Lane Departure Protection: Annoying at best. Hazardous at worst.

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Lucid’s Lane Departure Protection doesn’t work on many of the smaller roads in Massachusetts. Because roads are repaired pretty poorly in this state, the Lucid keeps thinking the lines where asphalt has been laid down to repair cracks are the lane markings. So, it actually fights my trying to stay centered in the lane, usually trying to make me veer onto the shoulder. Furthermore, the roads in this state are narrow and twisty with irregular median lines, so the Lucid tries to fight against your steering when you go around curves. It’s nervewracking to feel the car fight against you randomly due to road repair or try to interfere with your line when going around a curve.

The only way to deal with it is to turn Lane Departure Protection off because Lucid only offers “intervention” or “intervention + warning.“ How about “warning“ only?

Anyone else running into this issue?

The markings on many roads here in the U.S. are terrible and with all the construction in my area I have turned off this option on my SL550 and plan to do the same on my Lucid.

Yea...it looks for lines which during repairs there are multiple. I'm not sure any lane centering software handles this well. There should be warning or warning+intervention instead of what it is now.

Lucid’s Lane Departure Protection doesn’t work on many of the smaller roads in Massachusetts. Because roads are repaired pretty poorly in this state, the Lucid keeps thinking the lines where asphalt has been laid down to repair cracks are the lane markings. So, it actually fights my trying to stay centered in the lane, usually trying to make me veer onto the shoulder. Furthermore, the roads in this state are narrow and twisty with irregular median lines, so the Lucid tries to fight against your steering when you go around curves. It’s nervewracking to feel the car fight against you randomly due to road repair or try to interfere with your line when going around a curve.

The only way to deal with it is to turn Lane Departure Protection off because Lucid only offers “intervention” or “intervention + warning.“ How about “warning“ only?

Yes - I keep it turned off. Highly annoying. But I also keep it turned off on my other cars, because they are also highly annoying….

Completely agree and I also briefly turned it off because it was just too annoying. But then I got paranoid that Lucid would pull some sneaky move like not push me highway assist if they discover that I’m disabling their lane assist so I turned it back on. Plus I didn’t like the constant icon of a car veering wildly out of lane being displayed on my dash…

Agree. Immediately turned it off. In the midwest every inch matters in the 'pothole avoidance game' and that happens very frequently.

Good point. My 2018 BMW 530e PHEV lets me do exactly that. I have the warning turned on but intervention turned off. Isn't brain surgery!

I found it to be more annoying than useful and turned it off also. I do like the traffic cleared feature and was happy with the performance of adaptive cruise control on my trip to Dallas.

Good point. My 2018 BMW 530e PHEV lets me do exactly that. I have the warning turned on but intervention turned off. Isn't brain surgery!
Mercedes and Ford cars seem to work correctly.

it is a pain and a danger. i turned it off too and feel much safer. a simple warning without interference would be better until it is fixed

it is a pain and a danger. i turned it off too and feel much safer.
This is what I saw in the manual. It doesn't look like the system would fight you if you try to steer away in one direction ("intentional steering").

Lane Departure Protection alerts will be
canceled immediately
if any of the following
actions happen:
- A turn signal is activated
- Intentional steering
- Intentional acceleration
- Intentional braking

I turned mine off too as it was too intrusive. Our Landrover was less intrusive but still too much for my taste. My wife loved it. I hated it.

This is what I saw in the manual. It doesn't look like the system would fight you if you try to steer away in one direction ("intentional steering").

canceled immediately
if any of the following
actions happen:
- Intentional steering
- Intentional braking

My steering through a curve successfully is purely unintentional.

canceled immediately
if any of the following
actions happen:
- Intentional steering
- Intentional braking

It stops fighting after a while but it feels like phantom hands are suddenly tugging your car the other way, often into the shoulder or another lane. It’s not fun.

I had mine enabled the whole time up until this post and disabled it and it felt a lot better. Only thing is the annoying symbol on the screen

I’m used to it from my MS, it’s some resistance on the wheel, I’ve noticed it on the Air as well. Doesn’t bother me, just gives me a slight correction from time to time.

It stops fighting after a while but it feels like phantom hands are suddenly tugging your car the other way, often into the shoulder or another lane. It’s not fun.
I guess I’m used to the previous version of Mercedes lane departure correction which would literally brake one wheel and violently pull you back into the lane, now that was dangerous. The Lucid’s is a mild annoyance but not nearly as severe, and by comparison my wife’s Subaru Eyesight is much more rigid in the steering correction. Mercedes lane keep assist though (which I assume Lucid’s highway assist is the same idea) was excellent. It would take corners for me at 75mph no problem, it would ping pong in the lane a little but not bad. Very useful when you’re fussing with a coffee lid or connecting phone charger or just coming home from a long work day and you’re exhausted.

I had mine enabled the whole time up until this post and disabled it and it felt a lot better. Only thing is the annoying symbol on the screen

Agreed. Not sue why this selection has to remain on the screen. There are other selections made that don't all aggregate on the dash.

Agreed. Not sue why this selection has to remain on the screen. There are other selections made that don't all aggregate on the dash.
Most likely some safety law by the nhtsa

I do find that with my BMW if I am in the right lane and an exit appears. The car wants me to head for the exit. Of course, I am rarely in the right lane.

Back