Lightning strikes twice. Two blowouts yesterday.

At the end of September I switched from 21s to 19s. I had two tires with bubbles and since I live in Maryland I need all-season tires. I couldn't find all-season 21s, so I chose to switch to 19s. Obtaining 21 winter tires when two of my summer tires produced bubbles in about four months of driving was not economical. I was afraid winter 21s might also produce bubbles just as quickly. In over 40 years of driving I had never had a bubble on a tire before. I've learned more about bubbles on tires and potholes in the last seven months than I ever wanted to know about tires at all. I am much more careful on roads that I know are uneven and avoid roads with known potholes.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the 21 rims and 2 good tires. So far, Lucid has not responded to my request for assistance with the 2 bad tires.

I’m not particularly happy with Lucid service right now. I called this problem in on Friday and had my car towed to my town that day. After speaking to service Saturday and determined that I’ll go with the 19s I was told there was a 95% chance that a set with tires was already in white plains. I told them I need the car for a vacation trip by Friday. I kept calling on Monday to get the car towed to white plains but did not get anyone till the afternoon. Ok it will get towed first thing tues.9am I was also told somewhat ominously that lucid “should “pay for the second tow. The tow finally came at 1130, getting to white plains after 1. I talked to service finally at 5pm. I received the news those rims and tires are earmarked for another customer, we would order mine right away, should be in earliest Friday, maybe Monday. WTF?!? Why was this a mystery until tues afternoon after 4 days have passed? Now I’m up against a hard deadline. I need the car to keep the dogs cool inside when we are at an event and that’s less than a 50/50 chance now. I realize lucid service is probably understaffed but come on guys a two minute call to confirm the tires /rims were available on Saturday or even Monday would have guaranteed delivery of a second set with at least a day to spare. Now I’m probably screwed

Like many auto parts, tire availability has become a problem. I developed a leak in one tire. Costco ordered the replacement for me but after the usual two days nothing; three days nothing. On the fourth day I called. The associate said that they had to order it from out of state and would be available after the weekend. He also said he checked around and nobody had it. I finally checked myself and found a discount tire sixteen miles away that had a couple of them. I drove out there and a good part of the trip was on a road with a 50 mph speed limit. I ended up turning on my blinkers and driving 42 mph in the rightmost lane. But I did get a new tire.

The point is that BEVs tend to need stronger tires because of the weight of the vehicle and there are not a lot of them out there. For whatever availability is out there, you are competing with new cars being assembled. Hopefully Lucid realizes that taking care of customers is as important, if not more important, than building more cars. Good luck.

Back