Gravity noise at high speeds

FxnBonz

Member

Joined
Nov 2, 2024
Messages
29
Reaction score
51
I am about 2 weeks into my Gravity GT and it has exceeded my expectations. There are the occasional software glitches. It drives beautifully. However, i get an intermittent "noise" at high speeds. it's a low pitched, rumbling type noise. At first, I thought it was wind noise, but I am doubting that because it is inconsistent. I wonder if it is a motor. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this. I know the Gravity orders are creeping out, but i would expect this may be seen in either the Dream or Grand Touring editions. i am hoping it will rectify itself. Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
 
try to record it.
 
I have not and I drive the freeway about 60 miles a day at about 65-75 mph.
 
I am about 2 weeks into my Gravity GT and it has exceeded my expectations. There are the occasional software glitches. It drives beautifully. However, i get an intermittent "noise" at high speeds. it's a low pitched, rumbling type noise. At first, I thought it was wind noise, but I am doubting that because it is inconsistent. I wonder if it is a motor. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this. I know the Gravity orders are creeping out, but i would expect this may be seen in either the Dream or Grand Touring editions. i am hoping it will rectify itself. Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
What speed? And does it occur on all roads when driving that speed?
 
on my last trip to North Carolina, I did notice a wierd noise from the front of the car. it ended up being a part of the highway where the front tire treads made a noise. once the highway changed the noise never returned. i think the tires may be “grabbing” the highway a certain way. have you considered this?
 
on my last trip to North Carolina, I did notice a wierd noise from the front of the car. it ended up being a part of the highway where the front tire treads made a noise. once the highway changed the noise never returned. i think the tires may be “grabbing” the highway a certain way. have you considered this?
i considered this, but i don't think it's this highway...i have heard it under varying conditions...i drive the same roads with a BMW iX M70 and i hear nothing...initially it very loud...seems to be getting less (hopefully the trend continues)
 
It's probably the front cowl. The piece of plastic where the wipers rest. Next time you hear it try hitting the wipers and see if it changes
 
on my last trip to North Carolina, I did notice a wierd noise from the front of the car. it ended up being a part of the highway where the front tire treads made a noise. once the highway changed the noise never returned. i think the tires may be “grabbing” the highway a certain way. have you considered this?
Yes...but it typically starts a few min after I hit 75mph...may do it for 15-20 min, then stop...may do it again later...some ft imes not
 
Yesterday was the first time I took a long freeway trip in my new Gravity and had an opportunity to go above 75mph. I think it also coinsided with particular speed and/or direction of the head wind on that stretch of the road. There was a sudden noise, like a wind tunnel or an airplane takeoff experience, rumbling, deep whining sound, increasing with speed and very unnerving.
Slowing down below 75mph the noise disappears, speeding up above 75mph it comes back again. I looked at ride height, it was automatic and currently set to Low, ride mode was default Smooth. I was curious if ride height had an effect on noise, so I set it manually to Standard and the noise appeared to have reduced, but not gone away. The wind was also changing and road was going up and down, so noise change might not have been related to me changing the ride height. The noise was so loud and unnerving that I decided to stay below 75mph, plus the traffic conditions have changed such that I couldn't go faster anyway for much longer.
It feels like some panel in the front or below is vibrating at a certain resonance when the right wind condition is met. I would definitely want this fixed, but I have more immediate issues with the car software that puts this issue on a backburner for now, unless I'm forced to bring it to SC, then I will add it to the laundry list.
Anyone experienced the same noise in similar conditions?
 
Yesterday was the first time I took a long freeway trip in my new Gravity and had an opportunity to go above 75mph. I think it also coinsided with particular speed and/or direction of the head wind on that stretch of the road. There was a sudden noise, like a wind tunnel or an airplane takeoff experience, rumbling, deep whining sound, increasing with speed and very unnerving.
Slowing down below 75mph the noise disappears, speeding up above 75mph it comes back again. I looked at ride height, it was automatic and currently set to Low, ride mode was default Smooth. I was curious if ride height had an effect on noise, so I set it manually to Standard and the noise appeared to have reduced, but not gone away. The wind was also changing and road was going up and down, so noise change might not have been related to me changing the ride height. The noise was so loud and unnerving that I decided to stay below 75mph, plus the traffic conditions have changed such that I couldn't go faster anyway for much longer.
It feels like some panel in the front or below is vibrating at a certain resonance when the right wind condition is met. I would definitely want this fixed, but I have more immediate issues with the car software that puts this issue on a backburner for now, unless I'm forced to bring it to SC, then I will add it to the laundry list.
Anyone experienced the same noise in similar conditions?
YES!!!
i can tell you this befuddled me for months
i will cut to the chaste...the sound was intermittent....i finally took it in and they had a tech/engineer from arizona flown in to evaluate
he put sensors around the car to isolate the sound
what he found was that a part was not tightened correctly
when they fixed that, the problem went away
i would advise you to have your service technician call Chris at the Riveria Service Center in Florida
my problem was that piece was not not torqued to specifications
 
Yesterday was the first time I took a long freeway trip in my new Gravity and had an opportunity to go above 75mph. I think it also coinsided with particular speed and/or direction of the head wind on that stretch of the road. There was a sudden noise, like a wind tunnel or an airplane takeoff experience, rumbling, deep whining sound, increasing with speed and very unnerving.
Slowing down below 75mph the noise disappears, speeding up above 75mph it comes back again. I looked at ride height, it was automatic and currently set to Low, ride mode was default Smooth. I was curious if ride height had an effect on noise, so I set it manually to Standard and the noise appeared to have reduced, but not gone away. The wind was also changing and road was going up and down, so noise change might not have been related to me changing the ride height. The noise was so loud and unnerving that I decided to stay below 75mph, plus the traffic conditions have changed such that I couldn't go faster anyway for much longer.
It feels like some panel in the front or below is vibrating at a certain resonance when the right wind condition is met. I would definitely want this fixed, but I have more immediate issues with the car software that puts this issue on a backburner for now, unless I'm forced to bring it to SC, then I will add it to the laundry list.
Anyone experienced the same noise in similar conditions?
OMG.

Here is my recording (around the 10-11s mark). Use headphones for better fidelity.

It’s a rumble / booming/ resonating sound.

I can replicate it consistently around 75-77 mph.
 
OMG.

Here is my recording (around the 10-11s mark). Use headphones for better fidelity.

It’s a rumble / booming/ resonating sound.

I can replicate it consistently around 75-77 mph.
Yea, I think it's the same sound. It might have been amplified by strong headwind where I was driving at the time, but it sounds very similar.
It's not a drivetrain or motor sound, it's some surface vibrating at a resonant frequency in a wind tunnel.
I tried poking under the car, but it's all one big smooth surface down there, so I think the noise is coming from behind the front grill where heat exchanger is located, or the grill itself, which seems to have a rotating flap controlling the airflow.
I will take @FxnBonz advise and report it to my SC when I have an opportunity.
 
Ok. I just did a 200 mile ride.

The loud booming noise is unbearable. It’s like someone has started a microphone feedback sound on a subwoofer. Starts at around 71/72 mph and I tracked it consistently to around 82. Tails off after that.

I am going to take it to the SC once I’m back. Ugh. I got a headache sitting inside the car.
 
OMG.

Here is my recording (around the 10-11s mark). Use headphones for better fidelity.

It’s a rumble / booming/ resonating sound.

I can replicate it consistently around 75-77 mph.
Incredible rickroll opportunity missed.

What’s the warning dialogue on the screen? That looks worrisome.
 
Ok. I just did a 200 mile ride.

The loud booming noise is unbearable. It’s like someone has started a microphone feedback sound on a subwoofer. Starts at around 71/72 mph and I tracked it consistently to around 82. Tails off after that.

I am going to take it to the SC once I’m back. Ugh. I got a headache sitting inside the car.
I will try to find and upload my service report
But definitely have your SA call Chris at the Riviera Beach service center
 
Ok. I just did a 200 mile ride.

The loud booming noise is unbearable. It’s like someone has started a microphone feedback sound on a subwoofer. Starts at around 71/72 mph and I tracked it consistently to around 82. Tails off after that.

I am going to take it to the SC once I’m back. Ugh. I got a headache sitting inside the car.
This morning I did a test by slowly accelerating all the way to 100mph, but did not have the rumbling sound at all, at any speed.
It was a colder morning with heat active, which could be keeping the grill airflow dampener closed (I can't prove it, just a guess), which could affect the airflow under the hood.
Previously, when I had the noise, it was a warm day and we had A/C on, so I assume the grill dampener was open.

Another observation, which might be related, when going thru the car wash, at the end when it blasts drying air onto the car, I can see the top edge of the hood vibrating and making similar rumbling noise. I wonder if the road noise is also from the hood vibration, just not as obviously visible.
 
Back
Top