How often rotate tires ?

Tire rotation is a gimmick to charge for a service not needed, particularly on all wheel drive cars. If say rear tires wear out slightly faster than the fronts then just replace them. But most all wheel drive cars have about equal tire wear.

... most all wheel drive cars have about equal tire wear.
I expected so too, but the rear tires on my Model 3 AWD wore considerably faster than the fronts. The commonly expressed explanation was that only the rear motor was used for regenerative braking. I just rotated tires when the front vs rear tread depths differed by 1mm.

Yes but that is due to an engineering flaw or cost saving issue in the Tesla 3. In normal AWD cars what I say is true.

Yes but that is due to an engineering flaw or cost saving issue in the Tesla 3. In normal AWD cars what I say is true.
I don't know what other EVs do for front/rear torque splitting in normal driving, or front/rear regenerative braking split. It's entirely up to the car's engineers, not limited by the 50/50 center differential of a gas car.

In general I rotate tires to try to replace all four at once, so I can choose whatever tire model seems best at the time. If you only replace two tires, it's best to keep the same tire model.

Lucid service says rotate during annual service. My question is for those who went and got certificates for Discount Tire, how often do we need to rotate to be under their warranty? When I purchased certificates for all 4 tires the service guy there told me 5-6k for rotations is what he recommends. Will they honor my certificates if I do rotations at Lucids annual intervals?
Of course they will. Rotation makes no difference to DT because the replacement certificate is only for highway damage, not thread wear or uneven wear. Rotation has no impact on failure, unless you wear them down to the cords. Note the certificate expires most likely at 2/32s.

tire manufacturers used to have a rotation requirement for their thread wear warranty.

FYI, the replacement certificate is not a warranty.

21” here, only rotated them left to right at 11k.

I wonder what is usual mileage life for these 21” before changing new.
I am pretty you should never ever rotate radials from side to side. Continental prohibited it decades ago. When you switch a tire to the other side of the car, you change the direction of rotation, which leads to ply separation. Virtually every high speed performance tire is constructed for and stamped with a certain rotation direction. Based on how the plies are laid down. Which means no rotation on our 21" staggered wheels.

Even my slick road bike tires have a direction of rotation.

One year between rotations is reasonable if you drive like 10K miles per year. If you drive 2K per year, no.
I just rotate mine when the difference between front and rear average tread depths is 1mm.
Many tire manufacturers reccomend rotation every 6000 miles (10000 km).
15K miles on 19" Pirellis after 1 year. 6/32 in front, 7-8/32 in rear. Outside tread 1/32 lower than inner treads, front and rear. Wipers smearing and no annual check yet. Contacted service center.

So what was the verdict here we don’t have to rotate cause the wheels just wear even ??

I wanted to provide an update here my 20 inch after market Michelin pilot all season 4s are wearing so nice. Think got 10K miles on them
My rears are at 7 and and fronts at 6. I think perfect is 11 so seeing somewhere between 40-50% degradation. I decided to get my tires rotated and balance since the fronts are wearing a little more than backs. But this is far better than my Tesla vehicle model S which ate tires like in 8k miles I was bald. I am impressed!!

IMG_6046.jpeg

I wanted to provide an update here my 20 inch after market Michelin pilot all season 4s are wearing so nice. Think got 10K miles on them
My rears are at 7 and and fronts at 6. I think perfect is 11 so seeing somewhere between 40-50% degradation. I decided to get my tires rotated and balance since the fronts are wearing a little more than backs. But this is far better than my Tesla vehicle model S which ate tires like in 8k miles I was bald. I am impressed!!

View attachment 20360
Interesting.. perhaps it is because the Plaids trimotor setup puts more stress on the tires?

So what was the verdict here we don’t have to rotate cause the wheels just wear even ??
Only rotate front->back and back->front with a square set-up (where front & back tire/wheel assemblies are the same) and never rotate with a staggered set up. I believe this aligns with the owners manual as well. Even tire wear is not guaranteed even on AWD cars since the alignment specs are different between the front and the back of the car.

Back