Lucid Air Pure: The Real Tesla Fighter! - MKBHD - Auto Focus Review

Bummer he still prefers the model S and didn’t take into account driving experience more in his conclusion. At the end he pretty much said the supercharger network, reliable phone key, and software stack are better than just using CarPlay so he prefers the Tesla. If only Lucid could figure out the phone key.

Still a positive review though and he has a huge fan base.

SC network, phone key, and software stack is what every driver uses all the time - the luxury of the interior and driving engagement is great, but ya gotta master the basic touchpoints that owners can’t avoid.

SC network, phone key, and software stack is what every driver uses all the time - the luxury of the interior and driving engagement is great, but ya gotta master the basic touchpoints that owners can’t avoid.
That’s why teslas adoption for the normal everyday consumer is so good. They make the day to day user experience easy, simple, and fun. Most people don’t care about perfect handling or perfect suspension, for most people, the Tesla is the nicest vehicle they have ever driven.

Still a fantastic review, clearly calling the Lucid the better driving and engineered car. The same reviewer also sank the Fisker, so his popularity carries weight with a large consumer audience. A good review is worth gold which can turn into sales. He did the same for the Sapphire but that car is truly niche..

I think Marques is very fair in his reviews, not just cars, but his tech as well.
To be clear, Fisker sank Fisker because it was an incomplete car. He just pointed that out.
But he is spot on about his criticisms of the Air and for the mainstream EV switcher, the Supercharger network and a reliable key, will matter.
That said, it's the handling, balance and feel of the car where the Air really shines and he celebrates that.
The only point I disagree with him on is the styling. I think the Air is gorgeous! LOL

Of course Fiskers software/product quality were the root cause but Marques popularity acted as an accelerator.

I agree that overall it was a good review for Lucid, but the winning factors in his decision and for most others considering EVs are the charging network, software, and hardware. I think he should have mentioned that Tesla has had 10 years to build out and improve on all these fronts compared to Lucid.

Bummer he still prefers the model S and didn’t take into account driving experience more in his conclusion. At the end he pretty much said the supercharger network, reliable phone key, and software stack are better than just using CarPlay so he prefers the Tesla. If only Lucid could figure out the phone key.

He barely seemed to even drive the thing....

I think when he said Advantage Lucid and the Lucid Assistant (HAL) told him it was listening, it creeped him out!😅

What continues to perplex me is how many reviewers, Brownlee included, say the rear quarters of the Model S are only a little less roomy than the Air rear quarters.

We have a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Edition. With the front driver seat of each car set to my preferred driving position, there is 9.5" more fore/aft rear legroom in the Air than in the Tesla. In terms of seating room that is a vast difference. Much of this Air advantage comes from the rear seat location, but some of it also comes from the incredible front legroom of the Air compared to the Model S, thus allowing Air front seats to be kept further forward while still providing copious front legroom.

Not only that, but the Model S has battery modules under the rear floor just as does the large-pack Air. The Pure, though, has no modules under the floor and thus has a 3.15" deeper footwell, further increasing the rear-seat roominess of the Air over the Model S.

In short, I am completely mystified how Brownlee could find so little difference in rear seating comfort between the Air and the Model S. The most charitable reason I can conjure up is that it had been a while since he sat in the rear of a Model S, and his memory was playing tricks on him.

Of course Fiskers software/product quality were the root cause but Marques popularity acted as an accelerator.
What was concerning about this whole thing was that Fisker was made aware he was doing a review and they contacted him to say a major OTA with a huge number of improvements was imminent. They told him they would get him a car with this software for him to review and he refused and the rest is history. He didn't solely kill Fisker but the traction that review got certainly wouldn't have helped them.

Could you imagine the consequences for Lucid if he pulled a similar stunt when the Air was on the early 1.x software? Software rumors did plague the Air but In today's world I think Lucid got off very lightly with the software they delivered in the early days. It could have been a huge PR disaster for them if something like the Marques video dropped about Lucid at the time.

What continues to perplex me is how many reviewers, Brownlee included, say the rear quarters of the Model S are only a little less roomy than the Air rear quarters.

We have a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Edition. With the front driver seat of each car set to my preferred driving position, there is 9.5" more fore/aft rear legroom in the Air than in the Tesla. In terms of seating room that is a vast difference. Much of this Air advantage comes from the rear seat location, but some of it also comes from the incredible front legroom of the Air compared to the Model S, thus allowing Air front seats to be kept further forward while still providing copious front legroom.

Not only that, but the Model S has battery modules under the rear floor just as does the large-pack Air. The Pure, though, has no modules under the floor and thus has a 3.15" deeper footwell, further increasing the rear-seat roominess of the Air over the Model S.

In short, I am completely mystified how Brownlee could find so little difference in rear seating comfort between the Air and the Model S. The most charitable reason I can conjure up is that it had been a while since he sat in the rear of a Model S, and his memory was playing tricks on him.
He's not a car reviewer he's a tech guy who thinks he can just review whatever now because of his popularity. He's been getting called out a lot recently for his car reviews and providing wrong information.

He's not a car reviewer he's a tech guy who thinks he can just review whatever now because of his popularity. He's been getting called out a lot recently for his car reviews and providing wrong information.
Agree 100%. I equate this to people only getting news from Social Media and think they are informed...

Back