Lucid Air as a car to teach my teenage daughter driving?

EVEnthusiast

Reaction score
Hi Lucid owners
I am looking to buy an used Touring and Grand Touring. Everything I have read here, online reviews and post test driving, I am smitten. I am now very clear that the car will come close to satisfying unfilled desires from my youth of a fast, track worthy car in my late 40's :). That said, I am also in need of a car that will serve dual purpose of teaching my 16 year old how to drive. My current cars are Tesla Model Y and Volvo XC90. Ideally, I would like to replace Model Y with Lucid. Hence the question -
Has anyone used their Lucid to teach their teens driving?
(eventually I will of course end up buying her a car of her own in couple of years).

The instructor we used to teach my son explicitly asked we NOT use an EV for him to practice. The reasons were that a) ICE cars are still far more common, so it's best to start with the base-line behaviors, and b) even the most pedestrian of EVs can get moving really quickly, i.e. it's easier to find a slow accelerating ICE.

Which begs the question, has anyone seen a learners/teenager mode in an EV? Dials everything down, could go as far as picking a model car to emulate that's MUCH slower. Kinda like a reverse Gran Turismo... 🤔

I personally do not think the lucid air is a great car for beginners. It has some blind spot issues with the A pillars and rides lower to the ground so can bump the road if you're not careful with the angle going up/down the incline.

I love my Dream Performance Lucid and I especially appreciate my ability to pass quickly and safely when I need to do so. However, would I want an inexperienced driver having my 800+ horsepower (in Smooth Mode) available for that person to utilize? NO!!!

I personally do not think the lucid air is a great car for beginners. It has some blind spot issues with the A pillars and rides lower to the ground so can bump the road if you're not careful with the angle going up/down the incline.
I don't even like my wife to drive my car due to the A-pillar blind spot.

A new driver? Nope.

VW Golf. Perfect car for teaching my 3 kids to drive. Safe, great visibility, nimble, easy to place easy to know where the car begins and ends with enough performance to get out of its own way. Only trouble is no longer available in base trim, only GTI and R. Any EV seems like a bad idea for a new driver. Instant acceleration has to be a problem. As mentioned terrible visibility due to massive A pillar is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
I have kids too and I understand the reasons to consider, wanting to teach her in the Lucid; don't do it.

teach her in the car she will be driving in. either a manual mazada miata or a used model 3 if she must have a cool car.

I have kids too and I understand the reasons to consider, wanting to teach her in the Lucid; don't do it.

teach her in the car she will be driving in. either a manual mazada miata or a used model 3 if she must have a cool car.
A manual! My kids would rather walk than learn to drive any of my manual cars and I think I have some cool manual cars.

Back