Issue with Discount Tire torquing lug nuts

Steve11ca

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 67 Corvette
Replaced my tires last week at Discount Tire with 8000 miles, 2 bubbles in the front and a slow leak in the rear. Last night while driving to dinner, I started to feel a bit of a vibration in the right front, but not really coming through the wheel. On the way home, the vibration became much more apparent, to the point that I pulled off the road to see if something was in the tire. Pressures had not changed. I got home last night and while checking, I tried to "shake" the front passenger wheel and actually felt movement. I grabbed a ratchet and tightened all 5 lugs which were loose.

I took the car back to Discount Tire this morning and they swore up and down that they torqued all of the wheels to spec. One of the managers said he personally assisted with the car. I have been using this store for more than 15 years and have never had an issue. I don't how all 5 lugs could have gotten loose if proper procedures were followed, but they documented my visit and everything is fine now. I did have them check all of the wheels are retorque them while I was there.

Replaced my tires last week at Discount Tire with 8000 miles, 2 bubbles in the front and a slow leak in the rear. Last night while driving to dinner, I started to feel a bit of a vibration in the right front, but not really coming through the wheel. On the way home, the vibration became much more apparent, to the point that I pulled off the road to see if something was in the tire. Pressures had not changed. I got home last night and while checking, I tried to "shake" the front passenger wheel and actually felt movement. I grabbed a ratchet and tightened all 5 lugs which were loose.

I took the car back to Discount Tire this morning and they swore up and down that they torqued all of the wheels to spec. One of the managers said he personally assisted with the car. I have been using this store for more than 15 years and have never had an issue. I don't how all 5 lugs could have gotten loose if proper procedures were followed, but they documented my visit and everything is fine now. I did have them check all of the wheels are retorque them while I was there.
DT/AT is well known for *over*torqueing, much more frequently than under. I wonder if one of them just forgot about one of the tires? :/

DT/AT is well known for *over*torqueing, much more frequently than under. I wonder if one of them just forgot about one of the tires? :/
That was my thought, but he was very insistent. I wasn't going to argue with him. I just wanted it fixed.

That's probably what happened, but of course no one is going to admit that. I'm sure it was a one time thing. DT has been my go to tire place for as long as I can remember and haven't had anything like that happen.

That was my thought, but he was very insistent. I wasn't going to argue with him. I just wanted it fixed.
Yeah, I hear ya! I don’t mean to badmouth DT/AT - they’re normally great, but have been known to overtorque.

I imagine this was a one-time thing? I’d be really curious to hear from anyone else that experienced anything similar.

When I had my snow tires put on at DT, their spec sheet showed a torque level that was much lower than what Lucid specifies. I advised them of the error and they torqued to the correct spec. Not sure whether their database has been updated, though.

When I had my snow tires put on at DT, their spec sheet showed a torque level that was much lower than what Lucid specifies. I advised them of the error and they torqued to the correct spec. Not sure whether their database has been updated, though.
Where can we find this torque spec? Perhaps @Bobby could add the info to the Lucid Updates -> Wheels and Tires FAQs once the verified specs are noted?
IMG_0261.jpeg

I grew up working on cars, from changing oil in gas stations at 16. I was always taught to re torque lug nuts after 50 or 100 miles. Every tire manufacturer states that, probably because of their lawyers. So does every DT invoice. But it's important. DT and AT will happily DO IT FOR FREE IF YOU TAKE THE TIME. I will bet all other tire installers will as well.

My local DT manager tells me only 1 in a 100 bother. They are happy to do it.

I checked my lug nuts when I got my almost new, 3 month old Lucid. Yes, I am weird. Sure enough, the five lugs on the front wheel where a Lucid service center had replaced a tire were less than 90 ft pounds. Not great. Should have been 110 ft # or 150 NM. The factory set nuts were fine. I bet they torque twice!

Harbor Freight may sell a lot of crummy tools, but their 1/2 in torque wrenches are great value for a homeowner. Many independent tests show that are decently accurate and worth triple the cost. $20 well spent

I grew up working on cars, from changing oil in gas stations at 16. I was always taught to re torque lug nuts after 50 or 100 miles. Every tire manufacturer states that, probably because of their lawyers. So does every DT invoice. But it's important. DT and AT will happily DO IT FOR FREE IF YOU TAKE THE TIME. I will bet all other tire installers will as well.

My local DT manager tells me only 1 in a 100 bother. They are happy to do it.

I checked my lug nuts when I got my almost new, 3 month old Lucid. Yes, I am weird. Sure enough, the five lugs on the front wheel where a Lucid service center had replaced a tire were less than 90 ft pounds. Not great. Should have been 110 ft # or 150 NM. The factory set nuts were fine. I bet they torque twice!

Harbor Freight may sell a lot of crummy tools, but their 1/2 in torque wrenches are great value for a homeowner. Many independent tests show that are decently accurate and worth triple the cost. $20 well spent
Here is a great comparison of various historic wrenches from Project Farm:

Back