Home Parking Problem in Carport

Luckyismydog

Cars
750li
Found out the hard way that the slope of our carport doesn't bode well for the GT. We put some additional boards to change the slope but there is still a light scratch when entering and exiting.

Anyone have any recommendations?

image_67126017.JPG

Found out the hard way that the slope of our carport doesn't bode well for the GT. We put some additional boards to change the slope but there is still a light scratch when entering and exiting.

View attachment 4331
maybe something like this?

And then put the wood on the slop side for a little bit more flattening the slope?

Thanks for the reply and idea. The distance between the edge of the ramp and the floor of the garage is only 1 inch. So something like this which is 2.6 inches high might be too tall?

Thanks for the reply and idea. The distance between the edge of the ramp and the floor of the garage is only 1 inch. So something like this which is 2.6 inches high might be too tall?
It's really to get the car at a less steep angle than your current setup. If you install that mini ramp and then put the wood behind it, it will give you a height different of 0.6 inches but you gain the 20 inches of run which MIGHT be enough to not scrape the bottom. Just a thought!

I have this exact same problem. Also 1”. If you find anything, please let me know. I’ve been looking.

Im trying this guy: VIVIJASON 1" Rise Threshold Ramps for Doorways Heavy Duty Door Step Ramp for Wheelchairs, Mobility Scooters and Power Chairs, Driveway Curb Ramp with Slip-Resistant, 1 Pack https://a.co/2llYvIQ

View attachment 4331
I have very steep driveway and installed Sliplo under front of car which helps prevent any damage. Was recommended by another member on this forum.

View attachment 4331

This is a really odd approach configuration: a rise followed by a dip that actually lowers the front of the car as it approaches the garage slab. That looks to be more the issue than the lip on the garage floor, as the Air has a long front overhang and the front wheels would be hitting that dip just as the leading edge of the car reaches the garage floor.

Is there any reason for this dip? The real fix for your problem would seem to be filling it in.

This is a really odd approach configuration: a rise followed by a dip that actually lowers the front of the car as it approaches the garage slab. That looks to be more the issue than the lip on the garage floor, as the Air has a long front overhang and the front wheels would be hitting that dip just as the leading edge of the car reaches the garage floor.

Is there any reason for this dip? The real fix for your problem would seem to be filling it in.
I would imagine the rise before the dip is to enable the water flow from the hill to flow down the road towards a drain instead of into the garage.

One solution would be to flatten that and install a linear drain at the entrance to the garage. Another solution would be to buy a different house which is what I would do.

I would imagine the rise before the dip is to enable the water flow from the hill to flow down the road towards a drain instead of into the garage.

Yeah, but that's what I can't figure out about this contour. It actually seems intended to collect water just in front of the garage rather than drain it away. It keeps water from flowing toward the street, and the side curb keeps water from draining to the side.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.00.59 AM.png

View attachment 4331
I am not sure if this would work because I have yet to get my Lucid and drive it, but you might try switching the drive mode to sprint. This likely stiffens the suspension and reduces the travel of the shocks, giving you the needed clearance.

Interesting thought. I don’t have the problem where I park, but I’m going to try that next I approach a concerning slope.

Interesting thought. I don’t have the problem where I park, but I’m going to try that next I approach a concerning slope.
You'll either clear it, or you'll *really not clear it* ;)

@borski How is it working out for you?
It’s… okay. They work, but the way my driveway is setup they’re not perfect. If I go extremely slowly, I can sometimes avoid scraping. But it is difficult.

That said, it used to be *impossible*, so difficult is an improvement.

Being low to the ground is a performance requirement for good handling. Having steel springs, instead of air springs, is also a requirement for good handling. But the tradeoff is bottoming out the car. Here in Scottsdale we have a number of dips for rain water to run (yes...it does rain once or twice a year) and on a prior sedan, a BMW, I destroyed my belly pan.

If the Lucid had air springs, this problem would be mitigated but the car wouldn't handle the same.

I have very steep driveway and installed Sliplo under front of car which helps prevent any damage. Was recommended by another member on this forum.

Who did you have install them, or were you able to do it yourself? My driveway isn't that steep, but steep enough that if we're not going super slow the front end bottoms out.

Being low to the ground is a performance requirement for good handling. Having steel springs, instead of air springs, is also a requirement for good handling. But the tradeoff is bottoming out the car. Here in Scottsdale we have a number of dips for rain water to run (yes...it does rain once or twice a year) and on a prior sedan, a BMW, I destroyed my belly pan.

If the Lucid had air springs, this problem would be mitigated but the car wouldn't handle the same.
My Mercedes GL 450 had air suspension. Damn thing pretty much lived at the dealer getting the pumps and bladder dealt with. I was thrilled with Lucid announced they will not have this overly complicated suspension set up.

Back