• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Home charger recommendation?

But then that mobile charger requires a 14-50 outlet right? Sadly I don't have it in my garage anywhere
Could trickle off a 110...at like 2 mi/hr haha.

But then that mobile charger requires a 14-50 outlet right? Sadly I don't have it in my garage anywhere
Getting a 14-50 installed would be much a much cheaper alternative than a new charger and would let you use the mobile for now.. You should be able to get one put in fairly easily if your electrical panels are in the garage.

Another Public Service Announcement. Charge Point and other EV chargers require hardwired power for more than 40 amps. Meaning 240VAC plugs are good for 40 amps or less. 50 amp plug derate 20%, just like the breaker. 240VAC, 6ga wire, 50A breaker, and 14-50 plug is good for 40A charger.

Another Public Service Announcement. Charge Point and other EV chargers require hardwired power for more than 40 amps. Meaning 240VAC plugs are good for 40 amps or less. 50 amp plug derate 20%, just like the breaker. 240VAC, 6ga wire, 50A breaker, and 14-50 plug is good for 40A charger.
Sure would appreciate suggested amazon links for the recommended wire for a 14-50 plug?

Sure would appreciate suggested amazon links for the recommended wire for a 14-50 plug?
Are you planning on wiring this yourself? Your electrician will know proper wire size, which will be determined by the length of the run to the charger to accommodate voltage drop.

If you plan on having it only serve the 14-50, 6 gauge is fine. If you want to upgrade to the Lucid home charger, it’s best to run 2 gauge so it can be swapped out at the appropriate time. Again, not sure how far your run will be, but bigger is always better in electrical wire size for safety’s sake.

If you plan on having it only serve the 14-50, 6 gauge is fine. If you want to upgrade to the Lucid home charger, it’s best to run 2 gauge so it can be swapped out at the appropriate time. Again, not sure how far your run will be, but bigger is always better in electrical wire size for safety’s sake.
If you run 2 ga to the 14-50 (for future growth) you still need to initially use a 50A breaker in order to protect the 14-50. You likely will also have to put a junction box near the charger for stepping down the wire ga.. The lugs on the 14-50, or if you hardwire to a charger, can’t handle the large size of the 2 ga. The lugs of the Charge Point are sized to 6ga max. The use of the junction box and the lug size of the Charge Point are per Charge Point technical support.

That is correct, but instead of having to pull 2 gauge in the future, it may be easier to run it from the start. Stepping down isn’t a problem, it’s really about the run being made. If there’s a panel in the garage, it’s an easy run and can be redone at a later date. It gets more complex as you leave the panel. So wire size will still be determined by the complexity of the the initial install. A 14-50 will suit 99% of people, the Lucid EVSE will be of interest to those who wish to use V2H. A major amount of people will most likely require a main panel upgrade, exponentially increasing costs and install times depending on local power company inspections (PG&E here is a 4 week inspection atm).

That is correct, but instead of having to pull 2 gauge in the future, it may be easier to run it from the start. Stepping down isn’t a problem, it’s really about the run being made. If there’s a panel in the garage, it’s an easy run and can be redone at a later date. It gets more complex as you leave the panel. So wire size will still be determined by the complexity of the the initial install. A 14-50 will suit 99% of people, the Lucid EVSE will be of interest to those who wish to use V2H. A major amount of people will most likely require a main panel upgrade, exponentially increasing costs and install times depending on local power company inspections (PG&E here is a 4 week inspection atm).
Yep. My electrician ran a 100amp line with 2 guage, then split it into 2 14-50 with 6 guage after running it to a junction box.

No arguments with you at all. Just a little concerned that some think this is a DIY project. Not done correctly, they could burn their houses down. If an overheating extension cord can start a fire, just imagine what 19.2kW can do.

Just use the mobile charger included with the car until the home charger is available
Thanks. I should have shared more detail. I currently have a Tesla HPWC and wasn't looking to do any additional wiring until the Lucid home charger is available which i hear is 3rd quarter earliest.

Getting a 14-50 installed would be much a much cheaper alternative than a new charger and would let you use the mobile for now.. You should be able to get one put in fairly easily if your electrical panels are in the garage.
So I already have a 100ft wire pulled from the electrical panels all the way across the house into the garage (hehe worst luck) for my Tesla HPWC, would that mean a relatively cheap-ish cost for that NEMA 14-50 instal?

So I already have a 100ft wire pulled from the electrical panels all the way across the house into the garage (hehe worst luck) for my Tesla HPWC, would that mean a relatively cheap-ish cost for that NEMA 14-50 instal?
What gauge wire? what size breaker? You may be in great shape since the HPWC can handle up to 80Amps.

Last edited:
What gauge wire? what size breaker? You may be in great shape since the HPWC can handle up to 80Amps.
All I see here is they've installed a 50 amp recep at garage with surface mounted pipe stubbed to the attic! Im looking at when they sent their estimate from a couple of years ago

No arguments with you at all. Just a little concerned that some think this is a DIY project. Not done correctly, they could burn their houses down. If an overheating extension cord can start a fire, just imagine what 19.2kW can do.
No argument from me either! Just wanted to make sure the original person I was responding too wasn’t trying to tackle it themselves. Always recommended to let the professionals do it, especially with that much power.

No argument from me either! Just wanted to make sure the original person I was responding too wasn’t trying to tackle it themselves. Always recommended to let the professionals do it, especially with that much power.
I'm having an electrician doing the install and said that I would supply the necessary parts. All I need now is the 6 gauge wire with a run less than 20ft but their are so many types and that's why I asked for suggestions on an Amazon link and still hoping to hear from someone?

I guess I'm a little confused. My Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid came with a charger that worked just fine with my Nema 14-50 outlet. The Porsche App also worked fine. The Lucid comes with a similar charger included and I will eventually purchase the bi-directional Lucid Home charger when it becomes available but will just use the included charger in the interim. Why are people considering buying separate units? Am I missing something?
Different locations, multiple homes possibly

Back