Gravity HUD Position and Clarity Questions

What view out of the rear window? 🤣

🧦
Yep. It's shocking how bad it is. That's one thing a did not expect, particularly in a $100k luxury car.

It's so bad that Lucid really should give us a live rearview camera display when the car is moving.
 
Is there anyone happy with HUD or should one simply not take it while ordering a new Gravity?!
I'm VERY happy I didn't order it after reading everyone's experiences on here!!
 
Is there anyone happy with HUD or should one simply not take it while ordering a new Gravity?!
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I am happy with it.

I'm 5'8" (that's average height! I'm not short!) and have the seat at the lowest height and not that far reclined back, and my hud is straight and sharp. It does sit right above the clearview screen and is a bit redundant, but the best thing it does show there are the blind spot warnings and the next step for navigation when using the built in nav. It seems to usually be in the line of sight with the bumper of the car in front of me if stopped at a light, just for reference.

I have my brightness up almost all the way and it isn't distracting. It does get dark with polarized sunglasses but that's expected, and a slight head tilt allows me to see everything. The only time I see the blue oval is if I bring my head uncomfortably low. The only time it seems distorted is if I bring my head uncomfortably up. I have not ever been distracted by the glare from the outline/frame, which is noticeable to me when I specifically look for it only because I know others have been bothered by it. Ive experienced the bad glare from the sun being at just the wrong angle only once and it wasn't that distracting to me as others have made it seem. I have also occasionally had the backlight seem too bright occasionally, but only slightly and briefly for example when entering a parking garage during the daytime before it can adjust, and it adjusts quickly.
 
Is there anyone happy with HUD or should one simply not take it while ordering a new Gravity?!

I like the HUD. I’ve used the HUD since I’ve owned my Gravity and I’ve experienced it all. Blue blob reflection at certain sun angles, brightness changes, frame reflection, calibration/tilt, blurriness, etc. I’m not diminishing those warts.

However, I missed the HUD the few times it glitched and remained on the startup screen. I pulled over at the first convenient opportunity and did a reset to get it back rather than turn it off.
 
I've had the Gravity since October and while I do think HUD is better than no HUD, mine is very obviously out of alignment. Has Lucid made any official comment on how/when they may fix the crooked out of alignment HUD issues? When i inquired on delivery they basically said nothing they could do at that time. It creates a double vision issue for the numbers and I have to lean left to see the right lane warning marker. When both lane warning markers are visible the right one is 150% larger and is lower compared to the left. It is obviously mal-positioned.
A few people have posted about trying to get Lucid to fix HUD alignment issues, with pretty mixed results. A number of owners report that Lucid says the alignment is within-spec/as-intended. But some others have said that the service center attempted to recalibrate their HUD, not always with good results. To my knowledge, Lucid hasn't said anything publicly about HUD alignment issues, which seem to be far from rare, but not universal.

Since the point of their HUD design is to eventually have an AR overlay atop the road and traffic in front of you, I expect that the HUD geometry is specifically designed to project right in the center of the driver's view, and not down at the bottom as has been more traditional. People expecting/hoping for a HUD revision to move the display lower are thus likely to be disappointed. But owners who feel the display is tilted to the side a bit have a reasonable expectation that Lucid fixes their alignment.
 
A few people have posted about trying to get Lucid to fix HUD alignment issues, with pretty mixed results. A number of owners report that Lucid says the alignment is within-spec/as-intended. But some others have said that the service center attempted to recalibrate their HUD, not always with good results. To my knowledge, Lucid hasn't said anything publicly about HUD alignment issues, which seem to be far from rare, but not universal.

Since the point of their HUD design is to eventually have an AR overlay atop the road and traffic in front of you, I expect that the HUD geometry is specifically designed to project right in the center of the driver's view, and not down at the bottom as has been more traditional. People expecting/hoping for a HUD revision to move the display lower are thus likely to be disappointed. But owners who feel the display is tilted to the side a bit have a reasonable expectation that Lucid fixes their alignment.
I had mine recalibrated twice. Made it much worse.
 
I had mine recalibrated twice. Made it much worse.
Since they've kept it in the option list for the 2027 Gravity, I assume they're continuing to work to make it more acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hardware revisions at some point, and early owners such as you may need to insist on getting the entire HUD swapped out. Which sounds like it's actually a fairly major service item for them to do.
 
Yep. It's shocking how bad it is. That's one thing a did not expect, particularly in a $100k luxury car.

It's so bad that Lucid really should give us a live rearview camera display when the car is moving.
Yes, I would love a camera rearview display. But, I'm not disappointed in the normal view out the back. I knew about it before I bought in - and price doesn't have anything to do with it. Hypercars don't have a view out the back 180 degrees of view - it isn't price.

And, you can always lower the 3rd row seats head rests. :) .
 
, that's not a function of the HUD being on or off, that's a result of the recessed plastic cover in the dash. Only way to stop that (when the sun is at the wrong angle and reflects off it) is to cover it with something like a dark towel.
Ok did not know/understand that before. THanks for the explanation.
The sun is rarely at that angle so it's rarely an issue. But when it does happen, it's good to have a towel handy to throw up there.
Ok.
I'm VERY happy I didn't order it after reading everyone's experiences on here!!
Mhh so you do not miss it then. I would because I use it intensively with my audi etron.
Since they've kept it in the option list for the 2027 Gravity, I assume they're continuing to work to make it more acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hardware revisions at some point, and early owners such as you may need to insist on getting the entire HUD swapped out. Which sounds like it's actually a fairly major service item for them to do.
I can only hope so. I would only go for the 2027er model anyway, since i do not need one right now.


But it really seems that the HUD is not properly developed etc. With Audi it works like a charm and I would not want to miss it ..
 
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I am happy with it.

I'm 5'8" (that's average height! I'm not short!) and have the seat at the lowest height and not that far reclined back, and my hud is straight and sharp. It does sit right above the clearview screen and is a bit redundant, but the best thing it does show there are the blind spot warnings and the next step for navigation when using the built in nav. It seems to usually be in the line of sight with the bumper of the car in front of me if stopped at a light, just for reference.

I have my brightness up almost all the way and it isn't distracting. It does get dark with polarized sunglasses but that's expected, and a slight head tilt allows me to see everything. The only time I see the blue oval is if I bring my head uncomfortably low. The only time it seems distorted is if I bring my head uncomfortably up. I have not ever been distracted by the glare from the outline/frame, which is noticeable to me when I specifically look for it only because I know others have been bothered by it. Ive experienced the bad glare from the sun being at just the wrong angle only once and it wasn't that distracting to me as others have made it seem. I have also occasionally had the backlight seem too bright occasionally, but only slightly and briefly for example when entering a parking garage during the daytime before it can adjust, and it adjusts quickly.
Lucky you. I like my Seat in the highest possible position.
If I was the same height (5ft10in), but with longer legs and shorter torso, the HUD would work perfectly.
When using maps for navigation, I occasionally tilt my head forward and lower to view directions in HUD. For me, the HUD is the perfect place for directions and speed limit.
 
My Gravity Heads Up Display has an issues I’d like to get feedback on. First, I’ve struggle finding a comfortable position for the display position such that it’s not directly in my normal sight line. I wish it could be set either a couple clicks higher or lower. I adjusted my seat height to help but find that less satisfactory. Second, my display line is tilted to my left somewhat. It’s a bit aggravating to not have an adjustment to make it appear level. At my last service, the tech had no answer and committed to investigating solutions. And third, it has twice briefly gotten so bright it temporarily blinded me. It resolved on its own after a few seconds.. I’d like to know if other owners have had these and/or other issues.. I believe this capability could be significantly improved..
 
You're reporting HUD problems that other Gravity owners have also encountered. Unfortunately, Lucid hasn't yet done anything to address these complaints about the HUD, and there's not too much helpful advice available on the forum. There has been some news regarding Lucid engaging a 3rd party vendor to help them implement the promised HUD features, but not word on timing of any improvements being made available. My guess is that it's not going to be addressed by OTA update this quarter or next, but that's really only a guess. Many of us would love it if someone has the opportunity to ask Lucid leadership about this (Emad, for example), but I've heard no report of someone asking the question, much less any answer being given.
 
My Gravity Heads Up Display has an issues I’d like to get feedback on. First, I’ve struggle finding a comfortable position for the display position such that it’s not directly in my normal sight line. I wish it could be set either a couple clicks higher or lower. I adjusted my seat height to help but find that less satisfactory. Second, my display line is tilted to my left somewhat. It’s a bit aggravating to not have an adjustment to make it appear level. At my last service, the tech had no answer and committed to investigating solutions. And third, it has twice briefly gotten so bright it temporarily blinded me. It resolved on its own after a few seconds.. I’d like to know if other owners have had these and/or other issues.. I believe this capability could be significantly improved..
My HUD also appears to tilted to the left. I believe that’s caused by the curvature of the windshield as it wraps towards the A-pillar. Try parking your car in front of a level brick wall or garage door with horizontal seams/panels to check if the image is level to your sightline. I bet it’s actually level. Still, it would be nice to have the option in the software to rotate the image slightly compensate for any distortion.
 
My Gravity Heads Up Display has an issues I’d like to get feedback on. First, I’ve struggle finding a comfortable position for the display position such that it’s not directly in my normal sight line. I wish it could be set either a couple clicks higher or lower. I adjusted my seat height to help but find that less satisfactory. Second, my display line is tilted to my left somewhat. It’s a bit aggravating to not have an adjustment to make it appear level. At my last service, the tech had no answer and committed to investigating solutions. And third, it has twice briefly gotten so bright it temporarily blinded me. It resolved on its own after a few seconds.. I’d like to know if other owners have had these and/or other issues.. I believe this capability could be significantly improved..
Welcome to the club. Take a seat, sip on a martini and relax because Lucid doesn’t seem like they’re going to fix this hot mess of a HUD anytime soon…..

IMG_1589.webp
 
Ok did not know/understand that before. THanks for the explanation.

Ok.

Mhh so you do not miss it then. I would because I use it intensively with my audi etron.

I can only hope so. I would only go for the 2027er model anyway, since i do not need one right now.


But it really seems that the HUD is not properly developed etc. With Audi it works like a charm and I would not want to miss it ..
I agree it was WAY better in the Audi (we had a Q5 PHEV for a few years). But when I saw it on my second Gravity test drive I confirmed what I'd read here about ppl complaining about the frame reflection on the windshield (something I never really noticed in the Audi) and that sort of thing drives me nuts...with my sharp crisp vision I don't like spots on my sunglasses or on my windshield. Lots of posts on here about having the fufu ambient lighting strips in that tech package glitch and turn bright white while driving at night (dangerous!!) and how the display on the windshield was tilted or positioned too high or projected a bright life threatening rectangle right smack in the middle of the driver's view of cars ahead, I took a hard pass and said "no thanks!"

YMMV
 
If I really order a gravity I would very much consider that...and check that on the test drive in two weeks however as I experienced here while reading the forum I found that even that does not help because some have issue and some do not.. So if I would order HUD and have no issues while test driving (probably the test car is fixed in all areas to give good experience) I still might have the issue with the newly build gravity then..risky..
 
If I really order a gravity I would very much consider that...and check that on the test drive in two weeks however as I experienced here while reading the forum I found that even that does not help because some have issue and some do not.. So if I would order HUD and have no issues while test driving (probably the test car is fixed in all areas to give good experience) I still might have the issue with the newly build gravity then..risky..
Actually, I would think the opposite may be closer to reality: older production test drive vehicles (or they might even be pre-production vehicles?) would have less chance of having any "fixes" than a newly produced vehicle with whatever hardware upgrades and improved production methods they are now using at the factory
 
Actually, I would think the opposite may be closer to reality: older production test drive vehicles (or they might even be pre-production vehicles?) would have less chance of having any "fixes" than a newly produced vehicle with whatever hardware upgrades and improved production methods they are now using at the factory
Yeah I can sure hope so. But I meant it would not be great to experience issues with a car from the lucid shop :D
this would not be good marketing wise so I would expect to have them work day/night on it to have it as good as possible to show off and make sales.
The software version I have checked last time I have been in the shop. it was the latest 3.5.1
 
Back
Top