look cheap then for some of us it IS a BIG Deal. Who wants to pay 150K for a Car that looks like a Kia right in front of your face every day. Driving is not everything. then one would buy the Model S Plaid that does 0-60 in under 2 Seconds.
You did...lol and there are plenty of people who believe the Air drives better than the Plaid.

The EQS buttons and interior feel dramatically cheaper. The center button unit flexed in both of them I have been in.

I don’t mind the buttons, I actually think they look like pretty high quality

When I went through my walk-through, they made it a point to tell me that they tried to strike a balance between controls on the screen and giving those who wanted physical buttons, buttons. A lot of first time EV buyers with this car, and they were worried about scaring off those who aren’t technologically inclined, and would be frustrated to find basic functions hidden behind menus (akin to Tesla). Now, if some of you find them cheap, unfortunately they missed the mark for you. I haven’t found them to feel cheap, they are responsive and at a great spot in the car for easy access. They may eventually remove these buttons in further design iterations, but if you’ve looked at the car before purchasing, you should know what’s in it and make your decision on following through with your purchase..

Found the fanboy.
Pointing out that buttons shouldn’t be a deal breaker doesn’t make one a fanboy. I have the car, the buttons don’t bother me, in fact I’m happy to have buttons at all given the screen slavery imposed on us by many new cars these days. But what’s great is if you don’t like the button, you can use the screen instead, so you’ve got choices based on your preferences. I’m a fanboy of Lucid, but also am able to rationally recognize faults with the car. The buttons are not a fault, some don’t like them, some do, some don’t care.

Who wants to pay 150K for a Car that looks like a Kia right in front of your face every day.

No Lucid owner has to because it doesn’t look like a Kia in front of your face. There’s not one thing about those buttons that says Kia to me. I just had a Kia as a rental car last week, I know. The car has issues, no question, but I’d put perceived button quality at the bottom of their “fix it” list.

I have no doubt, in the bigger scheme of things, the inside is mostly amazing but I certainly feel it’s fair to criticize elements of high touch areas should meet a level of luxury standard and robustness that Lucid is touting.

I certainly could care less if the glovebox wasn’t lined with alpaca wool.

I have no doubt, in the bigger scheme of things, the inside is mostly amazing but I certainly feel it’s fair to criticize elements of high touch areas should meet a level of luxury standard and robustness that Lucid is touting.

But is the glove box air conditioned and heated like my SL550? 😀

It’s funny the buttons really aren’t bad, I don’t get the fuss over them, but if you want a luxurious glovebox, my goodness you won’t find one in the Lucid! The Lucid glovebox has the flimsiest most fragile feel of any car I can think of, it feels like I’m going to break it ever time I close it. But I love most other things about the interior so I’ll tolerate the janky glove box. There’s definitely a few “not premium” things in the car (ever fiddle with the air intake vents under the ventilated seats? They’re just as flimsy as the glovebox), but then there’s also a ton of premium things so it really doesn’t bother me. One owner on here had the opportunity to direct trade the Lucid for a Bentley Flying Spur. He had the Bentley for a day and decided to keep the Lucid, even though the Bentley was obviously more posh/cushy/luxury. Maybe the Lucid is just the “right” car for me and the “wrong” car for some others based on what they respond to most, but once I’m behind the wheel of this thing and have got the music on, I can’t find much to be dissatisfied with.

Only one way to find out. Time to
It’s funny the buttons really aren’t bad, I don’t get the fuss over them, but if you want a luxurious glovebox, my goodness you won’t find one in the Lucid! The Lucid glovebox has the flimsiest most fragile feel of any car I can think of, it feels like I’m going to break it ever time I close it. But I love most other things about the interior so I’ll tolerate the janky glove box. There’s definitely a few “not premium” things in the car (ever fiddle with the air intake vents under the ventilated seats? They’re just as flimsy as the glovebox), but then there’s also a ton of premium things so it really doesn’t bother me. One owner on here had the opportunity to direct trade the Lucid for a Bentley Flying Spur. He had the Bentley for a day and decided to keep the Lucid, even though the Bentley was obviously more posh/cushy/luxury. Maybe the Lucid is just the “right” car for me and the “wrong” car for some others based on what they respond to most, but once I’m behind the wheel of this thing and have got the music on, I can’t find much to be dissatisfied with.

Only one way to find out. Time for a showroom visit. I come from a pretty low bar (2015 4 Series BMW) and pretty happy with the quality.

Hey I absolutely agree, to each their own. I truly love the fact that you love some things and can ignore others.
Was someone giving this guy a NEW Flying Spur, maybe I need to find this guy if that is the case 😂.
Maybe I have never owned a true luxury which isn’t luxury but I am sticking to my statement about cheap buttons. Since we are all friends, I feel the outside mirrors are cheap material.

Another interesting thing that I was able to do trying to unlock and lock the car too fast is the driver side mirror folded but the passenger side did not but I did not try to repeat that 😝.

If you have not noticed and it’s true on both front doors that there is a gap where you can push your fingers all the way up but somehow appears by design.

The tech's came and At least admitted to one side of the trunk being out of tolerance. They would not comment on the button but said they would do some kind of reset to see if that helps with the AC Fan.

Did find that the little windows on the back door are not properly aligned. On one side it’s pushed out whereas on the other side it is pushed in and they agreed that they should align the same on both sides but they did not have the info on how they should align.

They had gone all the way to Arkansas to work on 3 different Cars.
They have to take the car in to fix it. The real issue is that the trunk lock is not fully engaging and most likely because the Trunk is not aligned. I am willing to bet that they most likely have not done a great job when they were building the molds/die for the trunk and now are trying to make them work and hope people get tired of trying to get it fixed and take their word as to what the tolerances should be.

One step at a time. They pushed the trunk closed where it does not show red and open on the screen. It is a real issue they have to fix and told me not to use the trunk but said it was OK to drive the car.

Back