Has anyone had this on the Gravity? "Surround View Failed to Load," "Camera Unavailable," "Surround View Cameras Unavailable"?

Oh come on guys - the cameras are a tool of several in the backing up process. Mirrors are critical but, with an ultra premium vehicle that boast these premium features (and you expect to work after shelling out 125k) not an unreasonable ask! I'll buy a a lower grade ev if I want to compromise certainty!
never said it was an unreasonable ask
 
While the cameras on a car like this absolutely SHOULD work reliably, I have to say, do you not know how to use the mirrors to back up?

Maybe it's just because I've been in IT and working with software on a daily basis for 35+ years, but even when my backup cameras are working perfectly, I still don't trust them and also watch my mirrors to make sure I'm not going to hit something.

That would go doubly if I was backing up right after watching the camera fail.
I agree that working in tech tends to instil cynicism about how reliable software is. But human nature being what it is, people will tend to rely exclusively on cameras, especially in a vehicle like the Gravity that has relatively poor visibility with mirrors. Lucid's software team made a serious mistake in (apparently) not approaching the camera engineering with a life-safety-critical mindset. Hopefully they're fixing that, but it's highly likely that the initial OTA patches will be just targeted bug fixes, and not the ground up rethink that's typically necessary to switch from the mindset used to build infotainment systems that don't kill anyone when they fail.
 
I agree that working in tech tends to instil cynicism about how reliable software is. But human nature being what it is, people will tend to rely exclusively on cameras, especially in a vehicle like the Gravity that has relatively poor visibility with mirrors. Lucid's software team made a serious mistake in (apparently) not approaching the camera engineering with a life-safety-critical mindset. Hopefully they're fixing that, but it's highly likely that the initial OTA patches will be just targeted bug fixes, and not the ground up rethink that's typically necessary to switch from the mindset used to build infotainment systems that don't kill anyone when they fail.
Very well said!
 
Back
Top