Lucid Air GT cross country trip LIVE

We’re just back to Cle Elum from Denver Trip, which included Pikes Peak.
We are now trying to establish a route to Michigan.
It appears routing vis I-90 to Billings and then I-94 to Minneapolis is not viable. All or most Chargepoint locations indicate “under development” and talking to Chargepoint customer service no help.
Therefore we’re looking for a southern route possibly via Denver and East.
What route did you take or any other suggestions?
Bummer...not Lucid's shortcoming---just the reality of EV world 2022.

Super car, Super destinations, best time of the year..but can't go where you want to go...maybe the Inflation Reduction Act will help....

Bummer...not Lucid's shortcoming---just the reality of EV world 2022.

Super car, Super destinations, best time of the year..but can't go where you want to go...maybe the Inflation Reduction Act will help....
A great help would be a functional navigator. First two days on our recent Denver trip both upper and lower nav screens black. Later on second day nav returned but when being directed to a charge station again reverted to black screens.
However later in our trip returned seemingly fully functionality. Routed us from Denver to Colorado Springs EA - to Pikes Peak and from Pikes Peak we elected hyw 24 West to I-70 at Vail. Navigator ignored Vail EA, indicating Grand Junction EA for next charge. From Grand Junction identified Perry UT, then Boise ID followed by one more at Hermiston ID. This one we ignored, with navigation suggesting another on route EA, we ignored the next two knowing we could get to Ellensburg albeit on “Low Batt“ warning. An interesting note is that when we bypassed Yakima EA, navigator tried to to route us back.
Bottom line is that after our first disastrous two days experience with Navigator, it seemed to become fully functional providing the routing details one would expect.
However now it has “no data” to help get us to Michigan.

A great help would be a functional navigator. First two days on our recent Denver trip both upper and lower nav screens black. Later on second day nav returned but when being directed to a charge station again reverted to black screens.
However later in our trip returned seemingly fully functionality. Routed us from Denver to Colorado Springs EA - to Pikes Peak and from Pikes Peak we elected hyw 24 West to I-70 at Vail. Navigator ignored Vail EA, indicating Grand Junction EA for next charge. From Grand Junction identified Perry UT, then Boise ID followed by one more at Hermiston ID. This one we ignored, with navigation suggesting another on route EA, we ignored the next two knowing we could get to Ellensburg albeit on “Low Batt“ warning. An interesting note is that when we bypassed Yakima EA, navigator tried to to route us back.
Bottom line is that after our first disastrous two days experience with Navigator, it seemed to become fully functional providing the routing details one would expect.
However now it has “no data” to help get us to Michigan.
Sounds like a great driving trip notwithstanding nav glitches....how did the car perform/feel otherwise?

We loved it.
According to the Pikes Peak Park ranger we met on top we were the first Lucid to make the climb. Of course regen all the way down, stopping at the halfway point for mandatory brake rotor temp test. Ours a cool ambient with attendant informing us “they” had a brake fire day before with vehicle going over the side.

This was our “shakedown” trip and we got “shook down” without navigator and trying to locate charge stations with two iPhones which at times were out of internet range. However in desperation, late at night called Newark Customer Support. These people truly remarkable, with battery going dead, steering getting erratic, led us by the hand to GreenRiver charge station. A fete repeated again the next day at Winterpark. After Navigator repaired itself (according to NCS, navigator intermittently being updated via Lucid Internet services), a true joy and comfort, even on a 107F day.

Wow! You did it. You are much braver than I am.
We had a payment declined at Ellensburg EA.
Called EA service. They rebooted the stationed then authorized a free charge (thinking perhaps Lucid account not recognized) no dice so called Newark Customer Service who suggested A Lucid reboot, which worked.

We had a payment declined at Ellensburg EA.
Called EA service. They rebooted the stationed then authorized a free charge (thinking perhaps Lucid account not recognized) no dice so called Newark Customer Service who suggested A Lucid reboot, which worked.
Thanks this is good to know. The one charger at the Wal-Mart near me kept saying “authorizing payment” but would then quit, so I plugged into the one next to it and luckily it worked normally, but I assumed it was EAs problem. But then an ETron SUV plugged into the one that wouldn’t work for me with no issues, so I guess in the future if a charger doesn’t work then try a reboot. I’ve got a few trips coming up so I’m going to put them into ABRP as a backup and then also
Download the maps into the Lucid for each state just to be sure.

Here are some issues I’ve found with the latest navigation software. It mostly works quite well but….:

-when I try to select an alternate route, it works at first but if I miss a turn or decide to go a different way for one small part of it, then it seems to revert to the first route selection, instead of the alternate, which I probably didn’t choose due to traffic listed.

-if you are planning a route, then back out to audio or climate or something else, it loses everything you did and you have to start over from scratch, including waypoints, because you didn’t hit “go” yet.

-It will recommend charging stops I felt to be unnecessary, but I do think this is on purpose as in the tech talk video with Eric Bach about the battery technology, he says making several short charging stops is optimal so I suspect the Lucid defaults to that (you can’t choose intervals or desired destination SOC% like you can on ABRP).

-if the navigation lady is talking and you silence the voice in the middle, it can kill the whole audio system or at least make it glitchy and slow, and if you try and turn the navigation lady back on, it might not turn back on. It’s always fixed by a reboot but you shouldn’t have to do a reboot to get a feature to work as intended.

Good exchange.
We started our trip to Denver July 29 from Cle Elum Wa. Navigator blanked out with a black screen so we were using iPhones. We charged at LaGrand and Burley Idaho. Usually cancel charge at around 508 miles.
It appeared we could easily make Green River but the climb from Provo on hwy6 put us in negative mileage before reaching the top. Regen on descent helped some but regardless we had a “Low Batt” warning, no navigator and iPhones out of internet we were blind to finding closest charge station. So at around 11PM we were able to contact Newark Customer Service who were absolutely tremendous. Took us by the hand and led us to Green River EA. By the time we pulled in, screens were starting to blank out and steering was getting erratic.
On the third day navigator returned but on selecting “Go” to an EA, again blacked out.
Third day Navigator seemed to be back on line, with EA stations posted at between 150 and 250 miles. I never again tried selecting one and hitting “Go” as Navigator would route us to the next EA and if we chose to ignore would place another well within range. If after bypassing a selection and insufficient range to next closest, Navigator would reroute back to the previous bypassed station (this happened when bypassing Yakima EA).
Now trying to find a route to Michigan but Navigator coming up with “no data”.

@Jeanwoodie We took I-70 out of Denver all the way to Illinois. I used ABRP to plan stops. I didn't leave it up to the car. With the range of the Lucid Air it is pretty easy. Plan to stop and eat and a bathroom break about half way of your leg and then use ABRP to find a EA charger near. The app will tell you your food choices. Never arrived at any EA where they were all down. Mostly, the 350kW are "unavailable" but 150kW worked. One stop I had sat down at Jimmy John's and opened app to check progress and charging didn't start. Moved to next unit worked fine.

Personally after traveling 3,100 miles I think we, as EV owners, barked up the wrong tree. We needed to be pressuring hotel chains like Marriott and Hilton to install L2 and DC fast chargers, IMHO. I charged at Ritz Carlton L2, RV park at StovePipe Wells and behind La Quinta in Williams, AZ, at DC fast. All other times had to "go to" charger.

Most hotels are at highway interchanges...

Just saying.

Thank you,
I’m not familiar with ABRP app? Would you expand? On our first day on route from Cle Elum Washington to Denver we lost Navigator. Just a black screen , but returned two days later and worked as expected on return. Did you have any Navigator issues?
Likewise we found 150KWH almost same performance as 350KWH (EA chargers) and never were unable to get a hookup.
We would have preferred 1-80, being a bit shorter to Denver, but out of caution selected
I-70.
Did you need L2 to make the trip?
We used an L2 at Winterpark, then stuffed it and backtracked to Fraser for a Chargepoint 50KWH to satisfy our concern for a Boulder EA. At this point no operative Navigator and marginal iPhone internet service.
We’ve been trying plot a route relying on EA hookups, but an overnight motel having L2 should add 100+?
Thank you again and would appreciate any more tid bits.
The AGT us our first EV and proving to be an adventure. We took delivery June 30 and currently have logged 5,748 miles at an average 4.0 Miles/KWH.

Thank you,
I’m not familiar with ABRP app? Would you expand? On our first day on route from Cle Elum Washington to Denver we lost Navigator. Just a black screen , but returned two days later and worked as expected on return. Did you have any Navigator issues?
Likewise we found 150KWH almost same performance as 350KWH (EA chargers) and never were unable to get a hookup.
We would have preferred 1-80, being a bit shorter to Denver, but out of caution selected
I-70.
Did you need L2 to make the trip?
We used an L2 at Winterpark, then stuffed it and backtracked to Fraser for a Chargepoint 50KWH to satisfy our concern for a Boulder EA. At this point no operative Navigator and marginal iPhone internet service.
We’ve been trying plot a route relying on EA hookups, but an overnight motel having L2 should add 100+?
Thank you again and would appreciate any more tid bits.
The AGT us our first EV and proving to be an adventure. We took delivery June 30 and currently have logged 5,748 miles at an average 4.0 Miles/KWH.

On your phone’s browser type in abbetterrouteplanner.com. There will be link to their app. Or if you own an Iphone you can download their app directly from their Search for ABRP. This ABRP is indispensable for EV cross country driving. You’ll need to set up an account, and there is an option for a paid membership that’s renewable from month-to-month.

I’ve used ABRP to drive from Southern California to Texas, and then back again. I’ve also used it to drive from San Diego to Denver.

Give it a go. I’ll wager you’ll like it a lot.

Yeah I ended up getting the paid version of ABRP because of how it allows you to tell it desired destination SOC%, which is helpful if for example your destination is far from any DC fast chargers. That plus how it shows various chargers along the route, estimates range loss from elevation changes, and even shows the distance of food/restroom options to the charger make the app worth the $. It’s pretty damn accurate at estimating the Lucid’s range. Unless you’re blasting the thing in Sprint mode the whole trip it’s not going to overestimate SOC% and strand you.

One other great feature is that you can plan on a computer using their website save and then load on your phone. I have right now 18 segments saved. Basically to and from California, to Mackinac Island and to Atlanta, just to name a few.

@Jeanwoodie yes the Ritz-Carlton and the RV park were L2. I think was getting 25mi/hr on average. I generally plan to arrive at my next destination at 4pm so getting to 100% by morning is pretty easy. I also plan not to arrive with a SoC less than 30% if I can help it. Just in case there's an issue with L2 at destination. Most hotel staff know if they have L2. Jut ask them if they have a "Tesla charger." You will need to get an adapter like this one. Oh, and wall nor adapter will come out unless you unlock the doors!
20220705_101056.jpg

Last edited:
On your phone’s browser type in abbetterrouteplanner.com. There will be link to their app. Or if you own an Iphone you can download their app directly from their Search for ABRP. This ABRP is indispensable for EV cross country driving. You’ll need to set up an account, and there is an option for a paid membership that’s renewable from month-to-month.

I’ve used ABRP to drive from Southern California to Texas, and then back again. I’ve also used it to drive from San Diego to Denver.

Give it a go. I’ll wager you’ll like it a lot.

Oops. Too late to spell check - it’s abetterrouteplanner.com.

I put in an extra “b” by mistake.

Yeah I ended up getting the paid version of ABRP because of how it allows you to tell it desired destination SOC%, which is helpful if for example your destination is far from any DC fast chargers. That plus how it shows various chargers along the route, estimates range loss from elevation changes, and even shows the distance of food/restroom options to the charger make the app worth the $. It’s pretty damn accurate at estimating the Lucid’s range. Unless you’re blasting the thing in Sprint mode the whole trip it’s not going to overestimate SOC% and strand you.
I buy their monthly service whenever I’ve got a road trip coming up. Otherwise their free basic service is adequate for me. And you’re right - with the upgraded service and in my case, linked to our cars via my Tesla log-in, it’s pretty damn accurate.

Of course, there is also an ABRP app for Android phones as well.
We also pay ABRP's fee for the month of a long trip - great for planning purposes. Looking forward to the day when we won't have to plan any more - 5 years? 10?

Of course, there is also an ABRP app for Android phones as well.
We also pay ABRP's fee for the month of a long trip - great for planning purposes. Looking forward to the day when we won't have to plan any more - 5 years? 10?

I'll always need something, LOL

My get in the car and just drive days are gone!

Last time I visited Dallas, I stayed at downtown Fairmont. The valet was stoked seeing this car, asked me where is “Start Engine” button, I told him there isn’t one. Next day morning coming down, I saw my GT was parked right next to the hotel entrance with Bentley. 😂 when I went claim my car, guests walking out checking my GT mostly than the Bentley. The car is basically an unicorn 🦄.

y'all are brave. When I get mine, I doubt I will trust it to a valet. Aside from not knowing all the ins and outs, I have watched Ferris Buehler's Day Off and it is hard to trust such a nice car to a valet.

y'all are brave. When I get mine, I doubt I will trust it to a valet. Aside from not knowing all the ins and outs, I have watched Ferris Buehler's Day Off and it is hard to trust such a nice car to a valet.
The hotel was in downtown Dallas, at 12am, I either have to trust this hotel valet or park on street or not crowded parking lot. I rather being guarded by valet team than any homeless can walk up check my GT.

Just as a backup, I always download offline GPS maps to my phone before starting a trip, as well as to the car.

Back