Important (and in retrospect, obvious) learning regarding Highway Assist

wcpopi

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
I want to report a recent event using HA, in hopes that others will learn from my lack of forethought (ie stupidity). I was using HA on the freeway, set to 70. The car in front of me began to slow down so they could use the next exit. I was also going to use that exit, so I continued to allow the HA to track the car in front, which was now going about 30 as he and I began to exit on the cloverleaf. As my car was beginning to make its turn, it moved out of the radar “shadow” of the car in front, and immediately began to try to resume the 70 mph speed previously set. All this in the turn of the cloverleaf. I quickly realized what was happening, cancelled HA with the brake, and felt fortunate for dodging a bullet and stupid for allowing myself to be in that position. Word to the wise: cancel HA before leaving the freeway.

I want to report a recent event using HA, in hopes that others will learn from my lack of forethought (ie stupidity). I was using HA on the freeway, set to 70. The car in front of me began to slow down so they could use the next exit. I was also going to use that exit, so I continued to allow the HA to track the car in front, which was now going about 30 as he and I began to exit on the cloverleaf. As my car was beginning to make its turn, it moved out of the radar “shadow” of the car in front, and immediately began to try to resume the 70 mph speed previously set. All this in the turn of the cloverleaf. I quickly realized what was happening, cancelled HA with the brake, and felt fortunate for dodging a bullet and stupid for allowing myself to be in that position. Word to the wise: cancel HA before leaving the freeway.
Good advice. Exits are very dangerous spots for any autonomous system. And HA is definitely not programmed to handle that situation.

I wondered how it would handle exactly this, and found the same. I just turn it off before a ramp because they’re hard to negotiate for *humans*, much less an autonomous system.

It’s happened to me as well.

Back