Amster

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
Forgive me if this has already been discussed or answered. Traffic was reasonably light tonight, so I finally got a chance to turn on HA and drive with it for a while. I've had the car for a year and a half, but never used this. The car has the latest update, 2.4.10. I have the new display with the cars shown in adjacent lanes. Here's my question. Unlike some of the posts I've read on the board about it being smooth, mine is constantly bouncing back and forth between the lane lines. I'm sure the cars behind me probably thought I had been drinking a bit too much of something. I can control it and force it back to center, but it's way more tiring than just driving. And a bit unnerving when it seems to want to drive into another vehicle! Is this normal? Does it just need time to settle down? Or should I call service?

I think you likely just need some sensor recalibration. Mine is never bouncy except on an increasingly rare number of sharper bends. That does take a service visit, but I doubt you need anything serious, just have to point some things back in the right directions.

I use HA on my commute every day, about 40 miles each way. Haven't had the bouncing you describe. Agree that a service visit may be helpful in addressing a calibration.

When I first got the car, mine required recalibration because I experienced what you described.
What I have found is 2.4.10 seems to be much more accurate navigating turns while using HA.
The car now seems to "nibble" at the steering angle vs one "big move".

Forgive me if this has already been discussed or answered. Traffic was reasonably light tonight, so I finally got a chance to turn on HA and drive with it for a while. I've had the car for a year and a half, but never used this. The car has the latest update, 2.4.10. I have the new display with the cars shown in adjacent lanes. Here's my question. Unlike some of the posts I've read on the board about it being smooth, mine is constantly bouncing back and forth between the lane lines. I'm sure the cars behind me probably thought I had been drinking a bit too much of something. I can control it and force it back to center, but it's way more tiring than just driving. And a bit unnerving when it seems to want to drive into another vehicle! Is this normal? Does it just need time to settle down? Or should I call service?

I use HA every day as well and what you are describing is definitely not normal. As others have said, seems like you need service visit and recalibration.

It used to ping pong when I was on 2.1.33 S/W but 2.1.42 and has been smooth and dead centered. Definitely re-calibration is needed...

I agree with the others who suggested recalibration. Pre 2.4.4, mine performed exactly as you described, and recalibration made it much better, although not great. As others have mentioned, with 2.4.4, the car now seems to make far more minor adjustments, so it performs much more like you would expect.

Can recalibration be done as a mobile visit or do I have to bring it to a service center?

What's your technique when using HA:

1) Handsfree without touching the steering wheel until there's a nagging alert to do it

2) 2 hands on at all times

3) 1 hand on at all times

4)...?

What's your technique when using HA:

1) Handsfree without touching the steering wheel until there's a nagging alert to do it

2) 2 hands on at all times

3) 1 hand on at all times

4)...?
My technique when I used it last night was 2 hands on the wheel at all times. I needed that to keep the car moving in anything close to a straight line. I can see if it was working like it was supposed to that 1 hand on the wheel would be okay. That's what I often did in my previous car. Personally, I would never trust a vehicle enough to do option 1. Things can happen too quickly at freeway speeds.

My technique when I used it last night was 2 hands on the wheel at all times. I needed that to keep the car moving in anything close to a straight line. I can see if it was working like it was supposed to that 1 hand on the wheel would be okay. That's what I often did in my previous car. Personally, I would never trust a vehicle enough to do option 1. Things can happen too quickly at freeway speeds.
Could it be that you were applying a slightly more torque on one side that causes a deviation from the center? Then you would compensate with the opposite side and the car would ping pong?

How about if you would do an experiment by hovering your hands without touching it until the nagging alert to see if the ping pong also happens during a short handsfree session?

Could it be that you were applying a slightly more torque on one side that causes a deviation from the center? Then you would compensate with the opposite side and the car would ping pong?
How about if you would do an experiment by hovering your hands without touching it until the nagging alert to see if the ping pong also happens during a short handsfree session?
I had my hands on the wheel, but more resting them than actively steering unless I had to. The way the car is doing HA now, there's no way I'm hands off unless there's no cars on the road. I'll set up a service appointment for later in the year.

I started using HA more after the recent update and note reasonable lane centering, slowing, stopping, and speeding up related to car distance in front, but seems to frightfully take off around turns. Any fix?

I started using HA more after the recent update and note reasonable lane centering, slowing, stopping, and speeding up related to car distance in front, but seems to frightfully take off around turns. Any fix?
Immature algorithms on curves are not that great. As the software department fine-tunes it, it will get better. The question is when. It will certainly be fixed because Lucid expects eyes off, hands off driving in the future.

In the meantime, just manual steer when there are curves. I did that with the very curvy roads on the Appalachian mountain and it worked out well.

Back