Just got a crack in my windshield in Malibu =(

xtsla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Got a crack in my windshield 3 weeks after ownership in Malibu =(. Will probably need to get it replaced
IMG_3330.JPEG

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Definitely looks like a replacement will be needed. Hopefully, your car insurance covers it.

Damn! that sucks! sorry to hear that

What is the cost to replace that? Do they have to replace the windshield and whole roof?

Try safelite first. Insurance should cover completely. If that doesn’t work you haven’t lost anything. To replace the glass I’ve heard $1400 plus $400 labor. Not the end of the world but most people have $500 or $1000 deductible for glass so now you are out some money

I think the replacement is close to $2500 out of pocket

I think the replacement is close to $2500 out of pocket
Having had it done, it is $2500. I think the insurance company has been balking at paying all of it, but I think it breaks down to $1600 for the glass and the remainder for the labor. With recalibrating everything, it takes about half a day. Also, installing it is a two person job.

Happened in Malibu, probably when parked on the street. I didn't hear anything while driving.

Well, two days ago my 6 week old Lucid AGT was smacked by a rock. It was very load but I could not see any damage. However, yesterday when I was walking out to get into the car, I saw the nickel sized pockmark. The first two photos show it. You may have to use the closeup tool to see the chip in the upper center part of the windshield in the second photo. Fortunately, it can not be seen from the inside because the mirror and camera housing that floats on the glass roof hides it.
Today, Safelite came to my house and repaired the chip. The fellow did a wonderful job and it is almost impossible to see where it was. If you look very, very closely, you can just pick out a little blemish. However, you really have to know where it is to find it. I am very happy with the result. Furthermore, it was completely covered with my Progressive Ins. policy so no cost to me. I is my understanding that Progressive, like most insurance companies, do not even consider this a claim. Thus, I am not anticipating any impact to my future premiums.

Attachments

• Chip Closeup.jpg
    Chip Closeup.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • Chip.jpg
    Chip.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 87
  • Repaired.jpg
    Repaired.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
  • Repaired Closeup.jpg
    Repaired Closeup.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Definitely looks like a replacement will be needed. Hopefully, your car insurance covers it.
These days there is such a thing called glass insurance $50 deductible. I have it on my Travelers insurance right now,

These days there is such a thing called glass insurance $50 deductible. I have it on my Travelers insurance right now,
The total cost of fixing my rock chip using Safelite who came to my house was just $77 which included tax. Insurance picked it up.

Usually only applies if you're replacing the windshield. Quick repairs by Safelite, etc., usually have no deductible; but it obviously depends on the policy.

Usually only applies if you're replacing the windshield. Quick repairs by Safelite, etc., usually have no deductible; but it obviously depends on the policy.
What I had earlier was $100 deductible on comprehensive which covers the glass. On my Lexus LS 430 and Toyota Sienna 2005 it cost me $200 to replace the entire glass and back then I had $500 deductible. After I lowered my Comp deductible to $100, the premium did not go up as much. When I added a $50 glass deductible and raised the comprehensive to $250 the premium was lower than $100 Comp deductible. So far in 40 years the only time I collected on comp was for the glass about 2 or 3 times. Time will tell if the glass insurance covers chipping damage to other than the windshield but so far I had to replace only the windshield. The thing about insurance is that we never know how good the company is unless you try to collect and then what happens to renewal. BTW, I have no plans of Ceramic or PPF coat because the chipping can be on the body and ceramic or PPF does nothing. Chipping is inevitable if we own cars long enough.

Back