Impressions after my first 1,000 miles

TomMJM36

Cars
2023 Lucid Air Touring
I've had my Touring for about 1 month and have driven it about 1,000 miles. I love the way the car drives - it feels solid, fast, smooth, quiet, very comfortable and luxurious. Now that I've become familiar with the screens layout, I really like how the various functions are laid out. And I have zero complaints about quality, whether paint, fit and finish, etc. The car gets lots of compliments on how striking it is. While overall, it has been nearly trouble free (I haven't called Lucid Service yet), there are a few items I wonder if other owners have experienced:
- Whenever I drive the car in the rain, I get a warning on the screen that the Lidar is not functioning and to check possible blockage.
- I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPhone. We have our profiles set up but even when I get in the driver's seat with my key fob in my pocket, it typically goes to her profile. I think that CarPlay overpowers every other profile setting. I've heard the same from other non-Lucid car owners. Also, I find it odd that I have to set up the garage door opener for each profile.
- The distance at which the key fob unlocks the car varies considerably and there have been a few times where I had to push the key fob button to unlock the car, and once I had to push the button multiple times to unlock the car.
- The number one concern I have with the car is range. This is my first EV and I've read that the range of all EV's is noticeably reduced at higher highway speeds. My Touring seems to do well, close to predicted range, at 65 mph. The range drops of fairly quickly at 75 mph. So on a trip, when we are driving at what the typical speed is on the open highway, i.e. 75 mph+, I expect my range will be quite lower than the 382 it's rated at. Given that the Lucid Air has the lowest drag coefficient, I thought that the range would be less impacted than other EV's but that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't done a long road trip yet, but will be curious about the charging frequency and experience.
Concerns/issues aside, I love the car and have zero regrets, so far!

Glad your enjoying your Lucid. I’ve read the EPA range is based on 70 MPH.

I've had my Touring for about 1 month and have driven it about 1,000 miles. I love the way the car drives - it feels solid, fast, smooth, quiet, very comfortable and luxurious. Now that I've become familiar with the screens layout, I really like how the various functions are laid out. And I have zero complaints about quality, whether paint, fit and finish, etc. The car gets lots of compliments on how striking it is. While overall, it has been nearly trouble free (I haven't called Lucid Service yet), there are a few items I wonder if other owners have experienced:
- Whenever I drive the car in the rain, I get a warning on the screen that the Lidar is not functioning and to check possible blockage.
- I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPhone. We have our profiles set up but even when I get in the driver's seat with my key fob in my pocket, it typically goes to her profile. I think that CarPlay overpowers every other profile setting. I've heard the same from other non-Lucid car owners. Also, I find it odd that I have to set up the garage door opener for each profile.
- The distance at which the key fob unlocks the car varies considerably and there have been a few times where I had to push the key fob button to unlock the car, and once I had to push the button multiple times to unlock the car.
- The number one concern I have with the car is range. This is my first EV and I've read that the range of all EV's is noticeably reduced at higher highway speeds. My Touring seems to do well, close to predicted range, at 65 mph. The range drops of fairly quickly at 75 mph. So on a trip, when we are driving at what the typical speed is on the open highway, i.e. 75 mph+, I expect my range will be quite lower than the 382 it's rated at. Given that the Lucid Air has the lowest drag coefficient, I thought that the range would be less impacted than other EV's but that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't done a long road trip yet, but will be curious about the charging frequency and experience.
Concerns/issues aside, I love the car and have zero regrets, so far!
Awesome! The EPA is done at 55mph I believe

Remember, aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed. So speed itself is a significantly larger factor than drag coefficient.
Nicely said. 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Not so much the rain but the cold. As temperatures drop significantly range decreases.
Cold affects the battery even if I don't use the heater right ? I forgot about that. I also was wondering if the rain would affect drag co ef as well . I got about 3kwh

Anywhere to verify this info? I thought it was 60
Average speed for the city portion of the 5-cycle test is 21.2 mph. Average speed for the highway portion is 48.3 mph.

Range decreases by about the square of speed, at least for the portion attributable to air drag. Power required to travel at a given speed varies with the cube of the speed at higher speeds.

Anywhere to verify this info? I thought it was 60
It varies.

Cold affects the battery even if I don't use the heater right ? I forgot about that. I also was wondering if the rain would affect drag co ef as well . I got about 3kwh
Weather had warmed up and I was getting close to 4.0, then it dropped into the 40s again with rain the past few days, and I was down to 2.5 for today.

- The number one concern I have with the car is range. This is my first EV and I've read that the range of all EV's is noticeably reduced at higher highway speeds.

I'm getting about 60% of predicted range in all conditions. A bit less in the rain.

I drive between 65-70 MPH and I’m averaging 3.7-4.1.

I drive between 65-70 MPH and I’m averaging 3.7-4.1.
So far on this trip from Cupertino to San Diego our efficiency has been 3.7 mi/kWh over 371 miles and we have been driving in Swift and, well, briskly.

If I were in Smooth and paying attention, I’d easily get 4-4.5 (and have before), but driving like that is boring. :p

So far on this trip from Cupertino to San Diego our efficiency has been 3.7 mi/kWh over 371 miles and we have been driving in Swift and, well, briskly.

If I were in Smooth and paying attention, I’d easily get 4-4.5 (and have before), but driving like that is boring. :p
Lol true. If I could get 4.5 with my DE P, that would be super.

Lol true. If I could get 4.5 with my DE P, that would be super.
Yeah this is a DE-R loaner, on 19s. My DE-P I normally get 3.2-3.5 on 21s, and 3.5-4.0 on 19s.

But I drive that thing like I stole it, so there’s that.

Is the range lesser when it rains ? Like way lower.
I had very poor range today, it also rained all day. I attributed it to the abs working round the clock but it also dropped to 53° so maybe that too.

Back