Lucid accepting deposits

Electricpowered

Lucid is on the way to production and is accepting refundable $1000 deposits. The first production Lucid Air will most likely be the top of the line fully loaded vehicle but with a first addition of 255 cars the step dowm might be more afordable for many of use. I'm a deposit holder and hopefully not the only one.

Deposit holder here as well! :)

Hope to see more sign up as more news and awareness starts swirling about the lucid air.

Boy, the crickets are still chirping on this forum.

I wonder if the resurgence of Covid-19 infections is having any impact on Lucid's beta test program or construction of its factory and retail studios? They are doing almost no public communication these days that I can find.

Boy, the crickets are still chirping on this forum.

I wonder if the resurgence of Covid-19 infections is having any impact on Lucid's beta test program or construction of its factory and retail studios? They are doing almost no public communication these days that I can find.

What you said. Impossible to know with the lack of info from Lucid. Sept 9th is either going to be a huge success or a bust. I'm optimistic that their silence means they are confident they will exceed expectations. We'll see....

I know the automotive press is lined up to see what September 9 reveals. In fact, Alex Guberman, the host of the popular "E for Electric" YouTube channel is attending the reveal in person, and another heavily-followed site, "Transport Evolved", is giving Lucid heavy coverage. A few of the YouTube videos about Lucid draw lots of comments; one is well over 600 comments but, frustratingly, populated heavily by doubters and alarmed Tesla fanboys disseminating misinformation.

I just can't figure out why this forum is so dead when the same host's sister forum about Rivian, which is hitting the market at about the same time, has hundreds of members and thousands of posts. Is it just because Rivian is making a pickup truck?

I can only assume that with so little factual info available there is little to actually discuss. Only speculation about what might be. However, I do not understand why there are only 22 members to date.

I have stopped reading the Tesla fanboys posts. Enough already. I'm willing to wager that many of them actually put down deposits on the Air if it is all that we expect it to be.

Last edited:
I can only assume that with so little factual info available there is little to actually discuss.

This is what I find so interesting . . . and frustrating. I, too, get the impression that Lucid is putting out very little information about its car. Yet I think there is more out there than we realize.

I also have a reservation for a Rivian R1S. I've mentioned elsewhere that the Rivian forum is hopping, with several hundred members and thousands of posts. A few weeks ago a friend who also follows EVs told me that was because Lucid was not putting out as much information as Rivian. So I sat down and listed what information has been released by both manufacturers (as opposed to speculation by press and posters). It turned out that Lucid has released at least as much information about the Air as Rivian has released about the R1S and R1T.

Below is what can so far be divined about the Air. You may find you already know all this and don't want to slog through the list. If you do, however, I'd appreciate your adding anything to the list of which I'm not aware.

Batteries & Propulsion:

- Plans for a 130-kWh battery pack have been dropped. Due to efficiencies obtained in further powertrain development, the desired 400+ miles of range can be attained with a 110-kWh battery pack.

- Lucid is sourcing cylindrical 21700 batteries for the "standard" versions of the Air from LG Chem. Lucid had an earlier agreement to source batteries from Samsung. It's not clear whether Samsung is still in line to supply the batteries for the upper-end Air. In either case, Lucid claims they co-developed a propriety chemistry with the battery suppliers that will tolerate fast charging with less degradation. They are mum on what that chemistry is, but LG Chem is just now releasing the newest generation of NCM811 batteries.

- The induction motors in the alpha cars have been switched to permanent magnet motors front and rear. Lucid is able to use these motors on both axles -- as opposed to Tesla, which uses them only on the front axle -- because they have developed a means to substantially reduce cogging torque that can make an idle or low-rpm motor shudder.

- Lucid is going to run at "over" 900 volts, nearing the practical safety limit of 1,000 volts in a passenger vehicle. This will reduce the current flow, and thus the heat, and thus the cooling requirements in the entire power system.

- Lucid's motors develop 600 hp. The Air platform can take up to three of these motors, but the initial cars will use two motors (one for each axle), producing a total of about 1,000 hp. (The output is less than 1,200 hp due to limits on the battery pack's output.)

- Lucid originally said it was going to use a cycloidal transmission. Rawlinson now says it will be an epicyclic transmission.

- Lucid's inverters will use state-of-the-art MOSFET chips, yielding industry-leading inverter efficiencies with greater heat tolerance.

- The inverter-motor-transmission assembly for each axle weighs 160 pounds. This will be the most volumetrically- and weight-dense power output in the industry.

- The inverter electronics and the transmission gearing have been selected to obtain higher efficiencies at highway speeds than at the speed averages around which EPA testing is built. While this may yield a lower EPA range rating than might otherwise be obtained, it means the car will come closer to attaining that range in real-world highway driving than other EVs.

- The Air will achieve an efficiency of at least 4 miles/kWh. This will be the highest efficiency of an EV of its size and weight. (For reference, Tesla's most efficient EV is the Model 3, which posts 4.1 miles/kWh, but is a smaller and lighter car.)

Autonomous Driving:

- Lucid will have all the hardware for Level 5 full autonomous driving. At start of production, the Air will be delivered with autopilot capability somewhere between Level 2 and 3. Over-the-air updates will advance the levels as software development and regulatory approvals allow.

- Lucid is sourcing its autonomous driving technology from Mobileye. Unlike Tesla, which uses only optical cameras, the Mobileye approach runs two systems in parallel. The primary system is exclusively camera based with 8 cameras. The secondary system uses radar and lidar sensors whose inputs are constantly compared to the camera inputs to fill in data gaps or help analyze conflicting inputs. Mobileye is moving from its "EyeQ4" chip to its much more powerful "EyeQ5" chip around the time that the Air goes into production. It's not clear which chip will be in the early production models.

- Lucid's autonomous driving program is run by Eugene Lee, a PhD who ran Cadillac's well-regarded SuperCruise program.

Exterior/Interior Features:

- The Air has a drag coefficient of 0.21, the lowest figure of any full-size sedan. The car will have two small radiators instead of the usual one large radiator for battery and powertrain cooling, both fed by small patented vortex-generating air inputs which were key to reducing the drag coefficient.

- The executive rear seating option is aimed at the Asian chauffeur-driven market and will not be available in the early production runs for the U.S. market.

- The Dream Edition will have a glass canopy roof. Although electrochromic dimming was in the early design plans, there has been no confirmation about whether dimming will make it to production.

- The car will have 19" and 21" wheels available. At least the 21" wheel has an aerodynamic design.

- The 10 pivoting LED headlights on each side of the alpha cars have been replaced with 6 larger, fixed LEDs on each side of the production version with a less linear size progression (i,e., looks a little clunkier).

- There have been photographs of two version of the front trunk of the Air. The later version has slightly larger wheel/strut tower covers, reducing the sizable front trunk just marginally. There will be under-floor storage in the rear trunk.

- The rear floor well configuration of the Air is unclear. Early photos showed recessed floor wells in the executive seating version (which was the reason it was not planned for the largest 130-kWh battery pack) and a flat rear floor board in the bench seat version, as the recessed wells were filled with additional battery modules. However, something might have changed with the plans now to use a 110-kWh pack as the largest. In the shadowy video Lucid teased of the production version, you can just make out a carpet cutaway over what appears to be a bump in the middle of the rear floorboard. This might mean that the bench seat version will now have deeper footwells for the outboard passengers.

Time to Market:

- The first Design Studio (with an alpha car on display) was opened in Newark, CA in February 2020. After a dressy preview of a final production car to reservation holders in late February, it was closed due to Covid-19 and has not reopened. Seven more design studios planned for this year, including ones in West Palm Beach and Miami, will not open until near the end of the year -- assuming the virus resurgence does not cause additional delays.

- The only "production" version of the car that has been built so far is the one car that was destined for the New York Auto Show. Neither press nor public have had access to it since February.

- The new factory in Case Grande, AZ will start producing final production cars in August. These cars are for manufacturing quality control assessments and will not be sold. The first cars destined for customers will probably enter production in December or January.

I just found out my financial advisor in New York put down a deposit on a Lucid Air two years ago, about the time I did. I wonder if this is just a rare coincidence or if there are more interested parties out there than we realize.

We're both anxiously awaiting the September reveal and are going to pow-wow as soon as it's over.

I just found out my financial advisor in New York put down a deposit on a Lucid Air two years ago, about the time I did. I wonder if this is just a rare coincidence or if there are more interested parties out there than we realize.

We're both anxiously awaiting the September reveal and are going to pow-wow as soon as it's over.

Please let me know what you decide to do after the reveal.

I still find it curious that I was able to reserve a Dream Edition just last month. However, my salesperson did tell me that they had a cancellation due to a change in life situation. Maybe I just lucked out?

After our talk today, my advisor is thinking about trying to up his reservation to a Dream Edition. If he does try, I'll let you know what they tell him.

The Lucid Motors website has a new opening video. It appears to be the production car, as the rear roof crossbar is missing the two small fins of the prototypes. As with the earlier teaser video, it is very atmospheric -- a bit fuzzy and poorly lit, showing only small bits of the car. The video cannot be paused, so it's hard to ferret out much detail. About the only thing new it shows is that the front seat backs are reconfigured and no longer have the winged headrests of the alpha cars. From what little you can see, they appear to be rather luxurious and more conventional-looking than the seats in the alpha prototypes.

Something I forgot to put on the list of information that has been released about the Lucid Air: noise cancellation.

Lucid issued a lengthy press release in 2017 that details their approach, which is based both on active noise cancellation through the audio system and the use of acoustic glass:

I have had a few cars that use some level of noise cancellation. The most recent is my Honda Odyssey minivan with both noise cancellation technology and acoustic glass that make it the quietest minivan on the market. However, the Odyssey active noise cancellation focuses primarily on reducing engine harmonics in the cabin and relies on acoustic glass to reduce wind and tire noise. (Lucid is using electronic active noise cancellation over a much wider spectrum.) My experience thus far is that these technologies do not make the vehicles anywhere near as quiet as a tomb, but they do yield subtle reductions that make it easier to converse and listen to music at highway speeds -- and that make the constant droning of road noises on long trips less wearisome.

In the past few days, two press reports have claimed that the Air is not going to be on the market until the second half of 2021. A "Teslarati" article this week wrote that "order fulfillment is planned for the second half of 2021." Today "Hot Cars' wrote, "this revolutionary car comes on the market in fall 2021 . . . ."

I find this alarming, as I also have a reservation on a Rivian R1S. For almost a year, Rivian has said that their truck would hit the market around December 2020 and the SUV around February 2021. Last week Rivian announced that both dates have been moved out six months, to June and August 2021, respectively.

Even with Covid-19 issues, Lucid has been claiming they are on track to start producing customer cars this coming December or January.

Why is the press starting to talk about late next year? Are they picking up something that Lucid is not communicating to reservation holders?

Probably speculations given the situations with the pandemic and delays it's causing on others such as Rivian that Lucid would be in the same predicament. Lucid has been quiet but that is sometimes a good thing. I guess all we can do is sit back and wait for September and hopefully Lucid will give us more concrete release dates for us reservation holders. I can wait another year but hopefully won't be longer than that.

From this article: https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...zona-desert/articleshow/75911132.cms?from=mdr

Lucid so far has avoided virus-related pitfalls other electric-vehicle startups have suffered. China’s Byton has furloughed half its California staff and delayed the start of vehicle production in China. Rivian Automotive, backed by Amazon and Ford Motor, also has delayed the start of production for its all-electric pickup and SUV.

Lucid says it has actually accelerated hiring, adding 120 new employees since mid-March, and is currently advertising 250 open positions. The company has not furloughed any of its employees or cut pay or hours, and it’s actively recruiting from competitors, Rawlinson said.

Lucid says it has actually accelerated hiring, adding 120 new employees since mid-March, and is currently advertising 250 open positions. The company has not furloughed any of its employees or cut pay or hours, and it’s actively recruiting from competitors, Rawlinson said.

I have also received confirmation that Lucid is currently hiring for the Florida service facility. Don't know where it will be located, however, I was reassured that it would be a full service facility and that they will pick up our Lucid Air's for any required service.

"DreamDrive" ADAS just announced / released - https://thebrakereport.com/lucid-motors-announces-dreamdrive-adas/

Confirms customer deliveries in early 2021.

I had not seen this, Hawk. Thanks

Jaxx, I think that India Times article was published back during the first round of Covid-19 shutdowns in California. My concern is whether the resurgence of the virus in California and its recent upsurge in Arizona have occasioned delays in both the beta test driving program and factory preparations about which we have not yet heard.

Now I'm curious about "DreamDrive". My understanding had been that the Air was going to be introduced with driving assistance somewhere between Level 2 and 3 (which is where Tesla currently is . . . or claims to be) but would have hardware to enable it to reach Level 5 once software and database advances matured to that point.

However, this article seems to suggest the Air will start with Level 2 assistance and eventually advance only to Level 3:

"We have ensured that the Lucid DreamDrive hardware and software platform not only offers a full suite of Level 2 features, but is also Level 3 ready, which means we’ll be able to quickly add features and functions over-the-air throughout the lifetime of Lucid Air and for future Lucid models."

Despite Musk's crowing that he's about to introduce Level 5 to Tesla, most actual experts in the field think Level 5 is some years away. It seems Lucid is in the latter camp.

I had a lengthy chat with my Lucid sales rep yesterday. Here are the highlights:

- Equipment installation and even some construction is still underway at the factory in Casa Grande. She had not heard anything about the first test vehicles being built there in late August. She asked if I could send her my source, so I sent her the report from the Pinal County News of the interview where the Mayor of Casa Grande made the statement after a factory tour. She thinks the test production run will include some non-sale cars that will be sent to design studios for display.

- There have been some hiccoughs with suppliers, mostly driven by Covid-19 delays, but none thus far are threatening production timelines.

- Lucid still plans to start manufacture of customer-bound cars by the end of the year with deliveries to commence sometime in January.

- Construction is still on track for the eight design studios that are currently under construction, but their timelines probably have more risk than the factory construction timeline. The two Florida studios will not open before "the very end" of 2020.

- The Design Studio in Newark, CA that hosted the February reveal is still closed with no date set for reopening, due to the resurgence of Covid-19 in California.

- The Air's glass canopy will have electrochromic glass (the lack of which is the only reason I would not go forward with a Dream Edition order). However, the engineer who answered her question would not say definitively that the earliest production cars would have it. She added, however, that engineers there typically refuse to make firm time commitments to the sales people. Her guess is that the initial cars will have it.

- She did not know what happened to the relationship with Mobileye, although she suspects it is because Eugene Lee wanted to go in a different direction once he arrived to take over the ADAS program.

Back