Lucid Air Cockpit really has coolest functional styling

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
14BE433A-2995-45D4-8CFE-9AF4E7C3AE50.jpeg

I really like the screens real estate of cockpit panel and control panel with both 3D view and 2D overlook view. I don’t know any other car has something like this.

The only comment I have is if they can put Freeway “Exit Number” in direction rather than just the distance to exit, this will help out more than in Navigation. (I hope someone in Lucid HQ is reading this)

Just curious… can you have both displays give the same orientation to the maps? in your picture, the top map is displaying the direction of travel as up/north and the bottom map is down/south. That you’ll be confusing to me if they are in different orientations.

Just curious… can you have both displays give the same orientation to the maps? in your picture, the top map is displaying the direction of travel as up/north and the bottom map is down/south. That you’ll be confusing to me if they are in different orientations.
Yes. That little white cube lets you determine how you want the maps facing. I keep mine different - just like in the pics above. I use the top one up close showing direction of travel but the lower one north up and zoomed out to show more of where I'll be heading. It really isn't confusing at all and is quite nice to be able to customize it so much.

Yes. That little white cube lets you determine how you want the maps facing. I keep mine different - just like in the pics above. I use the top one up close showing direction of travel but the lower one north up and zoomed out to show more of where I'll be heading. It is quite nice to be able to customize it so much.
I do wish it remembered settings between drives. It always defaults to the same zoom/orientation.

Yes. That little white cube lets you determine how you want the maps facing. I keep mine different - just like in the pics above. I use the top one up close showing direction of travel but the lower one north up and zoomed out to show more of where I'll be heading. It really isn't confusing at all and is quite nice to be able to customize it so much.
It’s honestly much nicer and more intuitive to have one be the direction of travel and one be the 2D map. I find it extremely helpful, but yes, you can adjust it at will.

Yes, you can change orientation of direction. I prefer top screen for behind first person POV and lower screen at eagle view of map, the reason is I just need immediate 1-2 blocks direction on my eye level and occasional look down sideway fir quick glance of overview. I don’t want to play with enlarging map while I’m driving.

I wonder when Apple CarPlay is implemented, how will they do this? Keep ApplePlay on top screen only? certainly, I don’t think they can drag and drop of multi-task of different CarPlay apps on different screens. I can see the complexity of that programming. Maybe better off, they just keep CarPlay simple on the smaller cockpit panel.

Yes, you can change orientation of direction. I prefer top screen for behind first person POV and lower screen at eagle view of map, the reason is I just need immediate 1-2 blocks direction on my eye level and occasional look down sideway fir quick glance of overview. I don’t want to play with enlarging map while I’m driving.

I wonder when Apple CarPlay is implemented, how will they do this? Keep ApplePlay on top screen only? certainly, I don’t think they can drag and drop of multi-task of different CarPlay apps on different screens. I can see the complexity of that programming. Maybe better off, they just keep CarPlay simple on the smaller cockpit panel.
I suspect it will be a dual screen AirPlay, possibly with a new version to be released at wwdc. The lower screen for apps and main control, and upper screen for nav display.

I suspect it will be a dual screen AirPlay, possibly with a new version to be released at wwdc. The lower screen for apps and main control, and upper screen for nav display.
I suppose with extra screens and their interaction, this increased a lot of complexity to interlace different vendor’s API’s.

Very cool! I've always hated getting surprised by an upcoming term because Google Maps didn't tell me that a block after my left turn, I'll need to be in the right lane for a right turn.

I bet Apple CarPlay will only be on the lower screen at first. The top screen will only be for native apps.

That’s similar to how other CarPlay implementations work. I doubt Lucid is going to be on the cutting edge and implement dual at the beginning.

Apple does not permit dual screens at this time.

I bet Apple CarPlay will only be on the lower screen at first. The top screen will only be for native apps.
Apple CarPlay is in landscape orientation, so ideally on top cockpit panel is more atheistically appealing. Vertical orientation may be ugly. Tesla M3 and MY have Landscape screens, but don’t support native Apple CarPlay.

Ford F-150 Lightning supports Apple CarPlay, maybe Lucid version might look like this at beginning too…
393A3F09-DCFA-4678-BB3C-EC9D0B22E60D.jpeg

What Lucid need is an internet browser that can solve a lot of problems for work around.

Last edited:
3rd party Apple CarPlay solution for Tesla. I hope Lucid can have native Apple CarPlay app instead.

8E6B5448-0163-49FE-A92F-2CBAAC46BAE7.jpeg
14C8EF73-E49A-40F4-8EFE-00D2B555BED5.jpeg

I agree with you that the top would make more sense.

But every CarPlay implementation I’ve seen only uses the middle screen. Usually the top screen is integrated into the dash and will only show native apps, like guidance from your car nav, but not nav instructions from CarPlay.

I agree with you that the top would make more sense.

But every CarPlay implementation I’ve seen only uses the middle screen. Usually the top screen is integrated into the dash and will only show native apps, like guidance from your car nav, but not nav instructions from CarPlay.
I think Lucid Air is actually 4 independent screens.

Left cockpit panel - instruments switches
Main cockpit panel - driving dashboard info
Right cockpit panel - driver interaction apps
Lower center screen - passenger infotainment

The problem with CarPlay integration in a car like the Air is that there are three parties that would need to do some custom work to make it good, due to the screen orientations.

CarPlay was originally designed for small, horizontal screens, as most cars had exactly that at the time. They eventually added some additional resolutions, but they are fixed. No third party can just make CarPlay display any way they want. The apps are all designed with a fixed view in mind. Apple would need to add support for custom resolutions, aspect ratios, etc.

So first, we‘d need Apple to do some work. In addition to resolutions, Apple would ideally add some sort of multi-screen support, if they haven’t already. Otherwise, Lucid would be limited to showing CarPlay stuff on only one of the touch screens. (I imagine Lucid could easily pick whichever touch screen they wanted to use for that, pilot or cockpit.) I haven’t dug into CarPlay myself, but I develop for iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and macOS. CarPlay is sort of an extension of iOS. It’s just an external monitor with touch controls for your phone, essentially. Along with a custom launcher for pre-approved apps. When you are looking and interacting with CarPlay, you are controlling your phone, not any computer in the car. (This is why Musk will never add CarPlay support to Teslas, by the way. He wants to know every button press you make while you drive, and Apple would never give that to him.) But I don’t think CarPlay can do more than one external display at the moment.

WWDC is coming up in a few weeks, though. So maybe now that Apple has interest from more EV companies with custom display sizes, Apple could announce support for these things. I know Apple wants CarPlay to get more powerful over time, so this must be on their radar. It’s just a question of when. WWDC might be an interesting time for such announcements, as they introduce iOS 16.

Second, Lucid would need to figure out how CarPlay fits into their UI. Essentially, they need to portion out a piece of screen real estate, a rectangle, where CarPlay would display its stuff. Touches on that portion of the screen would be sent to your phone instead of the car. If Apple adds support for custom resolutions, that will give them much more flexibility. If not, they are going to be stuck just slapping it into the pilot panel or right cockpit. I’d argue the right cockpit is the correct place, though it’s a small screen for the task. Only because CarPlay can get very interactive, and the Pilot Panel takes your eyes off the road too much to be useful for navigation and such? But who knows? The first implementation will likely be a simple horizontal rectangle, regardless. Unless Lucid has early access to whatever is coming next from Apple, which is possible.

I don’t expect support for any of the fancy swipe up and down between the screens anytime soon. But having some controls on both screens could be very cool. Nav up top, music on the bottom? iOS does have multitasking, but Lucid’s own software doesn’t even allow that yet.

Third, if Apple does allow custom resolutions and multiple screens, third-party developers, such as Waze, Tidal, Spotify, etc. will have to update their apps to accommodate these new features. So you could be looking at a period where you have multi-screen support, but some of your apps only show up on one of the screens, anyway. If Lucid is the only car that adopts multi-screen, and they only make 10k Lucid Airs this year, don’t expect a company like Spotify or Tidal to jump and adopt this quickly. It could be too small a market to bother with for a while. The more custom the implementation for Lucid, the less chance third parties will care enough to bother. At least all your internal Apple apps (such as Maps, contacts, messages, etc.) will be supported at launch.

MY hope is that Lucid has been in direct talks with Apple about how best to implement CarPlay, and they are collaborating on innovative ways to take advantage of the multi-screens in the Lucid. It’s a big deal for both companies, as far as I’m concerned. Apple stands to win by proving CarPlay is adaptable to modern EVs (while thumbing their nose at Tesla). Lucid gets to have not just CarPlay support, but world-class CarPlay support (also while thumbing their nose at Tesla). And we get the one thing I’ve wanted since mobile phones became a “thing“: My car becoming a perfect conduit to the media and data I‘m already carrying around in my pocket.

Oh, and meanwhile, I’m leaving out Android Auto. Ideally, Lucid would be having the same conversations with Google about these features. It’s possible Google will be more accommodating than Apple when it comes to requesting this stuff. But it all takes time. We could end up with a kick-ass Android Auto implementation and a standard rectangle for CarPlay, or vice versa. My guess is neither company wants to be handed its lunch, though. So one will catch up to the other fast. (Especially if Lucid grows and does very well.)

The problem with CarPlay integration in a car like the Air is that there are three parties that would need to do some custom work to make it good, due to the screen orientations.

CarPlay was originally designed for small, horizontal screens, as most cars had exactly that at the time. They eventually added some additional resolutions, but they are fixed. No third party can just make CarPlay display any way they want. The apps are all designed with a fixed view in mind. Apple would need to add support for custom resolutions, aspect ratios, etc.

So first, we‘d need Apple to do some work. In addition to resolutions, Apple would ideally add some sort of multi-screen support, if they haven’t already. Otherwise, Lucid would be limited to showing CarPlay stuff on only one of the touch screens. (I imagine Lucid could easily pick whichever touch screen they wanted to use for that, pilot or cockpit.) I haven’t dug into CarPlay myself, but I develop for iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and macOS. CarPlay is sort of an extension of iOS. It’s just an external monitor with touch controls for your phone, essentially. Along with a custom launcher for pre-approved apps. When you are looking and interacting with CarPlay, you are controlling your phone, not any computer in the car. (This is why Musk will never add CarPlay support to Teslas, by the way. He wants to know every button press you make while you drive, and Apple would never give that to him.) But I don’t think CarPlay can do more than one external display at the moment.

WWDC is coming up in a few weeks, though. So maybe now that Apple has interest from more EV companies with custom display sizes, Apple could announce support for these things. I know Apple wants CarPlay to get more powerful over time, so this must be on their radar. It’s just a question of when. WWDC might be an interesting time for such announcements, as they introduce iOS 16.

Second, Lucid would need to figure out how CarPlay fits into their UI. Essentially, they need to portion out a piece of screen real estate, a rectangle, where CarPlay would display its stuff. Touches on that portion of the screen would be sent to your phone instead of the car. If Apple adds support for custom resolutions, that will give them much more flexibility. If not, they are going to be stuck just slapping it into the pilot panel or right cockpit. I’d argue the right cockpit is the correct place, though it’s a small screen for the task. Only because CarPlay can get very interactive, and the Pilot Panel takes your eyes off the road too much to be useful for navigation and such? But who knows? The first implementation will likely be a simple horizontal rectangle, regardless. Unless Lucid has early access to whatever is coming next from Apple, which is possible.

I don’t expect support for any of the fancy swipe up and down between the screens anytime soon. But having some controls on both screens could be very cool. Nav up top, music on the bottom? iOS does have multitasking, but Lucid’s own software doesn’t even allow that yet.

Third, if Apple does allow custom resolutions and multiple screens, third-party developers, such as Waze, Tidal, Spotify, etc. will have to update their apps to accommodate these new features. So you could be looking at a period where you have multi-screen support, but some of your apps only show up on one of the screens, anyway. If Lucid is the only car that adopts multi-screen, and they only make 10k Lucid Airs this year, don’t expect a company like Spotify or Tidal to jump and adopt this quickly. It could be too small a market to bother with for a while. The more custom the implementation for Lucid, the less chance third parties will care enough to bother. At least all your internal Apple apps (such as Maps, contacts, messages, etc.) will be supported at launch.

MY hope is that Lucid has been in direct talks with Apple about how best to implement CarPlay, and they are collaborating on innovative ways to take advantage of the multi-screens in the Lucid. It’s a big deal for both companies, as far as I’m concerned. Apple stands to win by proving CarPlay is adaptable to modern EVs (while thumbing their nose at Tesla). Lucid gets to have not just CarPlay support, but world-class CarPlay support (also while thumbing their nose at Tesla). And we get the one thing I’ve wanted since mobile phones became a “thing“: My car becoming a perfect conduit to the media and data I‘m already carrying around in my pocket.

Oh, and meanwhile, I’m leaving out Android Auto. Ideally, Lucid would be having the same conversations with Google about these features. It’s possible Google will be more accommodating than Apple when it comes to requesting this stuff. But it all takes time. We could end up with a kick-ass Android Auto implementation and a standard rectangle for CarPlay, or vice versa. My guess is neither company wants to be handed its lunch, though. So one will catch up to the other fast. (Especially if Lucid grows and does very well.)
Wait, your response seems to suggest this might be a somewhat difficult task and not just plug and play... 🤔

Just in case /s

Wait, your response seems to suggest this might be a somewhat difficult task and not just plug and play... 🤔

Just in case /s
It’s not that difficult task to add CarPlay. Every manufacturer could do it. Some choose not to. It’s unclear to me why Lucid dragging their feet. Having this in place would solve so many complaints about the Nav and infotainment I think.

It’s not that difficult task to add CarPlay. Every manufacturer could do it. Some choose not to. It’s unclear to me why Lucid dragging their feet. Having this in place would solve so many complaints about the Nav and infotainment I think.
So much for my hope of explaining the exact opposite is true.

Sure, it's easy if you just want to block out a rectangle in the middle of the Pilot Panel and say "There's your CarPlay." Doing it with any sort of care for the end user experience is anything but easy.

I've seen the implementation done by dozens of manufacturers. If the screen is anything except the exact aspect ratio CarPlay expects, the results tend to be ugly, at best. This includes BMW, Ford, Nissan, and many others.

Now maybe at the end of the day, the Lucid team needs to accept that limitation and put it out as-is. But my guess is they'd like to do something better.

Neither of the Lucid's two most obvious screens is an ideal candidate for the expected ratios. The cockpit screen is curved at top, which means cutting it as a straight line above the screen's smallest (right hand) height, leaving tons of blank space at the top. (BMW does with with their wider aspect ratio screens, which are at least rectangular, and it still begs the question of why it can't be stretched horizontally. (Again, CarPlay limitation, not BMW's fault.) The only other option is to "fill" the screen and cut off the pixels that would be along the top right edge. That's always a wonderful idea when there are buttons up there you need to press and content you need to read.

The Pilot Panel, meanwhile, is a rectangle at least. But it's vertical. And it needs to continue to function easily for all the many other things you can do with the panel. Plus, its position low down in the center of the car makes it a bad place for the driver to need to interact with while driving. So maybe it would be okay for setting your music with a playlist, but it would be fairly bad for navigation.

Again, I hope Apple is working to make CarPlay more flexible out of the box, so set ups like the Lucid can be more customized. Better yet, I hope they are working directly with Lucid on ways to accomplish this sort of thing. Otherwise, folks are going to be frustrated with the results.

Lol. My point is that I would prefer a rectangle that looks ugly rather than not having the functionality at all. I would prefer something ugly that’s functional rather than not have the function.

I assume it wouldn’t be too difficult to just throw a rectangle in there. Like the Mach E.

Sometimes better is the enemy of good.

Back