How many Will Not Use All the Accessories?

MPawelek

Cars
None
My Sl550 has all the bells and whistles promised in the Air. I use the seat, mirror steering wheel memory option, automatic distance in cruise control, massage seats etc. but have no use for lane centering, voice commands for telephone and trip planning etc. In actuality I use very few of the options that came with the car.

For me it is all about the drive. I am after great acceleration , long mileage and a smooth quiet ride. I believe this is a age/generational thing. Am I alone in not really being interested in most of the newer tech?

You are not alone. I am also interested in "great acceleration, long mileage and a smooth, quiet ride". My tech wants are limited to ACC and a good stereo that is easy to use and will allow me to listen to what I want. I like to "drive" my car and don't need it to do that job for me.

Agreed. But I do want to have the option to use highway assist when I want to and also want a sentry mode.

I pretty much agree. I don't really need the "self driving" features, although on a very long drive if I'm tired it might be nice to have as a safety backup. I still marvel at the video a few years ago of the guy in the Tesla who fell asleep and the car drove itself for something like 30 miles on the freeway before the police finally woke him up. My preference as I've stated many times on this forum would be for Lucid to concentrate on getting us Apple CarPlay so I can stream my Dolby Atmos Apple Music Recordings!!

My Sl550 has all the bells and whistles promised in the Air. I use the seat, mirror steering wheel memory option, automatic distance in cruise control, massage seats etc. but have no use for lane centering, voice commands for telephone and trip planning etc. In actuality I use very few of the options that came with the car.

For me it is all about the drive. I am after great acceleration , long mileage and a smooth quiet ride. I believe this is a age/generational thing. Am I alone in not really being interested in most of the newer tech?
I am with you, just want the car to drive well and work. Don't need all the nonsense.

I think the tech needs to make the car more efficient/work better, but not be intrusive. For example, I really don't think any car's nav system will beat the Google Maps app on your smartphone which updates all the time, so I honestly don't know why everyone is worked up about that etc... All my ICE cars had some sort of nav system (usually on a DVD) but I never used them. Even if the Lucid system worked, what is the chance it would be BETTER than Google maps, and update aYou can already look them up and find them yourself.

In a similar fashion I have always either had keys, or key FOB. Why the obsession with the phone being your new key is beyond me. Phones crash, have battery issues, get viruses. Why have that for your car key? Disclaimer, I also avoid Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and all the other digital wallets. Credit cards still are my preferred funding.

Reactions: Bel

Totally agree. I only use temperature, fan speed, radio, and set up the seat once and use mirrors for backing up and i know how to park myself. And will do so on my gta. For finding where to go, i just have maps open on my cell and read it as id do on a paper map. All of this for max efficiency. Always works and is very simple. Although i design and program complex electrical systems for work i cant stand that you have to spend "hours" going through sometimes non-intuative menues to find simple things. Its still stone age. When the car can read my mind, i may use bells and whistles.

In a similar fashion I have always either had keys, or key FOB. Why the obsession with the phone being your new key is beyond me. Phones crash, have battery issues, get viruses. Why have that for your car key? Disclaimer, I also avoid Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and all the other digital wallets. Credit cards still are my preferred funding.
totally agree -- make life much simpler

I am the total opposite :)

I am 100% a sucker for the new tech and the toys in the car. I am anxiously awaiting Highway Assist.

If I'm driving within a 200 mile radius of home I love driving. If I'm doing a 500 mile trip I do semi regularly from Massachusetts to Western Pennsylvania I'd love to set it and forget it for the long highway portions and relax and enjoy the trip. Any time I need to get off the highway for something I'm thrilled to take over.

I also wouldn't mind a summon car function when I'm leaving someplace and it's started down pouring.

Basically situational use of new technology would be awesome.

We use our Tesla and Volvo's "lane centering" all the time on long trips. For us it really reduces driver fatigue.
Our Volvo uses AAOS as does Lucid, but the Volvo also has native Google Maps, which is great. Google Maps on AAOS has very accurate navigation, range and SOC prediction on long trips. I can't imagine what Lucid was thinking when they went with a second-tier navigation supplier instead.

Last edited:
It’s amazing how millions of folks a day make it to their destination without a navigation screen and don’t get lost! 😊

FNG-NEWBIE Question. Does the onboard navigation plot out charging stops in the same manner that the Tesla does?

For that matter, does the Lucid onboard navigation work as well as Tesla’s onboard navigation? Granted it took Tesla several years and multiple updates to get their onboard navigation up to par with any map app you can name. For example, on the Tesla navigation system you can now put in way points. We couldn’t do that when we first got our Teslas in 2017 and 2018.

I’m asking about the Lucid navigation system now because I didn’t get to test it out during my 30 minute test drive.

FNG-NEWBIE Question. Does the onboard navigation plot out charging stops in the same manner that the Tesla does?

For that matter, does the Lucid onboard navigation work as well as Tesla’s onboard navigation? Granted it took Tesla several years and multiple updates to get their onboard navigation up to par with any map app you can name. For example, on the Tesla navigation system you can now put in way points. We couldn’t do that when we first got our Teslas in 2017 and 2018.

I’m asking about the Lucid navigation system now because I didn’t get to test it out during my 30 minute test drive.
Yes it does, and it skews towards EA but I would say that it's very ambitious in terms of you making it, so adjust accordingly.

You can also add way points in the nav, from what I remember

My brother loves to show off his summon feature to his model 3 to me. It’s cool, but car moved extremely slow during summon. By the time summon gets over to the Tesla phone app. I could already walk 20 steps to open that door to get in the car. Fancy, not practical, unless you in a shaded area, outside is raining and you don’t have umbrella to walk across parking lot. 99.5% of time, it’s just not going to be used.

My brother loves to show off his summon feature to his model 3 to me. It’s cool, but car moved extremely slow during summon. By the time summon gets over to the Tesla phone app. I could already walk 20 steps to open that door to get in the car. Fancy, not practical, unless you in a shaded area, outside is raining and you don’t have umbrella to walk across parking lot. 99.5% of time, it’s just not going to be used.
I agree. I personally am luke warm to currently available summoning technologies. If there are significant improvements, though, I could see it being attractive.

Exactly. It’s a party trick that actually isn’t very useful in real life. Not only that, it’s nervewracking to use in anything but a COMPLETELY empty car park.

I’m with you, although I am interested in semi-autonomous driving for long trips. The one thing I really “need” is Sirius radio and I still can’t understand how this was missed.

I differ in my opinion. I straddle the Boomer and GenX generational divide and by now, most technology has left me totally indifferent or left me behind.

However I have found “autosteer” indispensable. Autosteer, in its current guise in Teslas, is not very useful on streets, but it is very useful on freeways.

Autosteer combined with Adaptive Cruise Control have become indispensable on my weekly 280 mile, roundtrip commute from San Diego to LAX. When I “allow the car to drive me”, I find that I’m able to relax and expand my attention to a wider field of view. It’s counter-intuitive, but it’s what happens. Where I particularly appreciate Tesla’s soi-disant “autopilot” is Southern California’s vexatious stop-n-go freeway traffic, where Tesla AP particularly shines. Consequently I arrive at my destination far less fatigued, far less stressed and with far lower blood pressure readings.

I shall miss the autosteer function on my Teslas, if I take delivery of a Lucid, and it’s still not available.

It’s amazing how millions of folks a day make it to their destination without a navigation screen and don’t get lost! 😊
I used to rely on maps from AAA and map out my route in the old days! 😀

Back