Hypermiling

DaveyBoyGT

Cars
lucid Air GT
Has anyone attempted or experienced Hypermiling strategies with the Lucid Air? I have read numerous articles on hypermiling EVs with several good techniques. The attached article was the most impressive, where a guy drove a Porsche Taycan coast to coast in the US. and only spent 2.5 hours charging the car on $76 worth of electricity.

Let's hear from some current owners on their experience!

The one thing the article did not mention is what speeds this fellow drove. Saving energy is one thing but losing 2-3 extra days driving across the U.S. is another. Did he ever drive over 35 mph?

The one thing the article did not mention is what speeds this fellow drove. Saving energy is one thing but losing 2-3 extra days driving across the U.S. is another. Did he ever drive over 35 mph?
That's true. We also don't know his Mi/KWH either. I doubt that he drove at severely reduced speed below the speed limit because that gets into the safety issues with driving way below the speed limit. He probably drove at or 5 to 10 MPH below the speed limit. What I found interesting was his strategy of discharging the battery below 5% and then charging to no higher than 50%. He only charged the car 18 times, so that averages out to 2834/18 = 157.4 miles per charge. It also averages only $4.22 per charge.

I like that my DE is "stupid fast", up to all posted speed limits, of course! 😇

I have found that getting close behind a semi doing 75 increases your range dramatically. Just make sure he has full mud flaps.

I have found that getting close behind a semi doing 75 increases your range dramatically. Just make sure he has full mud flaps.
My son does that with his Tesla Model 3. Works great.

Now there's a good reason for that $6000 PPF job - so that you can hypermile and save $12.

I think Lucid should add an eco-driving mode. This mode could disengage the rear drive motor and have the vehicle operate in front wheel drive only. I realize that this will reduce acceleration and performance, but if in the current situation like taking a long road trip this could help improve economy.

This sounds like a great way to end up having to replace your windshield when a rock hits it. Mud flaps or no.

This sounds like a great way to end up having to replace your windshield when a rock hits it. Mud flaps or no.
Only did it a few times. Had to coming back from Montreal one time when superchargers were few and far between. It was either drive 50 mph or slower and hope to make the supercharger or draft at 70 behind a semi. I would up with milage to spare

I’m curious: What’s the best range you can get, when you try really hard? Not best mileage, but actual distance driven. I once tried my trusty old Model S 85 (2013) and in almost perfect conditions I got 466 km (290 mi) out of it. Took me 5:15 h non-stop at an average speed of 89 km/h (55 mph).

Last edited:
Yeah and the comments I get on the car after saying they love the glass roof is, "I'd hate to see the cost when you get a rock chip" 😂

When I had a hybrid I would hypermile that all the time and was easily able to exceed EPA. For the most part it consisted of rolling a lot when approaching lights, stop signs, no other traffic etc. to let that small battery recharge. When accelerating in the city or less traveled roads I would run that battery down from full to when the engine kicked in...a whole 2 miles! My wife notices when I exceed the speed limit, so my normal practice is 2 MPH under the limit. Combine that with a lot of rolling/regen and I expect to get a mi/kWh that would result in a 500+ mile range. Of course, that won't happen when the wife isn't in the car....got to have that fun factor the GT brings!

Back