OTHER Indicated speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle 113312

Reaction score
I have a Pure AWD with 19" wheels. I have noted that the speed indicated is 2 MPH slower than actual. I've verified this by many roadside speed monitors as well as GPS in a handheld cellphone.

This is a known fact and has been discussed many, many times on this forum. It's intentional on Lucid's part. Search is your friend.

This is a known fact and has been discussed many, many times on this forum. It's intentional on Lucid's part. Search is your friend.
But the norm is for the car to say the speed is around 2 mph FASTER than the actual. The OP is saying SLOWER.

I have a Pure AWD with 19" wheels. I have noted that the speed indicated is 2 MPH slower than actual. I've verified this by many roadside speed monitors as well as GPS in a handheld cellphone.
Without trying to wrap my head around the effect of different wheel sizes... Have you verified that the car's tire settings are correct?

Oooofffff which is it for our Airs? Faster or Slower.... I gotta know before I get on the highway again ;-)
I think almost all car companies set their speedometer to indicate that you are going a little faster than you really are, just to reduce the risk of legal exposure. "I wouldn't have driven my car off the cliff on the 50 MPH curve if I had known that I was going 52!"

The speed indicated should be faster than actual, not slower. So if the speedo says 50, you are actually going 48.

If you’re sure you’re seeing the opposite, I’d have service check it out. Possibly, your car is set to a different tire size.

I think almost all car companies set their speedometer to indicate that you are going a little faster than you really are, just to reduce the risk of legal exposure. "I wouldn't have driven my car off the cliff on the 50 MPH curve if I had known that I was going 52!"
Actually, I misspoke on that to some degree... The dialogue would more likely be... "I could have made that curve if I had known that I was going 142 MPH. I've done it a million times at 140 MPH. It's all Lucid's fault. May I have my $50,000,000 in small bills, please?"

Actually, I misspoke on that to some degree... The dialogue would more likely be... "I could have made that curve if I had known that I was going 142 MPH. I've done it a million times at 140 MPH. It's all Lucid's fault. May I have my $50,000,000 in small bills, please?"
Class action time!

At what speed is it 2mph slow? 10mph, 50mph, 100mph? Usually the differences are a percentage so its hard to know the impact without the speed.

Very interesting in that I notice this today. The idea that Lucid or any car maker not indicating the actual/correct MPH is crazy. We have the ability to put in the current tire size and one would think the speed would be set according to this.

Very interesting in that I notice this today. The idea that Lucid or any car maker not indicating the actual/correct MPH is crazy. We have the ability to put in the current tire size and one would think the speed would be set according to this.
It’s very common. Korean manufacturers seem not to do it, but most other manufacturers underreport by 1-2mph.

Sorry but I don't buy the answer of others do so it is OK. Maybe I just expect more. 🤔
It's more a liability issue. We Americans like to drive fast. The companies are covering their asses by making us think we're driving faster than we actually are. My Audi loaner is off by 1-2 mph too, just like the Air..

One nice side effect of this is you would get more warranty mileage than if it is the other way. Your range estimates will look worse though. (Assuming the odometer is driven by the speedometer.)

This helped me with my speeding ticket. But is annoying

It's more a liability issue. We Americans like to drive fast. The companies are covering their asses by making us think we're driving faster than we actually are. My Audi loaner is off by 1-2 mph too, just like the Air..
Very interesting thought. Somehow I doubt Car companies are somehow covering themselves by giving us an inaccurate speedometer. I guess it must be only certain companies because my BMW, Audi, and Toyota appear to be spot on. I guess i need to do a road test. Have I been driving too fast or too slow for the last 40 years?

Thanks

Sorry but I don't buy the answer of others do so it is OK. Maybe I just expect more. 🤔
I wasn’t excusing it, I was explaining it. You need to stop saying you expect more. It comes off antagonizing and elitist; trust me, I expect a lot. I just also understand reasonable explanations for things.

Very interesting thought. Somehow I doubt Car companies are somehow covering themselves by giving us an inaccurate speedometer. I guess it must be only certain companies because my BMW, Audi, and Toyota appear to be spot on. I guess i need to do a road test. Have I been driving too fast or too slow for the last 40 years?
Speedometers in cars are designed to be as accurate as possible, as they are an important instrument for both the driver's information and compliance with speed limits. In most jurisdictions, there are regulations that require speedometers to not under-report the speed of the vehicle.

However, some manufacturers design their speedometers to slightly over-report the speed by a small amount, typically within a range of around 2-5%, as a safety measure. Various jurisdictions have various limits - in Germany, for example, it’s 5%. This is done to ensure that drivers are less likely to exceed speed limits unknowingly due to variations in tire size, tire wear, and other factors that can affect the accuracy of the speedometer.

In general, speedometers are calibrated to ensure that the speed displayed is not significantly different from the actual speed of the vehicle. It is not common practice for manufacturers to intentionally make speedometers inaccurate to reduce speeding, but a small margin of error may be present for safety and legal compliance reasons.

Whether you “expect more” is entirely irrelevant. You can rest assured that it will never display less than the actual speed, as that would be very very illegal in any jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back