I'm scheduled to close on new Touring. but I'm worried

audiojerry

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I normally could never have entertained the idea of affording a Lucid, but Lucid's latest lease offer enables me to get a Touring with 25k down, 15k miles/yr at $230/mo!
That's incredible, but after seeing a critical review from Edmunds on youtube, and reading several complaints on this forum, I'm seriously considering backing away.
After 3 years I would be parting with over $40k and no car.

The nearest service office is 100 miles away, so getting an issue taken care of would be inconvenient. OTA updates seem to be a big issue with owners on this forum. I just read that getting an alignment is not easy so I called my local firestone dealer where I usually get service and they have no specs in their system for performing an alignment on a Lucid. I'm concerned about Lucid's customer service and I've viewed other youtube videos showing build quality issues like loose interior panels, door unlocking and closing issues.

The test drive, luxury, and performance really turned me on, but I'm very troubled by so much negativity.

Touring with 25k down, 15k miles/yr at $230/mo
That is quite good, though a hefty down payment for a lease. I would adjust to a lower down payment personally if possible. I'd rather keep that money invested and pay more over time.

The nearest service office is 100 miles away, so getting an issue taken care of would be inconvenient.
People seem to have great things to say about mobile service. They'll come to you for most things, and they'll deliver the car to a service center and bring you a loaner when necessary. That doesn't sound so rough to me.

OTA updates seem to be a big issue with owners on this forum.
How so?

I just read that getting an alignment is not easy so I called my local firestone dealer where I usually get service and they have no specs in their system for performing an alignment on a Lucid.
I believe Lucid will do realignments for you if necessary? I don't think it's likely to even be necessary in 3 years though (outside of replacing tires, maybe). Your yearly service should keep you in shape.

I'm concerned about Lucid's customer service and I've viewed other youtube videos showing build quality issues like loose interior panels, door unlocking and closing issues.
The customer service is unbeatable in my opinion. Sometimes a little disorganized as they're still ironing out processes, but always ready and able to help. My car was built in December 2022 and I have had a couple minor fit&finish issues that were fixed under warranty. No big deal. Dec 2022 was a while ago, and I think the build quality has only been improving. Door locking/unlocking issues are frustrating and it seems like almost everybody has them, but most of us I think have found what works 99% of the time and don't find that other 1% significant enough to ruin the experience as a whole. It's not perfect, I wish it were better, but I love it anyway.

Don't forget that places like this forum, Reddit, and Youtube are not representative of general opinions. People seek out those places to complain. Edmunds has also been a particular nuisance because they got an early build car, never tried to get anything fixed, and still complain about it to this day as though it's representative of Lucid now.

Another possibility …..
Just go find/buy a used low mile GT. You can pick up one for 69-74K car was 140+ new. Huge depreciation is already factored in that way and you’ll still have a car with warranty for a couple more years. GT is the sweet spot in the Air lineup.
Good luck

Edmunds is biased. Search the forum for how they intentionally use old information instead of current. They also raced a GT on 19's without launch mode and said the car wasn't as fast as they expected 🙄

I used to value Edmunds reviews. Now, not so much. At the very least, you have to take anything they say about any vehicle with a grain of salt. Or, in the case of their opinions on Lucids, a rather large dump truck full of salt.

I normally could never have entertained the idea of affording a Lucid, but Lucid's latest lease offer enables me to get a Touring with 25k down, 15k miles/yr at $230/mo!
That's incredible, but after seeing a critical review from Edmunds on youtube, and reading several complaints on this forum, I'm seriously considering backing away.

The nearest service office is 100 miles away, so getting an issue taken care of would be inconvenient. OTA updates seem to be a big issue with owners on this forum. I just read that getting an alignment is not easy so I called my local firestone dealer where I usually get service and they have no specs in their system for performing an alignment on a Lucid. I'm concerned about Lucid's customer service and I've viewed other youtube videos showing build quality issues like loose interior panels, door unlocking and closing issues.

The test drive, luxury, and performance really turned me on, but I'm very troubled by so much negativity.
to poke at the 25K down? are you sure you really want to do that? whats the MF? you maybe better off parking that in a high yield savings account and pulling from that to augment your payment.

to poke at the 25K down? are you sure you really want to do that? whats the MF? you maybe better off parking that in a high yield savings account and pulling from that to augment your payment.

Everyone's financial situations is different, but a huge down payment on a lease carries risks lots of content on the internet, but check out #8 here https://leasehackr.com/blog/2015/9/19/8-things-you-should-know-before-leasing-a-new-car

when i leased, i always computed my TCO before i commit to a lease. not sure of BofA requires GAP insurance. take this under consideration!

If you're looking for perfection in the software and logistics, I would be concerned, too. Enough ppl have reported fob issues that my expectations are low. If your focus is on the comfort, performance and handling, though you'll likely be very happy.

Build quality issues have improved, and any outstanding issues will be addressed on your specific vehicle. Edmunds love to show the loose trim, but is noticeably quiet on their attempts to call service and resolve, which implies they didn't.

I wouldn't pick up a new GT, the depreciation curve is savage. You can pick up 2500 mile models for mid 70s, as compared to modern day 130k msrps.

If you're OK with the value hit, go for it. Otherwise, look at very lightly used models coming off lease that still have years of warranty left.

Personally I would not hesitate to lease an Air. There will be quirks, but I think you'll enjoy the overall experience very much.
FWIW I use the fob, not the mobile phone key, and it's been reliable. I've only had my car in for service once, at the 12-month mark.

I have a touring and love it. No issues with it except for a couple bad tires at delivery. So my suggestions:

Check your vehicle thoroughly when you get delivery. Make a list of items and have them fixed once.

Do NOT put down $25k on a lease. I have learned a long time ago that you lease with the least amount down. The reason is simple, if your car is totaled you lose all up front amounts paid on a lease. On a leased car if you crash it and it is totaled you just walk away and buy a new car, minus the deductible.

Invest the remaining amount in a money market at 5%

Good luck. You will love the car!

Agreed with the comments above: Do not put so much down upfront on a lease!

Anyway, I have the Touring as well and have loved it. Despite the little quirks here and there, it's an amazing machine.

I keep reading new posts of non-owners worried about software. Bullshit.

I'm a few months from two years in ~ 16k miles and by far this is the best car I've ever owned (72 driving since I was 14).
by far
BY FAR (sold two Mercedes(SL600 and E63s) and bespoke modded Volvo (V70R Sonic Blue / Atacama) to make room for this)

Had an issue with bad control modules first week (likely it was covid supply-chain collapse that required alternate supplier).

Lucid contacted ME,

as I was happy to do resets which fixed the problem temporarily. Lucid watches this site and must have seen my early posts. Mobile service came and diagnosed the problem, replaced the module and it has been flawless since.
FLAWLESS SOFTWARE. Not a single issue with the car since. Nada.

Mobile service is fantastic.

I have this to say about people who read this forum when considering a Lucid:

IGNORE EVERY POST ABOUT SOFTWARE THAT PRECEDES THIS YEAR. THE SOFTWARE IS ROBUST!

RE: Used Lucids. I was on the list for a Dream Edition but not early enough to snag one. Now I see Dream Edition Performance models with under 6k miles for 96k $. I have to guess owners got frustrated with early software bugs and dumped them, not realizing they just needed to keep installing updates. I almost bought one...but the wife is not ready for another EV. Used Lucids are a steal. Consider it's a million dollar car.
And it's a fantastic ride. Fantastic. If you haven't kept up with the software updates shame on you.

Also; I asked my financial advisor about how to get it, and he asked "how long do you keep your cars?" "about 10 years" "then buy it".
I paid full list price for my GT and now they (pre-owned) are selling for half that. No worries. I love this car. It may be the last car I buy (unless I snag a Dream Edition ... or maybe a Sapphire when they drop below $100k ... although I don't know why as I have never been in Sprint mode or launched the car, and probably only 10 minutes total in Swift mode just to check the handling difference). The personality differences in this car among the different modes is astonishing. It rides like a luxury GT normally, and turns into a thrilling sport car when pushed ( on the 21s).

Even in Smooth mode it is wicked quick = enough to scare the piss out of me. This is especially true for passing: never had a car that snaps ahead so quickly when you really want it. I ordered it with 19s for range and snow... they are perfectly fine for normal driving in all seasons. Not so much if you get on it. It's pretty easy to break the 19s loose.

The Lucid is a fantastic car.

This can not be understated.

I have owned my car for almost 2 years and I have not had any major problems that caused any significant disruption. When production first started, the software was pretty inadequate, but most of the major problems have been fixed, and in my opinion, any remaining glitches do not interfere with the enjoyment of the car. That’s not to say the software cannot be improved, It’s just not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I live approximately 900 miles from the closest service station, which is not ideal. That being said , mobile service has been fantastic and has taken care of any needs that have arisen.

As far as leasing versus buying, that is a personal decision, but I think either way you’ll be happy with the car.

One strong suggestion, if you do end up getting the car, please get the surreal sound upgraded audio; it’s 100% worth it.

That's a great bargain. Congratulations!
There's no perfect car. My concern is whether the car would get me stranded or not. I've been driving mine for about 1.5 years and it's been fine. I even did a round trip from California to the East Coast and back with no problem. I loved manually steering on the winding roads over the Appalachian mountains because the car was too smooth and it handled the curves so well!
That's the nature of consumable product. It starts to depreciate as soon as you sign for the car. Even if you own it, you can sell at a tiny fraction after a few years. It's not unique to Lucid.

The nearest service office is 100 miles away, so getting an issue taken care of would be inconvenient.
True. I am 200 miles away from a Service Center but I've been doing fine. Not missing it at all. I did took a tour to the Little Saigon and dropped the car off at Costa Mesa, CA for the loose rubber trim inside the wheel well. The double sided tape fixed it. If my car is dead, the warranty would cover the tow. Fixing the car after the warranty will be expensive especially for towing 200 miles. In that case, just pay a membership for 200 mile towing like AAA.

OTA updates seem to be a big issue with owners on this forum.
It may not be advanced like missing a brower, can't play Steam video but Lucid software is consumer quality so wouldn't say it's an issue.
I just read that getting an alignment is not easy so I called my local firestone dealer where I usually get service and they have no specs in their system for performing an alignment on a Lucid.
Nowadays, mechanics don't manually do it but rely on software. If their boss didn't buy an alignment software for Lucid, then of course they would not do one.

I think what more important is tire rotation. I rotate my tires faithfully every 6,250 miles and inspect for uneven wear. Only when I see there's an uneven wear then I would say an alignment is needed. That means to plan another trip 200 miles to visit Little Saigon again and drop the car off for service.

I'm concerned about Lucid's customer service and I've viewed other youtube videos showing build quality issues like loose interior panels, door unlocking and closing issues.
Sure. As long as my car is not broken down in the middle of no where, I am happy. If there's problems like loosen trims, I could plan my schedule to play and drop the car 200 miles as needed.
There are always pros and cons. I used to own 2012 Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X but those are not as comfortable and luxurious as what I have now with Lucid. It's your money. Use it to enhance your happiness.

Edmunds did give us an excellent review on a couple of interior trim pieces. I have had zero issues with interior components. Vehicle reviewers should really reject that sort of information, as it is statistically invalid. Consumer Reports is probably the only outfit with a sample size near useful for quality comparisons.

OTA update issues? Nothing comes to mind.

My nearest service center is 120 miles from my location. I to was a bit concerned, but I've made only one visit and they swapped my car out with the loaner at my work location. And, they are excellent!

25K down is huge. My opinion is to always minimize down payment, and pay over time. Buy it, and enjoy!

My personal thoughts and opinions...
For context, I'm single, working long hours remotely. IT/SW industry. Software solution engineer; spends lots of time tweaking and testing with applications. First-time EV owner (Lucid Air)
Previous vehicle: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback fully loaded options.

This might not be the right vehicle if you...
  • limited access to EV chargers/stations
    • long lines / broken chargers
    • slow charging at home
  • hate (almost) touch-screen-based operations
  • prefer conventional day-to-day hassle-free working dynamics
    • 10 min gas fill-up with easy access to locations whenever, wherever
    • analog dial/buttons exist and are available where they usually should be (this car does not... lol)
  • have no time to deal with minor minutia things
  • don't like to wait things to get enabled or improved (relying many things on over-the-air updates)
For me, I test-drove the vehicle (Grand Touring) 3 times before I made up my mind on Lucid
- I was mainly sold on driving dynamic and steering
- I wanted the EV with the best range (range anxiety is real....)
- I knew the trade-off would be the limited app(s) and (some quirky) functions/capabilities compared to long-established brands' know-how and (established) quality

I wouldn't rely completely on forum's every complaints and issues.
Try to test drive the vehicle and play around with the interior features to see if it meets your expectations.
If it doesn't, there are many conventional, well-established brands of EVs out there... EV6,9, ioniq 5,6, ZDX, Prologue, Blazer EV, Macan, E-tron Q8, etc.

PS. I thought I was going to wait until Audi E-Tron A6... but I fell in love with Lucid Air.

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm feeling better about moving forward, but your continued thoughts will be appreciated.
Hey Jerry, I very much doubt you will regret getting the car. Mine is a 2022 March build Grand Touring, and has had some issues due mostly to being such an early build car, but I’ve barely noticed as Lucid service has so outstanding, bringing me loaners, etc. I’ve got 30k miles on mine, and I can assure you the Edmunds reviews are nitpicking and very unfair. It’s the most comfortable smoothest most spacious useful serene and fastest car I’ve ever had and smile every time I get in. Also the 360 cameras, massaging seats and surreal sound pro system (you do need the Tidal subscription to get the most out of it) are things I didn’t know I needed but now cannot live without. Oh yeah and the range! Yes you’re not going to get EPA unless you drive like EPA, but you’re still going to get better range than any other EV on the road. This is a special vehicle that in my opinion is a have your cake and eat it too car.

Also ignore the whining about OTAs. Lucid is the only company I know of who very intently listens to its owners, and when possible incorporate requests into software updates and there’s more to come. That may not happen rapidly, software is not easy especially if there are some pre-existing limitations that may not allow a request to be implemented (I’d be surprised if the Air ever got the equivalent of Tesla sentry mode, so just get a dash cam if you’re really worried about that), but for me with the exception of a couple things I wish the car could change with the software, I’m very happy with it and think the user interface in which you’re interacting with the software is more elegant, thoughtful and uncluttered than any other car.

Last edited:
Back