Brief performance driving report

ac.bill

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 Volt, Air GT
Several weeks ago on a visit to Colorado I got a chance to visit some well known canyon roads but was foiled by rain and construction. Even then I found the high regen setting in Swift mode to be unsuited to spirited driving.

Today I returned to my DFW area home after spending the week in the Ozarks. Every year I join an Arkansas BMW motorcycle club at Cove Lake for a campout, but usually bring a Triumph motorcycle. This year I brought my Air GT w/21". The Lucid's range made the trip a breeze, and I arrived at Mount Magazine with enough battery left for a little play. The ascent from the south, one of my many favorite Ozark roads, cost me almost 3% but was well worth it. Swift mode with the lower regen setting made cornering natural and smooth, but I was not trying for any land speed records in the straight sections of the steep ascent. Descending the north side was at a more contained pace due to the waning sun and number of deer in the area.

A day later I went north to Clarksville to top up and met a man testing the EA chargers. We spoke, but I only later learned from an EA employee that he probably worked for ABB. more about that later if you are interested.

After topping up we went up Arkansas 103 for lunch in Oark, a renowned biker burger joint popular with the sportscar crowd. The ride up was hampered by a slow truck but the ride back down was an eye-opener. In the passenger seat I had the cousin who had introduced me to motorcycles and then 4-wheel on-track driving. We have shared many high-speed adventures. In the back I had a genuinely quick motorcyclist. The ride back stunned both of them.

I started in Swift, low regen, low TC and half way switched to Sprint with the same settings. I found trail braking to the apex then blending in power to be much more natural with regen on low, much smoother. I still wish there were an even lower regen setting. The mechanical brakes (when you actually get to use them) are phenomenal and progressive. Tire grip far exceeded my expectations, especially in transition (I started the run at 40PSI) . I found myself getting on the power even before the apex, indicating that I had been too timid. Switching to Sprint mode I was able to get the GT to push just a little bit on exit, barely.

My passengers were dumbfounded, as was I. My front seat passenger complained about the lack of an "Oh Shit!" handle to grab onto. I didn't have his side bolsters turned up enough, I guess. I myself was thunderstruck by the Air's capabilities, and I even more now want to test it on track. So....

If any Lucid Air owners (Lucid, are you listening?) are interested in a Lucid Air Track Day event (I mean "Driving School") Please get in touch. For me, Cresson Motorsports Ranch is the nearest but I will travel anywherein the US that an event is organized. I would love to tell you what this car is like at the limit, but the simple truth is that I can't because I haven't come close that it yet.

*Disclaimer: Always follow traffic laws, Avoid excessive speeds. Be mindful of road and traffic conditions. Don't be a "kitty" when you realize you bought one of the fastest cars ever made.

So ... ABB ?

Are they installing/designing/servicing EA stations?

So ... ABB ?

Are they installing/designing/servicing EA stations?
ABB built the original EA chargers, supposedly from industrial power supplies as a stopgap. EA is now installing more reliable chargers from a different manufacturer in new locations and upgrading selected troublesome locations.

ABB built the original EA chargers, supposedly from industrial power supplies as a stopgap. EA is now installing more reliable chargers from a different manufacturer in new locations and upgrading selected troublesome locations.
Ahh... thanks for the clarification.

now, I hope they install more EA chargers (esp. near me :))

I'll be going around Laguna Seca Raceway tomorrow morning as a front seat passenger in an Air GT Performance. Not quite as much horsepower as my Dream Performance but should be exhilerating in any case. I used to run my 911 on this track a number of years back so I am very familiar with the course.

I'll be going around Laguna Seca Raceway tomorrow morning as a front seat passenger in an Air GT Performance. Not quite as much horsepower as my Dream Performance but should be exhilerating in any case. I used to run my 911 on this track a number of years back so I am very familiar with the course.
No way! I’ll actually be there too! We should try to meet up <3

I’m so stoked for the ride along

Yeah the one that would no longer charge my car no matter what myself, EA or Lucid did was an ABB unit. 👎👎👎

That sounds like a blast, but it's always more fun behind the wheel. I assume this is a Lucid sponsored event? I don't know of any private owners getting GTPs yet.

That sounds like a blast, but it's always more fun behind the wheel. I assume this is a Lucid sponsored event? I don't know of any private owners getting GTPs yet.
Lucid is participating in the Velocity Invitational here at Laguna Seca. This is one of only six events here where they allow unlimited noise. When I ran here in the past with PCA we were limited to 90 decibels which was pretty loud but the volume from the cars running here today and all weekend is unbelievably loud. There are over 1000 cars of every vintage and brand you can imagine in the infield and the track is constantly occupied. Anyway Lucid has a private parking area for their guests and a large area in the infield with four Lucids on display. They also have a GT Performance set up as an Official Pace Car for the event (this is the car I'll be riding in tomorrow morning). As an aside, I have seen multiple GT Performance cars at the Millbrae Center over the past few weeks awaiting delivery to customers. I'm pretty sure some have already been delivered.

Lucid is participating in the Velocity Invitational here at Laguna Seca. This is one of only six events here where they allow unlimited noise. When I ran here in the past with PCA we were limited to 90 decibels which was pretty loud but the volume from the cars running here today and all weekend is unbelievably loud. There are over 1000 cars of every vintage and brand you can imagine in the infield and the track is constantly occupied. Anyway Lucid has a private parking area for their guests and a large area in the infield with four Lucids on display. They also have a GT Performance set up as an Official Pace Car for the event (this is the car I'll be riding in tomorrow morning). As an aside, I have seen multiple GT Performance cars at the Millbrae Center over the past few weeks awaiting delivery to customers. I'm pretty sure some have already been delivered.
Sounds Awesome; enjoy!

Really cool experience today. The Lucid GTP was our ride; it was the same car that Ben Collins drove at Goodwin to set the record. We had a professional driver. They were using the Lucid as a Pace car. I had two slow Pace Car laps and two full out hot laps. Car’s handling was unbelievably good. I’ve probably run well over 100 laps on this course when I was younger so I am very familiar with the line. Our driver really pushed the car hard and it never wavered off the fast line. Great day!! Another highlight was I stood right next to Mario Andretti right after he drove the track as part of the McLaren Team.

Really cool experience today. The Lucid GTP was our ride; it was the same car that Ben Collins drove at Goodwin to set the record. We had a professional driver. They were using the Lucid as a Pace car. I had two slow Pace Car laps and two full out hot laps. Car’s handling was unbelievably good. I’ve probably run well over 100 laps on this course when I was younger so I am very familiar with the line. Our driver really pushed the car hard and it never wavered off the fast line. Great day!! Another highlight was I stood right next to Mario Andretti right after he drove the track as part of the McLaren Team.

Attachments

• BA6C0941-B8BB-4D28-9D52-4443E45C581F.jpeg
    BA6C0941-B8BB-4D28-9D52-4443E45C581F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
  • BB8575BE-0E65-402E-A82E-C72E9DB3A581.jpeg
    BB8575BE-0E65-402E-A82E-C72E9DB3A581.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
  • 30C421A8-92F9-4B43-8D34-954AA1907B93.jpeg
    30C421A8-92F9-4B43-8D34-954AA1907B93.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 117
Wow!
Congrats! .. seems like the only way it could've been better is if "the Stig" himself drove.

Wow!
Congrats! .. seems like the only way it could've been better is if "the Stig" himself drove.
Yeah, @LucidDropkick and I were lucky enough to attend today as well, and man, I still can't seem to get the grin off my face. The event itself was wildly cool, and the track time was even more wild.

I did run the Laguna Seca raceway a few years ago using M-B GTs. Great Fun. I love the corkscrew part.

They are delivering GTP's now. I took delivery of mine on 09/27.

Back