Lucid Air Cupholder NHTSA Complaint

I filed a NHTSA safety complaint about the front cupholders. Standard cups and tumblers don’t fit without being jammed in, and even then they’re unstable. A few weeks ago hot coffee spilled on me during a turn. I kept control of the car, but it was a real distraction and burn risk.
Lucid has reportedly acknowledged the cupholder design is flawed and fixing in new models but that doesn’t help those of us already driving these cars. Has anyone actually received a retrofit, or been told one is coming?
NHTSA looks for patterns across individual complaints before investigating. If you’ve had a spill or near-miss, file your own. It takes a few minutes:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
Each owner has to file separately with their own VIN; there’s no way to co-sign. A photo of a cup that won’t seat properly helps.
I’m sorry, but just use a cup that fits……..not a safety concern at all.
 
There is no standard for American mugs.


shopping.webp
 
but does the McDonald's coffee cup fit?
Why did McDonald's flash in my mind when I read the thread title?

FWIW, this is how I normally roll in terms of in-car beveragization ...

IMG_3699.webp


Your standard everyday Yeti. Snugs in real nice. Never rolls, tips or falls. Don't need super human strength to remove or replace it. Has a little slider at the top so hot beverages don't escape during hard cornering. This is my road warrior cup. Occasionally I'll put a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Tim Hortons coffee in the holder in its own cup but usually I'll just pour them into the Yeti and keep it moving.

I also have the Lucid Miir mug. Is DOES NOT fit in the cupholders. So I don't use it in the car. Problem solved.
 
Why did McDonald's flash in my mind when I read the thread title?

FWIW, this is how I normally roll in terms of in-car beveragization ...

View attachment 41639

Your standard everyday Yeti. Snugs in real nice. Never rolls, tips or falls. Don't need super human strength to remove or replace it. Has a little slider at the top so hot beverages don't escape during hard cornering. This is my road warrior cup. Occasionally I'll put a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Tim Hortons coffee in the holder in its own cup but usually I'll just pour them into the Yeti and keep it moving.

I also have the Lucid Miir mug. Is DOES NOT fit in the cupholders. So I don't use it in the car. Problem solved.
Yeah, would be nice to have bigger cup holders, but I can easily live with these. I actually like the fact that cans don’t tip over or wobble inside.
 
Yeah, would be nice to have bigger cup holders, but I can easily live with these. I actually like the fact that cans don’t tip over or wobble inside.
That's the thing... if you make them bigger then most regular 12 or 16 oz tumblers would wobble. Better to find one that fits and problem solved.
 
Reading all these comments make me think the cup holders in my car may be defective. NOTHING fits in those. No water bottoles, not even the narrow protein drink bottle. Looking at these forums and online, it appears it is common issue. But it might be a few cars which have defective cup holders. I do believe it is a safety hazard and can cause serious injury and must be addressed by lucid. When every car from Toyota to Tesla have a cup holder which fits most of the cups/ mugs, why do we need to have this in a 'luxury' car. I have my annual maintenance scheduled in a couple of weeks and I will compare with other cars there to see if its just my car.
 
Reading all these comments make me think the cup holders in my car may be defective. NOTHING fits in those. No water bottoles, not even the narrow protein drink bottle. Looking at these forums and online, it appears it is common issue. But it might be a few cars which have defective cup holders. I do believe it is a safety hazard and can cause serious injury and must be addressed by lucid. When every car from Toyota to Tesla have a cup holder which fits most of the cups/ mugs, why do we need to have this in a 'luxury' car. I have my annual maintenance scheduled in a couple of weeks and I will compare with other cars there to see if its just my car.
Dude. Your cup is too big for the holder. That’s it. Nothing else.
 
I took Euro delivery of an E36 M3 and had a conversation with some of the staff at the BMW delivery center. To a person, they shook their heads and snickered at the notion of a performance car with cup holders. They saw the dilemma…drive or drink. I think the solution has been found in hydration bladders used by cyclists, runners, etc. Why risk spilling your expensive bourbon all over your car interior?
 
Are you going to blame Lucid if your vehicle does not fit in your garage? How about using a different cup that fits the design?
 
Here’s 3 that aren’t Lucid specific but they fit. Interesting they all came from vendors at trade shows.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9584.webp
    IMG_9584.webp
    907.7 KB · Views: 20
Are all the cup holders the same? Did Lucid change the design recently?
I have a 2026 and they are "fine". They are not great, compared to other cupholders I've used in the past.
However, they do fit my 20oz bottle of cola and my Stanley mug decently well.
 
Are you going to blame Lucid if your vehicle does not fit in your garage? How about using a different cup that fits the design?
I blame Ford for my truck not fitting in my garage, not the lift that I installed nor the junk in my garage
 
Back
Top