Lucid Air Is Not A Competitor To Any Tesla Car

The Air can be compared to the Model S given the price points, performance, etc. That said, if you take Tesla out of the luxury segment given their interior simplicity, I guess the comparison is less relevant. The challenge right now is that everyone is comparing every electric car to Tesla… just look at the number of “Tesla Killer” articles when any new electric car is announced.

I know that's the standard line on Tim Cook, but I couldn't disagree more.

Lucid could have made an interesting acquisition for Apple, maybe if they simply wanted the advancements in battery and motor efficiency. They'd take that IP and shut down everything else. Which is why I think if it were going to happen, it would have happened a few years ago. Why do that AFTER Lucid starts having real customers?

A partnership like you describe sounds interesting, but that would be out of step with almost everything Apple does. Generally speaking, Apple likes to control EVERY aspect of their products. Which is why they are finally ditching Intel. (And giving the world the largest leap in desktop computer performance in decades while they are at it.)

I don't think Apple is necessarily thinking about producing an actual car, or simply putting software inside someone else's car. Or if they are, that will come later. And it won't be main point of the exercise.Like most things Apple develops, we have no idea what they are actually doing behind the scenes until they make an announcement of some kind. And that's still years away. Like you said, it's all rumors and speculation—narratives spun by journalists who frankly have no idea what they're talking about.
I see the day where all EV's will come with a place to drop an iPad. The iPad can interface and perform all car functions. Every year Apple will introduce a new iPad with a new IOS so it can sell billions of dollars of new products. If there is a problem with the car a Genius visit will fix it for you.

I see the day where all EV's will come with a place to drop an iPad. The iPad can interface and perform all car functions. Every year Apple will introduce a new iPad with a new IOS so it can sell billions of dollars of new products. If there is a problem with the car a Genius visit will fix it for you.
This is my worst nightmare...I don't have a single Apple device in my house

Tim Cook is plenty innovative, no matter what the media thinks; also, it isn't up to him to design new products.

The new mixed reality headset is likely to shake things up, and it takes many years to build a new category. Hard to create a new category every 2 years. :)
People tend to forget Jobs didn’t create a new category every two years, either. He did it twice in his lifetime.

I’d argue the Watch is a much bigger deal than most people realize. And that’s on Cook’s timeline. What wearables will mean for health down the line, as they keep adding sensors, will be huge over time.

My watch already saved me from a stroke by detecting Afib early.

• Wow
Reactions: DJL
At this point in time with the people leaving that division I don't think Apple even knows what they want to do themselves. Steve Jobs was innovative, Tim Cook is not. The days of Apple being a disruptor died with Steve Jobs. They've really done nothing game changing of late except just iterate on the existing hardware lineup. If they bring anything out I think it's through a partnership where someone provides the hardware and Apple provides the entire software suite.

The rumor mill runs wild on this but Lucid could be very appealing to Apple if that's the model they chose. Lucid provides the platform and Apple puts its software on top. At the current price point, i've always questioned why Lucid has been so aggressive to get such a big plant built in Arizona. They've taken no orders for the Gravity and the plant in its current state had the yearly capacity to cover the orders they've got for the Air yet, it was full steam ahead to get this expansion going. Just seems strange to me, like they know something is coming that we don't. Is it Apple? who knows, but again we can spin bits of information to suit any narrative these days so it's all just rumor and speculation until something eventually gets announced.
I don't know a whole lot about auto production (tho I had a company that was an automotive supplier) -- but my point is, why would you expand until you know you're going to be running 3 shifts 24/7 under your existing roofs....unless it's to produce different models?

I don't know a whole lot about auto production (tho I had a company that was an automotive supplier) -- but my point is, why would you expand until you know you're going to be running 3 shifts 24/7 under your existing roofs....unless it's to produce different models?
Because if you don't then you fall further behind. If they only started expanding by the time they could run 24 hour shifts in their current factory, they be a year behind. They have to finish building and then setup the new expansion and train people for that line as well, minimum of a year away.

Because if you don't then you fall further behind. If they only started expanding by the time they could run 24 hour shifts in their current factory, they be a year behind. They have to finish building and then setup the new expansion and train people for that line as well, minimum of a year away.
"until you KNOW you're going to be running 3 shifts 24/7 under your existing roofs..."

So you're assuming they already know.....

People tend to forget Jobs didn’t create a new category every two years, either. He did it twice in his lifetime.

I’d argue the Watch is a much bigger deal than most people realize. And that’s on Cook’s timeline. What wearables will mean for health down the line, as they keep adding sensors, will be huge over time.

My watch already saved me from a stroke by detecting Afib early.
The magic of Jobs was he saw what others didn't. It's more than 2 categories, it's life-changing things beyond this. Xerox handed him the computer with a mouse. Xerox said this is junk you play with it and boy look what he did, that would be 1 that changed everything for the world. Gates just added software to a PC, Jobs made the computer mainstream.

Jobs got booted from Apple and what did he do, he created something Apple needed and they bought it and him back. Game set match Jobs. He creates the iPod and the Smartphone, another big deal that one morphed into the other, and now our phones are even bigger than our computers, and don't forget tablets. Jobs revolutionized mankind. Soon Musk will change the world even more than he has with electrifying cars for the masses.

Back