OTHER Indicated speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t excusing it, I was explaining it. You need to stop saying you expect more. It comes off antagonizing and elitist; trust me, I expect a lot. I just also understand reasonable explanations for things.
Not sure why I shouldn't expect more? How is it entilist when I purchased the car and expect the speedometer to be correct? I guess we just think different.

Whether you “expect more” is entirely irrelevant. You can rest assured that it will never display less than the actual speed, as that would be very very illegal in any jurisdiction.
You mean expecting more from a car company is irrelevant to you. It's not to me.

Not sure why I shouldn't expect more? How is it entilist when I purchased the car and expect the speedometer to be correct? I guess we just think different.

You mean expecting more from a car company is irrelevant to you. It's not to me.
You're missing his point. And again, you are being insulting while doing it.

No one said you shouldn't have high expectations. And your suggestion that others here have lower expectations than you is both inaccurate and incredibly rude.

When you say you "expect more", I am guessing you expect Lucid to be capable of making a spedometer that is 100% accurate. But you are failing to consider they may be perfectly capable of that and yet have made the choice to underreport speed for other perfectly legitimate reasons.

My Porsche underreports my speed by 3 mph. It's common practice. Does anyone here think Porsche incapable of making that speed more accurate? Of course not. Yet they've designed their cars this way for a reason.

Product design is a long series of trade-offs.

I expect an awful lot from my iPhone Pro. I don't expect a 2-day battery life, though, because that would defy the laws of physics. Or at least require Apple to make the phone twice as thick and heavy to carry. I understand the tradeoff they made to make it more comfortable in my hand, and thus I no longer "expect" the longer battery life.

Expectations need to be couched in both reality and context.

Expect whatever you want. I’m saying the implication that you expect more than the rest of us is elitist.

No, it has nothing to do with you or me. I’m saying it’s irrelevant to the law and *what actually exists across car companies*, which is what I was outlining above.

Moreover, you seem to have either intentionally or unintentionally missed the point; the reason the regulations exist and allow for it is due to the fact that while speedometers are calibrated to be extremely precise, their accuracy may be hindered by tire tread wear, for example, among other factors. As a result, companies protect themselves from liability by reporting a slightly higher speed than measured.

That’s not an opinion, nor is it something you should have any expectation about other than “reality.”

It’s very common. Korean manufacturers seem not to do it, but most other manufacturers underreport by 1-2mph.
You mean overreport?

Sure. I have COVID at the moment, so my brain weighs 1000 lbs. Apologies for any oversight.
Hope you feel better soon! For me, COVID didn't feel as bad as some other viruses, but it's just... "annoying," if that makes sense. It probably doesn't.

It’s very common. Korean manufacturers seem not to do it, but most other manufacturers underreport by 1-2mph.
It is my understanding that in Germany car companies are penalized if their speedometers read slower than they are actually driving. So...required in some locations and a good idea to reduce law suit risks in others.

It is my understanding that in Germany car companies are penalized if their speedometers read slower than they are actually driving. So...required in some locations and a good idea to reduce law suit risks in others.
According to "Regulation No 39 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ ECE)" point 5.3., the speed indicated on the speedometer must be following 0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1V2 + 4 km/h, where V1 is the speed displayed and V2 is the actual speed.

Hence, V1 ≥ V2 must hold and V1 ≤ 1.1V2 + 4 km/h must hold.

These graphs show the resulting area that the indicated speed is allowed to be in, for a given actual speed.

IMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8931.png

So in plain English, the displayed speed can’t exceed the actual speed by more than 10% + 4kph.

Reporting *less* than the actual speed is a big no-no. Reporting more than the actual speed is *well within the spec of the regulations*, although the allowed amount changes based on the jurisdiction. As a result, companies tend to err on only *slightly* reporting higher.

And before anyone cries foul: no, this doesn’t affect the odometer at all, as it counts wheel rotations.

Sorry to hear that, @borski! Hope the symptoms are not too bad. Just when I start to think that beast is finally behind us...
Right? I always used to say "COVID is over" from mid-2023 (I meant on a large scale), but there are still some isolated cases. Apparently there's been an early June spike, so hopefully this passes over.

Off topic, but did COVID make 2020-2022 feel like 1 really long year to you guys? Hope that isnt just me..

Off topic, but did COVID make 2020-2022 feel like 1 really long year to you guys? Hope that isnt just me..
It’s not just you. It was one long shared trauma for most of the world. Screws with your sense of time.

It’s not just you. It was one long shared trauma for most of the world. Screws with your sense of time.
It was horrible for me (and other students), since I had to "miss out" on the elementary-middle school transition. I never really fully recovered from that until mid-2023. On the bright side, another pandemic won't happen until the year 2120 🤣 (for some reason, close to every 100 years something like this happens.. the Spanish flu, COVID, etc)

But back on topic, how do I measure the speedometer/real speed difference? I would think to use Waze, but something tells me it wouldn't be 100 percent accurate.

It was horrible for me (and other students), since I had to "miss out" on the elementary-middle school transition. I never really fully recovered from that until mid-2023. On the bright side, another pandemic won't happen until the year 2120 🤣 (for some reason, close to every 100 years something like this happens.. the Spanish flu, COVID, etc)

But back on topic, how do I measure the speedometer/real speed difference? I would think to use Waze, but something tells me it wouldn't be 100 percent accurate.
You can use Waze. It’s not perfect, but close enough. You can also use any other external GPS. I measured it with my radar detector.

Right? I always used to say "COVID is over" from mid-2023 (I meant on a large scale), but there are still some isolated cases. Apparently there's been an early June spike, so hopefully this passes over.

Definitely not just you. It felt like forever when it was happening. A friend of mine calls those years the black hole.

Ok, so I have to ask... for the EPA ratings when they state 70 MPH for the testing, is it an ACTUAL 70 MPH or a Lucid Speedometer 70 MPH (which would really be 68 MPH)? Are we all reporting our speedometer MPH or actual MPH when we give out our stats for efficiency, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know. 😹

P.S. Borski - I hope you are feeling better soon.

Ok, so I have to ask... for the EPA ratings when they state 70 MPH for the testing, is it an ACTUAL 70 MPH or a Lucid Speedometer 70 MPH (which would really be 68 MPH)? Are we all reporting our speedometer MPH or actual MPH when we give out our stats for efficiency, etc?

Tom Moloughney ran his 70 mph range test with 72 on the speedometer since that gave him 70 mph using the GPS on his phone.

I'm quite certain that the EPA would use actual speeds.

Expect whatever you want. I’m saying the implication that you expect more than the rest of us is elitist.
WHAT so I'm the only person in the world who expect their speedometer to read correctly? Somehow that makes me elitist. Yea right.

Sorry you are of the mindset that not getting what is expected is OK. I for one don't feel like you and if that is elitist in your mind, oh well. Bottom line is the speedometer is wrong.

WHAT so I'm the only person in the world who expect their speedometer to read correctly? Somehow that makes me elitist. Yea right.

Sorry you are of the mindset that not getting what is expected is OK. I for one don't feel like you and if that is elitist in your mind, oh well. Bottom line is the speedometer is wrong.
Okay. The speedometer is “wrong.” Certainly no chance you might be.

Have a nice weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back