Lucid Air Cupholder NHTSA Complaint

Yeah, would be nice to have bigger cup holders, but I can easily live with these. I actually like the fact that cans don’t tip over or wobble inside.
Yeah I spilled my coffee twice in the Gravity when using excess acceleration because they have bigger looser cupholders.
 
He's by no means a useless engineer. He's a very knowledgeable person when it comes to engineering and how it all works.
And also has been reviewing cars for about 10 - 12 years. I have literally assigned some analysts who worked for me to watch his videos on engine and transmission design and analysis as a way of getting more familiar with the more technical aspects of cars. Having them have that level of knowledge built credibility with our clients and relieved the need for having me lead all the technical discussions.
 
I think this is what is being debated.
I can see four potential solution paths here...
  1. Lucid changes the design of the cupholders in Air
  2. Customers actively search out cups / mugs that fit in the existing cupholders
  3. Customers acquire aftermarket cupholder solutions. I remember in the '80s / '90s buying those cheap plastic things that would hook into the window frame.
  4. Customers buy a different vehicle with better cupholders.
It's possible that I'm missing something.
 
I think it's a real stretch to call this a safety issue to the degree that an official report needs to be made about it.

While the existing Air cup holders are a tad tight , they are perfectly capable of fitting 12oz cans, 20oz bottles and a large variety of cup sizes without spilling.

But then what happens when they make the cup holders bigger? Suddenly common cup sizes that previously fit securely are now loose and tip over when you accelerate and turn, once again potentially spilling hot liquid on your lap.

I KNOW this is going to happen because I have frequently driven other cars with different sized cup holders and every single one of them had sizes of drinks that would not stay securely.

So what then? Another new official safety complaint because now smaller cups don't stay securely and might burn someone?

You literally cannot design a perfectly sized cup holder. it's just not physically possible.

So yeah, in my mind making this an official safety complaint isn't really valid, unless your end goal is a complete ban on cup holders in automobiles because it's impossible to design one that will perfectly and securely fit any cup that some yutz wants to use for their scaffolding hot coffee.

If you want your coffee with you, buy a cup that fits in your car and has a secure lid. Failure to do so puts the blame for any spills directly in your lap. (Pun intended)
 
“I personally have better things to do.”

Apparently not, considering you just wrote three paragraphs arguing with a complete stranger on an internet forum over cup holders. Lol.

And you’ve managed to prove my original point perfectly. Someone raises a legitimate criticism of a product, and rather than simply acknowledging that the design could be improved, you feel compelled to defend the manufacturer and blame the consumer. Fascinating.
In my opinion the design doesn’t need improvement it works well. You apparently think the cup design is proper and the car is broken. That’s your opinion, when my first try at a cup didn’t fit I went back in the house and got a different cup.
I mean to be honest my coffee mug in the house doesn’t fit either.
And no one blamed anyone for anything, there were a few people who suggested you try a different cup?

Oh and the better thing is having a discussion; not spending time trying to get a government agency to force a change on the size of <!?¥?€^%}{~ car cup holders. Ymmv

I’d rather be trying to figure out how to get better lateral traction, without losing a bunch of efficiency, than cup holders.
 
The Air is Objectively one of the safest cars ever designed. Just look at photos of high-speed collisions involving Airs. How well the cabin is protected from impact.

But sure. Cup holders.
 
It is fascinating to learn that cupholder geometry is the defining engineering crisis of our time. I bypass the coffee ecosystem entirely, but my milk tea and standard to-go cups clear the console perfectly. My current beverage asset list: three black MiiR Lucid thermoses and one white one. They all fit without issue. We can probably stand down the federal agencies. The vehicle's utility is fully intact; it is simply our ability to compromise that is broken.
 
Back
Top