Is Surreal Sound Pro worth the cost?

Thanks @borski I appreciate your efforts and broadening my outlook!!! Sorry, I have a deep seated, unrealistic, negative reaction for Tidal that is similar to my uncontrollable dislike for THE DAMN PIRELLI POS TIRES (rant over). The MQA codec was invented back when people had slow internet connections and was a compression/file size compromise. MQA is now antiquated as gigabit fiber is commonplace.

When I mentioned to the engineers at PS Audio that my new Lucid did Atmos music on Tidal, there was a lot of head scratching.
Great company you're with. I've bought a couple of CDs, from them. Good stuff.

USB doesn’t do Atmos.

Try putting this on a USB stick with 2.1.2/2.1.3

Wait does it do Atmos now?

You sold me on the Hammond B3!

Thanks @borski I appreciate your efforts and broadening my outlook!!! Sorry, I have a deep seated, unrealistic, negative reaction for Tidal that is similar to my uncontrollable dislike for THE DAMN PIRELLI POS TIRES (rant over). The MQA codec was invented back when people had slow internet connections and was a compression/file size compromise. MQA is now antiquated as gigabit fiber is commonplace.

When I mentioned to the engineers at PS Audio that my new Lucid did Atmos music on Tidal, there was a lot of head scratching. Why? As you know, Dolby Atmos was invented for home theater and films, and simply adds height channels.

I just played a few FLAC tracks recorded from vinyl, tube phono preamp, over the Lucid USB. I am even more elated. Before playing FLAC tracks over USB on the Lucid, I also thought the bass was weak. IT IS NOT. The other source material was crap.

IMHO, the Lucid sound system has the SAME problem as high resolution home and studio set ups. With true high resolution playback, crap sounds like crap. I have helped many friends and customers set up their first high resolution sound system, even ones costing modest amounts (under $5K) but choosing great revealing components. A very common complaint is that their former favorite music now sounds like shit on this new "high res" system. They are not thrilled that MP3s are now unlistenable. As luxury cars get better and better systems, source material is and will continue to be critical.

When I was young, the Beach Boys 8 track tape always sounded GREAT in the cheap player bolted to the transmission tunnel of my Firebird, with Layfette speakers bolted under the parcel shelf.
Ah I didn’t see this post before. For Atmos, what impresses me most is new mixes of older tracks that have been done for the format of prior recordings with the artist blessing. Having a true center and dedicated LFE channel plus being able to spread room reverb to height and surrounds creates a remarkable mix and creative opportunities. Having come from the film sound world yeah it was originally just an upgrade from 5.1, but I’m very much enjoying what Atmos is doing for music lately. Even cantankerous golden ears mixer Bob Clearmountain agrees (though he’s skeptical it will see mass adoption, but hey I think the car is the place to show off what Atmos can do!).
As for Tidal MQA, it does sound better than the best that Spotify can offer, so for those who don’t have a big FLAC/24bit/96khz library to put on a USB, it does the job. But yes I agree the USB audio on the car is extraordinary and superior quality to everything else, like it’s very obvious when you’ve heard it. I only wish the interface for playing the USB tracks wasn’t so clunky. Also Atmos in Tidal is not MQA, it’s Dolby Digital + 760kbps mp4 which is the standard codec for Atmos. My friend who’s an audio engineer who mixes in and records in Atmos format regularly said he felt Tidal was still out in front of all of the other options for Atmos.

IMO the SSP is outstanding when the car is at rest, but the engine whine during motion makes it not worth the extra cost.
The sound dampening folks may want to take inspiration from attached picture when upgrading design.
Found that song when searching power ballads

Attachments

• 20230719_141510.jpg
    20230719_141510.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 71
IMO the SSP is outstanding when the car is at rest, but the engine whine during motion makes it not worth the extra cost.
The sound dampening folks may want to take inspiration from attached picture when upgrading design.
Found that song when searching power ballads

I must respectfully, but enthusiastically , disagree with you on this point. With appropriate volume adjustments, especially in Atmos, the system is quite good at masking any motor whine, which in my opinion is not particularly intrusive.
SSP is one of the very best aspects of the whole car; I just love it, both while sitting I’m my garage and while driving. It is an absolute must have to round out the experience. 😊

Back