Gravity Plan B

I should add - I am disappointed the Gravity hasn’t had more OTA updates. Our 2016 X and early R1S quad easily had at least one OTA per month, if not more. But I am trying to be patient.
 
I thought so too, but was surprised when I saw that the midsized neue iX3 is targeted for 400 mile EPA range and has demonstrated 400kW max charging power. That's a remarkable combination which is unmatched in a midsized vehicle.
If it’s really only 108 kWh battery, that IS impressive…but more than the Air Pure and Air Touring…
 
Actually, my main reason has to do with software. I don’t doubt BMW can put together a solid car (albeit I think their battery chemistry is meh). But the non-EV focused makers haven’t shown their ability to regularly update software and add meaningful features based on my understanding from friends and experience with an iX and Kia EV6. That said, their fobs work…😉

Granted, I have not owned my Gravity long enough to know whether Lucid has software “chops”. Our Tesla and Rivian are markedly better than when we got them because of OTAs. I cannot say the same about the EV6 we had (only a year) or our iX.

But, again, 1,000% my opinion and this is why it’s great there are many manufacturers making EVs now.

I currently own an iX (2025) and Air (2024). The reason to go iX was primarily an amazing lease deal. However, there were a few pleasant surprises. Build quality is good, gets more than EPA rated range, hands-free highway is superb and auto parking always works. Parallel, angled, in between cars, with just lines, etc. Also love the dash cam feature - auto and manual activation. It is quiet, comfortable and my BW sounds system is one of the best. Software updates are quarterly scheduled and sporadic bug fix releases. Last quarterly update was meh, compared to amazing features Lucid has been rolling out.

But it doesn’t come close to my Air with regards to handling, tuning, packaging and pure joy in driving.
 
I made a comment similar this recently to some folks i was speaking with about EVs. I said no more EVs from non-EV only makers. It’s not a core business for them. For the foreseeable future I’ll buy from the US EV makers. I like offerings from all three so I’ll be fine.
The question is will companies like Lucid and Rivian even survive long enough to reach profitability? That's a real risk.

I'm willing to take that chance because as a product, the Gravity is so far ahead of the competition in many ways. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about them still existing 3 years down the road to support it.
 
Well, I have to admit it - I am starting to think about a Gravity Plan B. I just don't have a ton of confidence I'm going to get this car any time soon. There's a very real possibility this gets dragged out into 2026. Gosh, I hope I am wrong, but at a certain point I have to wonder: Maybe Lucid's just not that into me. Since there's nothing else to talk about besides arguing about what Lucid should or shouldn't have communicated and when, or speculating on holdups, maybe at least it would be fun to talk about alternatives (and how and why they don't compare 😢 )

I think I would go in one of two directions:

Rivian R1S, probably a tri-motor with max range.
  • Pros: Comparable vehicle class/size/convenience/camp mode, same (better) acceleration figures (not necessary but fun), price (cheaper than GT, much cheaper than DE), better lease/finance terms, tintable glass roof, more established automaker with more service centers and fielded vehicles. Ride in the 2nd gen is supposed to be pretty good. Oh, and I can get one now.
  • Cons: Less range/efficiency, no NACS (helpful for me because I have a Tesla now, which I will keep, and so home charging will require a new charger or an adaptor), MUCH slower Supercharging and thus less road-trip-ability, much less refined cabin (it's not bad but not on Lucid level), packaging not as good (less overall room, 3rd row not as useful - although i will use row 3 extremely rarely). Overall driving dynamics won't be nearly as good as Lucid.
Lucid Air GT.
  • Pros: Probably a better driving car overall. Still a Lucid with a beautiful interior (honestly I think Lucid's interiors are the best in the business to my tastes right now). Cheap as s*** and incentivized to heck right now. AVAILABLE NOW.
  • Cons: Much less convenience. Even a significant downgrade from my Tesla S with a hatch - I hate the Air trunk. Ultimately, it just isn't the class of vehicle I was looking to buy just now. No NACS. No Tesla SC Boost. Also I personally don't think the Air looks as good as Gravity. I hate the contrasting color and shape/size of the C pillar - it reminds me of the bad Cadillacs from the 80s and makes it look like an old man's car (though the rest of the car looks quite good). I still hear scary stuff about the software. It will feel like 2nd prize.

OK, I said 2, but just for giggles I'll throw in the Hummer EV SUV.
  • Pros: I freaking love the removeable T-Top feature. It's totally unique in the world and just so much fun (though I question how often I would actually use it - manual removal and stowage cannot be a simple procedure). Still a stupid acceleration vehicle. Can go anywhere! Crab Walk (not sure what the point is but fun for a toy). Has an undeniable cool factor; I'm ashamed to admit it but I still go "oooh" when I see one and can't deny I kind of want one. Cheaper than Gravity. I could be driving one this weekend.
  • Cons: Just about everything else. Efficiency is a joke, no NACS, DC Fast Charging will be a pain, this thing probably can't road trip. Interior is, uhhh, not good. I test drove one and there were squeaks and rattles all over the place.
What about you guys? Anyone else starting to get dismayed? Do you have a drop-dead point where you finally leave your abusive car-teaser? If you did, into whose willing arms would you run?
Yep; same. I love my ‘26 X7 (went totally opposite direction w/V8) ,, in 3 years will see where Lucid is. Endless waiting; i ran out of time. But if BMW is on radar just do it and come back to Lucid or other later.
 
We did complete our loop of the test drives and here is what the rankings ended up with some notes:

1: Lucid Gravity - Overall best driving and ride, space, frunk, charging, range, best test drive experience with the Studio folks vs stealership; downside is availability and lease cost.
2: Volve EX90: Also drove really well, couldn't test an Ultra with Air Suspension, but it's quite agile, smooth and drives well plus awesome sound system and good design. Smallest 3rd row and overall space. Similar leasing rates to the Vistiq.
3: Hyundai Ioniq 9: Tested the SEL. Car drives really easy and smooth, although a bit boring. Great charging, space is also good and value. Leases are compelling. Dealer experience was bad, they weren't ready, had moved out the Calligraphy we wanted, the test car wasn't quite ready and filled with stuff and only charged to 19%.
4: Cadillac Vistiq Platinum: Great Tech like Video Camera Rear Mirror, Super Cruise, HUD. Rode pretty bad on 23 low profile and drove the worst from ride refinement and most big and trucklike. Dealer was willing to give us the 7500 tax credit in a lease which the vehicle was 100K MSRP. Liked the Green on the Luxury trim and would probably go for that since its 7 seat. Ultimately it only offers tow package with 6 seater.

Biggest surprise for me was the Air Ride cars didn't ride significantly better than the Volvo or most interestingly our Air Touring or Loaner Pure. I like the ride height adjustability but was expecting more magic.. I think the Gravity and Ioniq 9 are really the only buyable ones, since they have Native NACS and 800V platform. I believe both the Volvo and Vistiq will get a new year refresh to add NACs. I feel like changing a charge port to NACs should be an OEM upgrade/retrofit option for older EVs. The Gravity and Pure loaner I have from 25 also feel like better from build quality which I can't really explain, and both their steering feels tighter.
 
... I feel like changing a charge port to NACs should be an OEM upgrade/retrofit option for older EVs. ...
Unfortunately there is more to it than just swapping out the charge port. A carmaker would also have to swap in a different, notably larger charge controller box, if it could be engineered to be retrofittable. A pretty substantial change.

BTW Out of Spec did a 3-row SUV comparison and came to conclusions similar to yours:
 
I spent much of this year (atleast 6 months) looking at about every possible 3 row EV SUV available this year. Test drove a majority of them, some even more than once. I landed on lucid due to 3 main criteria, and would be interested in hearing from others of whats important to you or why did you decide lucid?

3 Main Criteria:
1. Range, other than R1S and Escalade, nothing else touched it.
2. 3rd row leg room, again several had close to the same amount but under 30 inches isnt really good enough for a teenage boy (6'0)
3. Price to value - lowest cost wasnt the factor nor was i intending to spend over 250K

what wasnt important:
Price - i believe you get what you pay for. The cost cutting happens somewhere, so base your decision on what you can afford but spend the money in a way that gets you the best return.
Technology - they all are doing very similar things and yes some are a little more in front of others but this can change literally overnight with a new hire. And getting someone in the automotive field that has software exp, isnt as difficult as you might imagine. A good architect with a good UX designer, and within 18 months you can go from last place to forefront in the field. Work yes, but not as complicated as designing a great EV vehicle.
Self Driving Capability - I care about driving that will help make it easier, esp in regards to freeway (limited ingress/egress traffic). However i am not interested in my car being capable to be on the forefront of proving out this technology. I was an early adopter of the FSD because in hindsight i had faith in technology progress. I dont belive based on where we are now with how well FSD has gotten ( i purchased when i bought my first X in 2017 for 2K EAP + 2K FSD) and over that time i have seen one truth consistently, when your almost in an accident, you think seriously about if you want to use FSD if it meant you might be seriously impacted for the rest of your life due to a high speed accident. Just some things in life arent worth the ROI of ease of use. This was one of them. I want Dream Drive Pro, but if it only did the standard items (self parking, lane keep, dynamic cruise control, etc.) that was all i was really i concerned about day 1.

Final comment: i intend to lease, mainly because of the 7500 credit, even though initially my pref was to purchase. But after some additional time considering, it may be best to just lease because i dont believe this is the long term Gravity i want, its prob a generation or 2 early for that.

atleast thats my opinion....
 
I spent much of this year (atleast 6 months) looking at about every possible 3 row EV SUV available this year. Test drove a majority of them, some even more than once. I landed on lucid due to 3 main criteria, and would be interested in hearing from others of whats important to you or why did you decide lucid?

3 Main Criteria:
1. Range, other than R1S and Escalade, nothing else touched it.
2. 3rd row leg room, again several had close to the same amount but under 30 inches isnt really good enough for a teenage boy (6'0)
3. Price to value - lowest cost wasnt the factor nor was i intending to spend over 250K

what wasnt important:
Price - i believe you get what you pay for. The cost cutting happens somewhere, so base your decision on what you can afford but spend the money in a way that gets you the best return.
Technology - they all are doing very similar things and yes some are a little more in front of others but this can change literally overnight with a new hire. And getting someone in the automotive field that has software exp, isnt as difficult as you might imagine. A good architect with a good UX designer, and within 18 months you can go from last place to forefront in the field. Work yes, but not as complicated as designing a great EV vehicle.
Self Driving Capability - I care about driving that will help make it easier, esp in regards to freeway (limited ingress/egress traffic). However i am not interested in my car being capable to be on the forefront of proving out this technology. I was an early adopter of the FSD because in hindsight i had faith in technology progress. I dont belive based on where we are now with how well FSD has gotten ( i purchased when i bought my first X in 2017 for 2K EAP + 2K FSD) and over that time i have seen one truth consistently, when your almost in an accident, you think seriously about if you want to use FSD if it meant you might be seriously impacted for the rest of your life due to a high speed accident. Just some things in life arent worth the ROI of ease of use. This was one of them. I want Dream Drive Pro, but if it only did the standard items (self parking, lane keep, dynamic cruise control, etc.) that was all i was really i concerned about day 1.

Final comment: i intend to lease, mainly because of the 7500 credit, even though initially my pref was to purchase. But after some additional time considering, it may be best to just lease because i dont believe this is the long term Gravity i want, its prob a generation or 2 early for that.

atleast thats my opinion....

My 3 main criteria:

1. Road trip prowess, from the combo of long range and fast charging.
2. Space for me, my wife, our two dogs, and a decent amount of luggage on a long road trip.
3. Safety, both crash avoidance, and crash survivability.

On #1 and #2, a Gravity is a slam dunk winner. On #3, I'm actually not sure how good Gravity really is, so I'm putting my faith in Lucid's engineering team. And banking on Dream Drive steadily getting better. While I very much appreciate the driving experience itself, I'd sacrifice that for my top 3 if I had to. But I'm happy that Gravity is great on that front as well.
 
On #3, I'm actually not sure how good Gravity really is, so I'm putting my faith in Lucid's engineering team.

Other than the fact that the same team engineered both cars, I know comparing the Air to the Gravity for crashworthiness is apples and oranges.

But, for what it's worth, I can tell you that the Air is rock solid in a crash. Our first Dream Edition Performance was in a crash in which a teenager in an WRX turned left across our lane of travel. Both cars were totaled. However, in our Air there was no cabin deformity at all. All the air bags deployed, but every door opened and closed as if nothing had happened. We both got out of the car and walked away without so much as a bruise or a sore neck, then or later. (We replaced the car with an identical Dream we found on the used market and that we still have.)

@Amster was involved in an even more serious accident in her Air when her husband tried to pass on a narrow mountain road and an oncoming car sent them into a rock cliff face. The car was totaled but, other than his broken wrist (if I'm remember correctly), there were no significant injuries.

Also, our current Air with over 42,000 miles on it is still as solid and quiet as a tomb. By 10,000 miles our Model S Plaid was emitting annoying squeaks and groans from its hind quarters.

We haven't had as much time in our Gravity as we would like, but everything about the body structure telegraphs the same structural solidity we experienced in our Airs. I think your faith in Lucid's engineering team on this score is well-founded.
 
Other than the fact that the same team engineered both cars, I know comparing the Air to the Gravity for crashworthiness is apples and oranges.

But, for what it's worth, I can tell you that the Air is rock solid in a crash. Our first Dream Edition Performance was in a crash in which a teenager in an WRX turned left across our lane of travel. Both cars were totaled. However, in our Air there was no cabin deformity at all. All the air bags deployed, but every door opened and closed as if nothing had happened. We both got out of the car and walked away without so much as a bruise or a sore neck, then or later. (We replaced the car with an identical Dream we found on the used market and that we still have.)

@Amster was involved in an even more serious accident in her Air when her husband tried to pass on a narrow mountain road and an oncoming car sent them into a rock cliff face. The car was totaled but, other than his broken wrist (if I'm remember correctly), there were no significant injuries.

Also, our current Air with over 42,000 miles on it is still as solid and quiet as a tomb. By 10,000 miles our Model S Plaid was emitting annoying squeaks and groans from its hind quarters.

We haven't had as much time in our Gravity as we would like, but everything about the body structure telegraphs the same structural solidity we experienced in our Airs. I think your faith in Lucid's engineering team on this score is well-founded.
Our Air was in a collision, and the other car was totaled. We had a hole in our bumper and decent damage, but I literally barely felt a jolt.

Also, it scored the highest possible score on every single NHTSA test, resulting in an overall score of five stars.

You can watch the crash tests online. They’re fun to watch, because the car is so structurally sound it actually moves the equipment haha.

I have absolutely zero reason to assume the Gravity won’t meet those same standards, but you’re right that we don’t technically have proof of that yet.

Watch this video:

The foldable rails are pretty brilliant, but the wheel glancing off in the overlap rigid barrier test at the end is something only one other brand has accomplished, if I recall correctly - Volvo.

I’m personally not concerned, and strongly suspect they will walk away with the highest marks again.
 
Oddly i more seriously considered the EscaladeIQ BECAUSE of its 9k lb weight. But was really turned off by the cheap plastic pieces inside, that dimensioned its value it my eyes for the ROI. At the very least they seemed like the paint(not sure if painted) would rub off easy...

The body weight for gravity is less than the model X correct?
 

The EV Cayenne doesn't have 50% of the space of the Gravity but it does have 350-370 miles of range, over 800v architecture and software that works (apple carplay, android auto), and has great driving characteristics. I'm currently eyeing this and thinking of revisiting the Gravity to replace my aging 2017 Model S P100D once Lucid has everything fixed.
 

The EV Cayenne doesn't have 50% of the space of the Gravity but it does have 350-370 miles of range, over 800v architecture and software that works (apple carplay, android auto), and has great driving characteristics. I'm currently eyeing this and thinking of revisiting the Gravity to replace my aging 2017 Model S P100D once Lucid has everything fixed.
Looked at this also.

Pro:
1. Similar range and possibly slightly better charging speed.
2. Similar and possibly better driving dynamics (in Turbo version)
3. Established prestige brand with good dealer network

Con:
1. 2 row, not 3 row
2. Less room/storage
3. Porsche not likely to prioritize advance ADAS capabilities (at least based on current models.)
4. It is going to be VERY expensive. Base model will probably start at same price as fully loaded GGT and Turbo (Gravity DE competitor) will most likely be well over $200k
 
Looked at this also.

Pro:
1. Similar range and possibly slightly better charging speed.
2. Similar and possibly better driving dynamics (in Turbo version)
3. Established prestige brand with good dealer network

Con:
1. 2 row, not 3 row
2. Less room/storage
3. Porsche not likely to prioritize advance ADAS capabilities (at least based on current models.)
4. It is going to be VERY expensive. Base model will probably start at same price as fully loaded GGT and Turbo (Gravity DE competitor) will most likely be well over $200k
Con #4 is my main problem. The Gravity is at the top of my price range. I could afford the Cayenne if I wanted it, but it just rubs me wrong to spend that much money on a rapidly depreciating vehicle when there are some great options for well under the $100K mark. I'd love have a vehicle that doesn't have the glitches of a Gravity, but it's not worth that much extra money to me. The Gravity's quality problems would cause me to wait a year or two more than they'd cause me to consider the Porsche.
 
One interesting thing to note. The Cayenne is 5.7% more efficient than the Gravity getting 3.3mi/kw on Kyle's test drive on mid-spec 21inch Pzeros when comparing the Lucid Gravity 5 seater 20/21 wheels getting 3.11mi/kw on Notch's test. Of course these are not 1:1 comparisons because of differing drivers, driving areas and weather conditions.

But looking at everything else - the Cayenne is very close to the Gravity's outside dimensions (2 inches shorter in length and about the same width with mirrors), and is using a 108kw battery pack vs the Gravity's 123kw. Both drag coefficients are basically the same @ 0.24. Both weigh about the same at roughly 6000 pounds (how did Lucid add 15kW of battery at the same weight? A 13.5kW powerwall weighs ~ 250 pounds...could be the wireless charging module adding up weight on the Porsche?). A nearly 6% mi/kw delta between the two cars lead me to believe there must be some efficiency tuning issues on the Gravity or Porsche is doing some magic German efficiency, or much more likely is that Porsche is overstating the weight.

I am less price sensitive and just want the best car for my purposes. I also don't factor in resell value. If there was a Gravity Zero Bug edition that was 100k more but with perfect software, Android and iOS support, and with no defects whatsoever on the interior or exterior I would buy that immediately.
 
The pricing from Porsche is insane, and if you think the software will be better than the Gravity, I encourage you to check out the Macan EV threads on Rennlist. Also, Porsche dealers still have to find a way to gouge their customers on overpriced service, even for EVs that should require almost none.

I have a Cayenne and love it for what it is, and would consider an electric one if it was priced reasonably, but as it is it won’t even be a consideration for me or most other buyers.
 
One interesting thing to note. The Cayenne is 5.7% more efficient than the Gravity getting 3.3mi/kw on Kyle's test drive on mid-spec 21inch Pzeros when comparing the Lucid Gravity 5 seater 20/21 wheels getting 3.11mi/kw on Notch's test. Of course these are not 1:1 comparisons because of differing drivers, driving areas and weather conditions.

But looking at everything else - the Cayenne is very close to the Gravity's outside dimensions (2 inches shorter in length and about the same width with mirrors), and is using a 108kw battery pack vs the Gravity's 123kw. Both drag coefficients are basically the same @ 0.24. Both weigh about the same at roughly 6000 pounds (how did Lucid add 15kW of battery at the same weight? A 13.5kW powerwall weighs ~ 250 pounds...could be the wireless charging module adding up weight on the Porsche?). A nearly 6% mi/kw delta between the two cars lead me to believe there must be some efficiency tuning issues on the Gravity or Porsche is doing some magic German efficiency, or much more likely is that Porsche is overstating the weight.

I am less price sensitive and just want the best car for my purposes. I also don't factor in resell value. If there was a Gravity Zero Bug edition that was 100k more but with perfect software, Android and iOS support, and with no defects whatsoever on the interior or exterior I would buy that immediately.
It will be interesting when there are side by side tests. Aero is much more important than weight for constant high speed driving.
Out of Spec just did a range test of off-road SUV EVs.
G-class: 230mi
Hummer: 291mi
Rivian R1S: 376mi, very impressive for a brick!
 
One interesting thing to note. The Cayenne is 5.7% more efficient than the Gravity getting 3.3mi/kw on Kyle's test drive on mid-spec 21inch Pzeros when comparing the Lucid Gravity 5 seater 20/21 wheels getting 3.11mi/kw on Notch's test. Of course these are not 1:1 comparisons because of differing drivers, driving areas and weather conditions.

But looking at everything else - the Cayenne is very close to the Gravity's outside dimensions (2 inches shorter in length and about the same width with mirrors), and is using a 108kw battery pack vs the Gravity's 123kw. Both drag coefficients are basically the same @ 0.24. Both weigh about the same at roughly 6000 pounds (how did Lucid add 15kW of battery at the same weight? A 13.5kW powerwall weighs ~ 250 pounds...could be the wireless charging module adding up weight on the Porsche?). A nearly 6% mi/kw delta between the two cars lead me to believe there must be some efficiency tuning issues on the Gravity or Porsche is doing some magic German efficiency, or much more likely is that Porsche is overstating the weight.

I am less price sensitive and just want the best car for my purposes. I also don't factor in resell value. If there was a Gravity Zero Bug edition that was 100k more but with perfect software, Android and iOS support, and with no defects whatsoever on the interior or exterior I would buy that immediately.
It’s not so much that I am price sensitive as I am unwilling to part with my hard earned money for something that I believe is genuinely overpriced literally for a name/logo.

Don’t get me wrong - Porsche makes great cars. Will their Cayenne EV be worth THAT much more (whatever it costs)? To me, no.

Honestly, it’s the same reason I don’t have an Air Sapphire. Super cool and amazing car. Worth $250,000? Not to me.

That said, fully realize value and worth are very relative and subjective.
 
Back
Top