Long drive, no chargers

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi Everyone:
I often drive from Palisades Ski area (ex Squaw Valley) to Mammoth Mt. That takes me down 395 on the east side of the Sierra mt range. I don't see any DC chargers from South Lake Tahoe to Mammoth, 135 miles, the weather can be atrocious, and cell coverage is poor. I can charge at my cousin's place in Mammoth.

How would all of you more experienced Lucid owners feel about that kind of drive in terms of reliability, range and snow/wind/cold?
  1. No problem,
  2. No way, or
  3. Carry a sat phone and hope for the best
Thanks!

Hi Everyone:
I often drive from Palisades Ski area (ex Squaw Valley) to Mammoth Mt. That takes me down 395 on the east side of the Sierra mt range. I don't see any DC chargers from South Lake Tahoe to Mammoth, 135 miles, the weather can be atrocious, and cell coverage is poor. I can charge at my cousin's place in Mammoth.

How would all of you more experienced Lucid owners feel about that kind of drive in terms of reliability, range and snow/wind/cold?
  1. No problem,
  2. No way, or
Thanks!
135 miles should be a non-issue. I'd start to think hard at 250 miles in inclement weather. There is an EA location in Bridgeport, though I haven't visited personally.
BTW Plugshare.com works well for planning trips and scoping out charging locations.

Last edited:
135 miles should be a non-issue. I'd start to think hard at 250 miles in inclement weather. There is an EA location in Bridgeport, though I haven't visited personally.
BTW Plugshare.com works well for planning trips and scoping out charging locations.
250 miles of inclement weather in a GT, that is. Touring and Pure proportionally less. Inclement weather efficiency is a good idea for a thread - I'll start one.

250 miles of inclement weather in a GT, that is. Touring and Pure proportionally less. Inclement weather efficiency is a good idea for a thread - I'll start one.
Assuming you'll leave Squaw with full charge, you will lose some range going from Squaw to the 395. Since it is winter and you will likely take it easy on the 395, 135 miles shouldn't be an issue.

Assuming you'll leave Squaw with full charge, you will lose some range going from Squaw to the 395. Since it is winter and you will likely take it easy on the 395, 135 miles shouldn't be an issue.
Sorry, old habit of still calling Palisades Tahoe by the old name, Squaw Valley.

Hi Everyone:

1. No problem,
  2. No way, or
Thanks!

No problem at all, even in the absolute worst of conditions. The lowest m/kWh I ever had was around 2.1-2.3, in lots of snow and subzero temps.

Thanks. good answers, I'll check out plugshare.
Regarding reliability, are up-to-date 2022 Lucids significantly less reliable (major problems that strand you) than gas-powered luxury sedans?

Thanks. good answers, I'll check out plugshare.
Regarding reliability, are up-to-date 2022 Lucids significantly less reliable (major problems that strand you) than gas-powered luxury sedans?

That’s an awfully difficult question to answer without published statistics. Most of us have been fine with our 2022s, including myself.
There have been failures documented on this forum, but I wouldn’t waste too much energy worrying about it. That being said, it’s always good to be prepared for anything, whether you’re in an ICE or EV.

Agreed, I always take normal precautions... warm clothes, water, and a little food -- I've been stuck on Donner pass for 12+ hours.

Thanks,

Agreed, I always take normal precautions... warm clothes, water, and a little food -- I've been stuck on Donner pass for 12+ hours.

Thanks,

Glad you didn’t become a cannibal

Hi Everyone:

1. No problem,
  2. No way, or
Thanks!
Also what rims/tires do you have? Summer tires are not recommended for below 45 degrees

I pick up my car late this week or next with 19" wheels. I'm undecided about getting the snow tires.

Have folks been getting flats with the all-season or snow tires? We always got flats in our BMW x3 with OEM all seasons. It was a serious pain as the run flats really did not run flat with a big blow and we had to order tires. We switched to winter tires, and that has not been a problem.

I pick up my car late this week or next with 19" wheels. I'm undecided about getting the snow tires.

Have folks been getting flats with the all-season or snow tires? We always got flats in our BMW x3 with OEM all seasons. It was a serious pain as the run flats really did not run flat with a big blow and we had to order tires. We switched to winter tires, and that has not been a problem.
It's relatively rare to get a flat from a pothole etc on 19" wheels and factory all-seasons. Much more common on 21's.
I forgot to say, A Better Route Planner is a competing EV route planner that also generally works well.

Flats are rare on 19s

It's relatively rare to get a flat from a pothole etc on 19" wheels and factory all-seasons. Much more common on 21's.
I forgot to say, A Better Route Planner is a competing EV route planner that also generally works well.
I got one on my 19s. It is not rare.

Back