Houston SC Gravity Photos June 2024

More importantly..the marketing person there confirmed that the software from the Gravity will trickle down to the air as well..sometime next year is what he said...this may or may not mean much but sharing here fwiw

More importantly..the marketing person there confirmed that the software from the Gravity will trickle down to the air as well..sometime next year is what he said...this may or may not mean much but sharing here fwiw
Why sad @xponents ? Was it supposed to come to Airs this year? Any announcements?

Ok Lucid...
I'm over Gravity.... Now give me Lucid "Motion".
  • 2-row seating SUV
  • (Preferred) Design: Range Rover Velar meets Jeep Wagoneer S with sharper/angled Lucid headlight + taillight
  • (Preferred) ~ 450 miles EPA range
  • HUD!!!!
takemymoney.gif

I tried to make it out but couldn’t. For the private showing, did they give lucid owners anything cool for coming?
I also didn't make it on time but asked the same question...we didn't get anything but they had removed barriers and were allowed to interact with the car and view software a bit more closely. The marketing guy there was nice and offered me the same access if I scheduled it with him at a later date...

I got a "special invitation" to attend the private Gravity showing in West Palm Beach. Since we were driving across the state for this event, I called ahead just to be certain the vehicle had made it there. The lady I talked to was somewhat confused. She knew nothing about a private showing and said the car had been on the showroom floor since the day before with anyone able to look it over.

We drove over, anyway, and found the car roped off. We weren't allowed to touch it, much less to sit in it. The most they allowed was for one of us to go inside the rope to stand next to the car so I could gauge its height. In order to do so, I asked the salesman if he could close the rear hatch. He said he first had to check with the marketing person who was there for the event. He disappeared and a few minutes later came back to close the hatch. If the marketing person ever came out onto the floor, I never knew it.

At the time the "private showing" was supposed to start, an employee put out a few plates of pastries, cheese, and cold cuts. That, I suppose, was the special event.

When the demo moved from West Palm Beach to Miami, we drove over once again to see it there, hoping this time we would be able to sit in it to gauge the seating positions. Again, it was roped off with no entry allowed to anyone.

I suspect software development for the Gravity will go right down to the wire. (In the Air it was almost a year after first deliveries before what should have been the initial software was rolled out, i.e., UX 2.0.) Since very few Gravity's (Gravitys? Gravities?) will likely be delivered in 2024 -- and those probably very close to year end -- I'd be surprised to see any Gravity software rolled out to Airs before next year.

I suspect software development for the Gravity will go right down to the wire. (In the Air it was almost a year after first deliveries before what should have been the initial software was rolled out, i.e., UX 2.0.) Since very few Gravity's (Gravitys? Gravities?) will likely be delivered in 2024 -- and those probably very close to year end -- I'd be surprised to see any Gravity software rolled out to Airs before next year.
Interesting. The one at Houston had pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, banana pudding, lots of pastries, drinks such as sodas and sparkling water and Evian. I noticed all this and felt that this was all inline with a luxury car maker...we walked away impressed by the whole show that was put on.

Interesting. The one at Houston had pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, banana pudding, lots of pastries, drinks such as sodas and sparkling water and Evian. I noticed all this and felt that this was all inline with a luxury car maker...we walked away impressed by the whole show that was put on.
I got a "special invitation" to attend the private Gravity showing in West Palm Beach. Since we were driving across the state for this event, I called ahead just to be certain the vehicle had made it there. The lady I talked to was somewhat confused. She knew nothing about a private showing and said the car had been on the showroom floor since the day before with anyone able to look it over.

We drove over, anyway, and found the car roped off. We weren't allowed to touch it, much less to sit in it. The most they allowed was for one of us to go inside the rope to stand next to the car so I could gauge its height. In order to do so, I asked the salesman if he could close the rear hatch. He said he first had to check with the marketing person who was there for the event. He disappeared and a few minutes later came back to close the hatch. If the marketing person ever came out onto the floor, I never knew it.

At the time the "private showing" was supposed to start, an employee put out a few plates of pastries, cheese, and cold cuts. That, I suppose, was the special event.

When the demo moved from West Palm Beach to Miami, we drove over once again to see it there, hoping this time we would be able to sit in it to gauge the seating positions. Again, it was roped off with no entry allowed to anyone.

Why do you think they don't let anyone sit in the car?

Why sad @xponents ? Was it supposed to come to Airs this year? Any announcements?
It wasn’t SUPPOSED to, but I admit I was holding out hope for the software to come to the Air with the Gravity! It does make sense though, since as @hmp10 said, Lucid pushes their software development to the limit. Therefore, they may have all hands on the Gravity and plan to adapt it after its release, leading to the 2025 you mentioned.

Ok Lucid...
I'm over Gravity.... Now give me Lucid "Motion".
  • 2-row seating SUV
  • (Preferred) Design: Range Rover Velar meets Jeep Wagoneer S with sharper/angled Lucid headlight + taillight
  • (Preferred) ~ 450 miles EPA range
  • HUD!!!!
View attachment 21448

I think the R2 will take a big chunk of the buyers looking for an SUV like that. Lucid probably will as well, and Tesla would probably lose sales.

Why do you think they don't let anyone sit in the car?

According to @lucidtouringman they are now letting people interact with the car. We saw the car several months ago, and at that time there were only two complete prototypes in existence, each of which cost about $1.5MM I was told.

Lucid now has a small fleet of pre-production vehicles about to hit final testing (and probably the journalist review circuit), so I suspect keeping those two show cars in pristine condition is no longer imperative.

I did notice in his second photo that the front center armrest has developed divots from elbows, so the car currently on the rounds is beginning to show some wear and tear. (I assume Lucid will use a more wear-resistant padding in the final production cars.)

(I assume Lucid will use a more wear-resistant padding in the final production cars.)
Yes, absolutely keep this in mind. Do not judge the wear on these two prototypes as representative of the real cars. Lucid employees kept reiterating, not only were these assembled by hand, they are not made of production parts and materials. They’re like mostly functional stage props. Made to look real and work just enough for just long enough. I was told the body paneling isn’t even aluminum and half of the buttons, both software and hardware, are just for show. More reasons why they don’t want a bunch of people in there. They’d find and post pictures of all the silly looking and broken things.

Yes, absolutely keep this in mind. Do not judge the wear on these two prototypes as representative of the real cars.

I do not judge the prototypes as representative. After two and a half years driving our Lucid daily, I know the interior materials hold up beautifully. I simply made the point about the armrest to suggest why Lucid had been loathe to let showroom visitors into the demo cars earlier.

I think the R2 will take a big chunk of the buyers looking for an SUV like that. Lucid probably will as well, and Tesla would probably lose sales.
Oddly, I never really considered Rivian... Their vehicle design language is... just not for me.
Stellantis (Jeep) is not exactly known for its best quality, but it would be interesting to see if Wagoneer S would do better than Ariya, RZ450, and Lyriq in terms of sales and continuing the EV-SUV trends.
Didn't add i-Type as the vehicle is going away soon, and iX50 seems to be doing well.

Oddly, I never really considered Rivian... Their vehicle design language is... just not for me.
Stellantis (Jeep) is not exactly known for its best quality, but it would be interesting to see if Wagoneer S would do better than Ariya, RZ450, and Lyriq in terms of sales and continuing the EV-SUV trends.
Didn't add i-Type as the vehicle is going away soon, and iX50 seems to be doing well.

The front end is polarizing, but you get used to it. For me, it's a foil to the current trend of hyper-aggressive vehicle designs. I tend to gravitate towards atypical designs in the greater market, and the same goes for colors. The Wagoneer S looks interesting, and I will be test-driving one. It's in contention for a vehicle replacement next year. My R1T has been the best car I've ever owned, but I am looking for something with faster charging speeds. We take a couple 2K mile road trips yearly and do not have an ICE vehicle. I do not want ICE as a daily, and I do not want an extra car. If I were to do that, I would get a sports car.

Regardless the R2 will be very popular. Rivian is much like Lucid in their desire to innovate and improve the general vehicle experience. Both are already ahead of Tesla IMO as their design languages are superior to Elon's brutalist designs. Those were acceptable when Tesla was a pioneer in EVs but now there are too many viable alternatives with luxury finishings for them to hold up.

I had a reservation for a Launch Edition R1S even longer (4+ years) than for the Lucid Air Dream. I liked its design language -- but then I also liked the funky Ford Flex when it came out. My plan was to take delivery on whichever began deliveries first. Neither were available for test drives beforehand.

In retrospect I'm glad the Air arrived first. Not only it is an absolutely killer driving machine and passenger conveyance, it turned out the Rivian did not have the third-row room I needed for hauling adults and would not have been a suitable replacement for our Honda Odyssey minivan, which had been the plan if it arrived first.

It means we've kept our Honda longer than planned, which is just fine since it's quite a good vehicle. But soon it will be replaced by the Gravity which is much better suited to our uses than the Rivian.

Having driven a Lucid for two and a half years after a lifetime of owning premium and performance cars (mostly German), I am a total convert to the brand, its engineering, and its design idiom.

Both are already ahead of Tesla IMO as their design languages are superior to Elon's brutalist designs.

Amen to that.

Of course, there's always the Cadillac Celeshtick for those who want to drive a true design statement.

I also didn't make it on time but asked the same question...we didn't get anything but they had removed barriers and were allowed to interact with the car and view software a bit more closely. The marketing guy there was nice and offered me the same access if I scheduled it with him at a later date...

Lucky you! I’m envious. The first thing I would have checked out would have been the height of the stepover into the vehicle (my dad, god bless him, is 93 years old). The second thing would have been the third row.

I can understand the minivan comparisons having owned 2 of them over the years - but not recently. Lucid is calling it an SUV.
I concur with those that state it's lower and sleeker, that was my thoughts when I saw it recently at the Oak Brook, Il studio. The specs compared to the Air are: 3" longer; 10 " taller; 10" narrower.
I'm looking at replacing my 17 year old ICE with an EV. I was interested in a coupe but none to speak of yet in the market. I was avoiding SUVs but they are more plentiful then any other class. Then the Gravity was announced and in my mind it's a compelling vehicle. What has drawn me to it is the innovation and technology.

Amen to that.

Of course, there's always the Cadillac Celeshtick for those who want to drive a true design statement.
I like the tongue in cheek name - of course you mean the Celestiq which is priced at over 300K and looks unusual to say the least in profile. Is it a sedan, wagon or hatch. Reminds of when the Panamera first came out. It looked like 3 different cars spliced together. It's evolved into a much more cohesive design.

Back