Look, another Edmunds hit piece!

Whidbilly, I'm an outsider too, I don't own one yet, however I saw the piece as flawed for the reasons I posted above. There appear to be logical inconsistencies in their reasoning and I don't think they're giving the model a fair shake.

Hi Whidbilly99,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate your viewpoint. My main problem is the disparity between the Edmund ratings and other car magazines. If you peruse though various threads, you'll see examples where we feel the testing (infamous 19" wheels for performance evaluation) or conclusions (don't recommend buying the car due to software issues that are already fixed) that don't seem logical, especially for "car guys".
May I ask, if after reading the article, are you still interested in the Air Pure? I'm hoping that you will at least test drive the car before making a final decision. No car is perfect and you'll hear plenty of gripes on the forum. But rarely do you hear that someone regrets buying the car for performance issues.

I finally calmed myself down enough to look at the video. It was not as bad as I feared, as they did point out that their car was probably not representative of what one would find with later production cars.

However, one thing really annoyed me. When the original Model S came out and people were grumbling about its price, Musk (who could still be conditionally trusted in those days) candidly said that a lot of the price was a premium to help recover development costs. It's the same with early Lucid pricing and with so many other high-technology products that carry early-adopter price premiums for first generations.

As a mature automotive review enterprise, "Edmunds" should have an understanding of this instead of griping about what one should expect for $140,000. Designing and building an all-new product in an all-new facility is a very different endeavor from introducing a new model from a company with mature organizations, long-amortized facilities, established supply chains, etc. If you're going to harp about the price, at least mention why the price is what it is.

It was not as bad as I feared, as they did point out that their car was probably not representative of what one would find with later production cars.
That's true, however, in closing out the piece on Lucid, they seemed to take delight in giving it a hearty thumbs down based on comments that completely disregarded the seemingly-accommodating statements they made earlier. Which is it? Do they think it's matured or not? If so, would why point to evidence of change, then ignore it shortly after in the final summation? It's like they're chomping at the bit to give them a hard time due to resentment/frustration with the car. I would SORT of get it, too, had they indicated that they had gone through normal steps to resolve the issues that had them all bent out of shape to begin with. It's just comes across as amateur hour. I used to find their reporting quite objective in years past (knowing nothing of the vehicles I was reading about).

That's true, however, in closing out the piece on Lucid, they seemed to take delight in giving it a hearty thumbs down based on comments that completely disregarded the seemingly-accommodating statements they made earlier. Which is it? Do they think it's matured or not? If so, would why point to evidence of change, then ignore it shortly after in the final summation? It's like they're chomping at the bit to give them a hard time due to resentment/frustration with the car. I would SORT of get it, too, had they indicated that they had gone through normal steps to resolve the issues that had them all bent out of shape to begin with. It's just comes across as amateur hour. I used to find their reporting quite objective in years past (knowing nothing of the vehicles I was reading about).

I'm in no mind to disagree. As I said, given "Edmunds" track record, I opened the video fearing the worst. I was just a bit surprised that they made any accommodating statements at all.

I've done quite a bit of posting about how ridiculous "Edmunds" coverage of Lucid has been -- things like that moronic race between an Air on 19" all-season tires against an Acura NSX on fat summer rubber. When I said they were a mature organization it was a reference to how long they've been in the business of reviewing cars, not to how grown up and responsible they are in doing it.

Yeah I didn't find the reviewers professional. And when you complain bitterly about the fit and finish of a GT but go out your way to gush about the luxury of the BMW, well 🤔

Hi Whidbilly99,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate your viewpoint. My main problem is the disparity between the Edmund ratings and other car magazines. If you peruse though various threads, you'll see examples where we feel the testing (infamous 19" wheels for performance evaluation) or conclusions (don't recommend buying the car due to software issues that are already fixed) that don't seem logical, especially for "car guys".
May I ask, if after reading the article, are you still interested in the Air Pure? I'm hoping that you will at least test drive the car before making a final decision. No car is perfect and you'll hear plenty of gripes on the forum. But rarely do you hear that someone regrets buying the car for performance issues.
I went to the Seattle Lucid shop yesterday........they said they are not allowed by law (in state of Washington) to do test drives or even sales info or purchasing.

The Pure is still a hit my book.........just wish for a heat pump.

Also I would trade my 2023 Model S.........for that 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring.........in a heart beat!
and...........My Model S has been flawless......have done 3 2900 mile round trips to Southern Calif
Since buying it Oct 2023.

Did all the Edmond guys say they would not buy a lucid in the future based on this testing? That would be very premature.

The biggest turn off for me with EV reviews ........if I sense the reviewer is just a 'Fan' or cult follower.

The biggest turn off for me with EV reviews ........if I sense the reviewer is just a 'Fan' or cult follower.
I would say either direction. But even fanboy/hater reviews can be useful if they are read in context and against the opposite viewpoint. tone down the praise or hatred and there are usually some useful nuggets.

I went to the Seattle Lucid shop yesterday........they said they are not allowed by law (in state of Washington) to do test drives or even sales info or purchasing.

Also I would trade my 2023 Model S.........for that 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring.........in a heart beat!
and...........My Model S has been flawless......have done 3 2900 mile round trips to Southern Calif

Did all the Edmond guys say they would not buy a lucid in the future based on this testing? That would be very premature.

I went from a model S to a Lucid Air Touring. Couldn’t be happier. Lucid definitely handles better than the model S, has more space and efficiency. The addition of a few buttons is a big plus. Interior quality much better. Feels like you are actually driving a luxury car.

Software more intuitive than a Tesla that has everything on one screen- Lucid has 3 screens to divide up the functions. Lucid doesn’t have autonomous driving , but I don’t want that until it’s safer than any human, including a rally car driver! A few software glitches now and again, but software slowly improving. Apple CarPlay is a big plus, as is the 360 surround camera, rear cross detect with braking!

On balance, better than Model S in almost every “usable” aspect.

I had my Lucid 18 months, still itching to take it out for a drive. The Model S never made me feel that way and I was always thinking of a reason to sell the car, Lucid gave me a way out!

I'm an outsider here.............I don't have a lucid Air.......Have never driven a Lucid Air............but.................I want a new Lucid Air Pure RWD

Currently own a 2023 Tesla Model S and previously owned a Rivian R1T (was totaled).

I saw the Edmunds review of Lucid Air GT 2022 as reasonable, the Lucid forums have left me understanding this models flaws and frustrations.

EV's today are in a development and transitional period. There is not enough history to always pick the right EV........I'm focusing on Technology, Owner Satisfaction and Safety issues.
I am not a Lucid Air (Touring) “fanboy,” just an extremely delighted owner. The software continues to improve with their updates. As for the engineering and design - I don’t think you can find any better. It turns corners and heads equally well.

I went from a model S to a Lucid Air Touring. Couldn’t be happier. Lucid definitely handles better than the model S, has more space and efficiency. The addition of a few buttons is a big plus. Interior quality much better. Feels like you are actually driving a luxury car.

Software more intuitive than a Tesla that has everything on one screen- Lucid has 3 screens to divide up the functions. Lucid doesn’t have autonomous driving , but I don’t want that until it’s safer than any human, including a rally car driver! A few software glitches now and again, but software slowly improving. Apple CarPlay is a big plus, as is the 360 surround camera, rear cross detect with braking!

On balance, better than Model S in almost every “usable” aspect.

I had my Lucid 18 months, still itching to take it out for a drive. The Model S never made me feel that way and I was always thinking of a reason to sell the car, Lucid gave me a way out!
That's an awesome summary. I have feeling that when mine arrives, I'll be looking for ANY excuse to drive it.

Washington car sales law sounds crazy...maybe they should "rent" cars by the hour?

Back