Hills and Bumps!!!

MichaelW

Cars
LUCID Air Pure AWD
Hey Guys,
Been an owner of a 2023 Pure AWD for a few days now and love the car. My only gripe is the ride height, as I’ve scraped the bottom of the car 10 times already just getting into my driveway and have even heard it bottom out on some dips in the road (taken slowly). I’m now thinking I’ve gotta park on the street just to avoid damage.

What’s the deal with that? I get that aerodynamics play a part, but I’m a bit paranoid about how to handle even going into underground parking lots in fear of ripping the front skirt off the car.

How are you all handling this?

Pretend I'm a rice rocket and go at an angle for anything that looks too low.

Get down on the ground and look in front of the front tires. You should have rubber wedges. They come off on speed bumps and ramps.

I put some old redwood fence boards 1x6 in the low spots on my driveway; easy fix

Just like hydbob already described above; when in doubt always take it at the angle.

Comes with the performance car territory. Here in Arizona there are many intersections where there are sharp dips to accommodate rain fall (yes...when it does rain every year or so it can cascade down the streets as there is so little absorbency in the ground). It is very easy to bottom out over these.

On my last BMW I destroyed a belly pan. Best advice I have is to drive slowly over these kinds of dips and bumps and when possible, do it on an angle as noted above.

Just like hydbob already described above; when in doubt always take it at the angle.
This advice can be used for many things 😈

I scraped the bottom of the Lucid twice, and then I bought a set of rubber ramps from Vevor. I bought a 2-piece, then added a center piece to cover my entire driveway. Bridjit also makes what look like identical rubber ramps for about 50% more, because they are made in the U.S. The pieces are HEAVY! They provide nuts and bolts so you can string them together. I left the upper bolts a little loose so I could match the curvature on my driveway, then placed a couple drops of Locktight Blue on the threads. Haven't hit bottom since.

Vevor makes two types, one with yellow stripes. I got the ones that are black (dark gray) with curved ends for a more finished look. https://www.vevor.com/curb-ramp-c_1...-3-piece-expandable-for-garage-p_010907937303 They are currently sold out on their website but you might check Amazon. Other vendors, too. Installed 10 months ago and they haven't budged. There's a channel underneath so water can pass through. Not cheap but cheaper than replacing Lucid parts.

Thanks for all the input guys. It’s just something I’ve gotta get used to (coming from an SQ5), but definitely worth it. These are great cars.

Like you, I noticed this immediately when I got the car. I ended up redoing my garage apron to avoid this issue and go at an angle when going over bumps. Unfortunately nothing can be done beside modifying your driveway angle.

Unfortunately I can’t alter our driveway. 😩
Likely going to end up parking on the street for now. It’s not work scraping up the car.

Likely going to end up parking on the street for now. It’s not work scraping up the car.
I have had this problem and added a set of bumps from Vevor in my garage. Basically lifts the tires up right when it's about to bottom out.

Hey Guys,
Been an owner of a 2023 Pure AWD for a few days now and love the car. My only gripe is the ride height, as I’ve scraped the bottom of the car 10 times already just getting into my driveway and have even heard it bottom out on some dips in the road (taken slowly). I’m now thinking I’ve gotta park on the street just to avoid damage.

What’s the deal with that? I get that aerodynamics play a part, but I’m a bit paranoid about how to handle even going into underground parking lots in fear of ripping the front skirt off the car.

How are you all handling this
Hey Guys,

How are you all

MichaelW: I have a very steep rolled curbed entry to my driveway. Thought about a curb cut but, that is very expensive. I bought a set of Bridjit Curb Ramps to resolve this issue. They usually come in three sections but, I bought the center section also. Works well for me.

We have these and they are well made and very solid/heavy and do not move or curl up like some do, we needed them on the 911 also.

Attachments

• 2023-11-16_11-50-46.pdf
    592.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 2023-11-16_11-51-38.pdf
    469.7 KB · Views: 77
MichaelW: I have a very steep rolled curbed entry to my driveway. Thought about a curb cut but, that is very expensive. I bought a set of Bridjit Curb Ramps to resolve this issue. They usually come in three sections but, I bought the center section also. Works well for me.
That is exactly what we have...everyone in our neighborhood with a sportscar uses these are they are great.

I just scraped between the wheels driving into a parking lot. I didn’t even notice the approach had a bit of an apex. This is the lowest car I have owned, but I was surprised it couldn’t handle this. I suppose the long wheelbase lowers the breakover angle more than other cars with similar ground clearance.

It made quite a thump. How worried should I be? It’s going into the service center in two weeks so I can get it checked out then.

See below. Doesn’t look steep to me, but I am clearly not the first to hit this, there are lots of scratches.
IMG_4393.jpeg

I just scraped between the wheels driving into a parking lot. I didn’t even notice the approach had a bit of an apex. This is the lowest car I have owned, but I was surprised it couldn’t handle this. I suppose the long wheelbase lowers the breakover angle more than other cars with similar ground clearance.

It made quite a thump. How worried should I be? It’s going into the service center in two weeks so I can get it checked out then.

See below. Doesn’t look steep to me, but I am clearly not the first to hit this, there are lots of scratches.
View attachment 16683
Do you have any pictures of the bottom of the car? I don't think there would be that much structural damage, but you should always take precautions and check with service.

I know you said you didn't hit the front, but do check the airfoils there. They come off easily.

View attachment 16683
Should be fine. I've done that quite a few times just some scratches on the bottom plate.. now I drive like I did when I had a rice rocket.

Back