Gravity HUD Position and Clarity Questions

I am having PPF added to my car this week. The shop owner offered to apply matt PPF to the LCD displays. It turned out so good that I asked him to do the same to the HUD. I’ll be picking the car up later this week. Will let everyone know if it helps with the reflections.
 
You do realize the current iteration of the HUD is a temporary one and the AR features are coming later, right?
"Coming soon". We hope. Given that nobody has even seen a demo of an alpha test of the AR features, I give it a 50/50 that these are never delivered/cannot be produced by Lucid at all.

The AR features -- if they ever exist -- should not require a HW rev. (They might, which will be an expensive service campaign, but they shouldn't.) Any complaints about glare, blur, reflections, etc will not be resolved by the theoretical AR SW update. (That said, I don't have glare/blur complaints on mine.)
 
My HUD looked blurry until I realized I was looking at it through my reading lenses. Moving my eyes down to look made it blurry, shifting my head down a tiny bit solved the problem for me. Seating height/head position took care of the reflection which seems to me to be related to the sun's angle since, taking a corner makes it disappear.

I have witnessed most of the complaints that I've read about on this forum and have found them to be mainly due to my lack of knowledge of the specifics of the software, e.g., why does clicking on the left/right steering wheel buttons sometimes cause the cruise control car spacing to change? Why does my second from the left clear view display keep changing? Well, I figured it out and I don't recall seeing in the owner's manual that clicking the left/right buttons changes vehicle spacing while swiping across the button panel causes the displays to change. It works the same way on the right steering wheel buttons: clicking up/down changes stereo volume while swiping changes the display on the right. I know that clicking the left steering wheel buttons up/down changes cruise control speed. I wonder what/if swiping up/down does. There are many nuances in the operation of the software and after only two weeks of ownership, I'm sure I haven't found them all!
 
I am having PPF added to my car this week. The shop owner offered to apply matt PPF to the LCD displays. It turned out so good that I asked him to do the same to the HUD. I’ll be picking the car up later this week. Will let everyone know if it helps with the reflections.
So, heard back from the PPF owner. The tech attempted to use matt film on the HUD lens, but “it wasn’t allowing the reflective to work and show thru.” I’ll know more tomorrow when I pick the car up, but maybe this will save someone else the trouble of attempting it.
 
I have the same problem. I’m 6ft and positioned the seat and HUD display at their lowest and I need to crouch or lower my head a couple of inches to see it clearly otherwise it looks washed out and hard to see. .
I took it at the service and they reviewed and said there is no physical adjustment that can be made so seems a design issue given the curvature or the windshield . I asked to keep the issue open in case they find a solution down the line but seems it affects taller people or people who raise their seats.
Here are two pictures of how it looks. One when I’m crouched (ok)
IMG_6176.webp


and one in my head position (washed out)

IMG_6177.webp


I hope they find a way to fix this as it makes the HUD unusable.
 
I have the same problem. I’m 6ft and positioned the seat and HUD display at their lowest and I need to crouch or lower my head a couple of inches to see it clearly otherwise it looks washed out and hard to see. .
I took it at the service and they reviewed and said there is no physical adjustment that can be made so seems a design issue given the curvature or the windshield . I asked to keep the issue open in case they find a solution down the line but seems it affects taller people or people who raise their seats.
Here are two pictures of how it looks. One when I’m crouched (ok)

I hope they find a way to fix this as it makes the HUD unusable.

Same issue for us, and same non-resolution (but at least Lucid did look into it and declare it to spec)... so Lucid service was good, but a design issue they don't have a fix for.
I'm hoping someone can make a sheet-lens to place over the hud to redirect it higher for those who want that... it should be cheap to purchase in bulk. A $20 accessory in the store for those who want to sit higher would probably make everyone happy.
 
Brought my car in for service about 2 weeks ago and also asked them to take a look at the HUD issue. I was told the HUD module is fine, but needs recalibration that requires a separate appointment.
They picked the car up yesterday and promised to bring it back to me the same day. They didn't. The reason was that the calibration software wasn't working because I updated to 3.4.1.
Finally heard from my SC today, he said the HUD has been recalibrated, but requires replacement now. As a result, my car is stuck at the SC with no ETA currently.

Who does calibrate anything that needs replacement? Why 2 weeks ago they told me the module itself is fine? What's wrong with this company after all?
 
[…]
Finally heard from my SC today, he said the HUD has been recalibrated, but requires replacement now. As a result, my car is stuck at the SC with no ETA currently.

Who does calibrate anything that needs replacement? Why 2 weeks ago they told me the module itself is fine? What's wrong with this company after all?
They probably thought it was a calibration issue but during the calibration process, found a hardware problem. As much as we’d like the service techs to be able to wave a magic wand and immediately diagnose an issue, some problems are complex and potential causes need to be ruled out one by one.
 
But can they solve the blue blob? 🧐
 
Then they should improve their pre-delivery inspection process as my car has been at the Service Center for a month in total since I got it on November 17.
In my car they already had to replace a battery, steering wheel, front light bar, right cantrail, right belt trim and a charging port door. HUD is the next one to join this list.
Isn't it a little too much?
They probably thought it was a calibration issue but during the calibration process, found a hardware problem. As much as we’d like the service techs to be able to wave a magic wand and immediately diagnose an issue, some problems are complex and potential causes need to be ruled out one by one.
 
Then they should improve their pre-delivery inspection process as my car has been at the Service Center for a month in total since I got it on November 17.
In my car they already had to replace a battery, steering wheel, front light bar, right cantrail, right belt trim and a charging port door. HUD is the next one to join this list.
Isn't it a little too much?
Problems of an early adopter of products from a startup company. We are basically beta testers at this point. But we knew that when buying the car.
 
Then they should improve their pre-delivery inspection process as my car has been at the Service Center for a month in total since I got it on November 17.
In my car they already had to replace a battery, steering wheel, front light bar, right cantrail, right belt trim and a charging port door. HUD is the next one to join this list.
Isn't it a little too much?

Yes, it’s a lot, and I can understand the frustration. We all wish there were fewer issues. I have over a dozen items between my due bill and things I found in the last month. I’m dreading my service appointment, as I absolutely love driving the Gravity in spite of those issues, and am not looking forward to days/weeks without it.

I knew what I signed up for, though. First production runs are never smooth. The Gravity 2027 models will be much better out of the factory as they tweak the production based on our early adopter pain. I fully expected: Long waits at the service center as they still need to expand. Service centers being overloaded with all the 1st run problems. Software bugs galore (thankfully given a lot of focus by Lucid and mostly resolved with 3.4.1).

I seriously considered waiting for the 2027 model but pulled the trigger anyway. Fundamentally, the Gravity has great hardware and build quality, and I was confident that Lucid would eventually take care of any issues.

This is not uncommon for 1st generation vehicles. My 1st gen 2016 Model X went into service half a dozen times for various problems. Multiple times for the Falcon wing doors, suspension problems, charging system problems, etc.

My 2016 1st gen Volvo XC 90 hybrid, from a well-established car company, needed hybrid transmission replacement, battery replacement, and drive system software updates.

Early adopters always suffer growing pains, so for me, this is par for the course. All I can say is hang in there. It’s incredibly frustrating now, but once the issues are ironed out, you’ll enjoy the Gravity for all the reasons you bought it.
 
I have noticed that the position of the HUD on the windshield (high, low in between) is irrelevant to the clarity. What makes it bright and clear is my head angle. If I pivot my chin to my chest, at any HUD windshield position, the HUD gets brighter and clearer. Of course I don’t want to drive with my chin in my chest, so today I experimented by tilting the sear slightly forward (so it was still comfortable to sit in), and this made a huge difference. Not quite as good as pivoting my head all the way into my chest, but about 80% as good. The HUD is now usable, at least for me. (And I am tall, about 6’5”, if that makes a difference).
 
I have the same problem. I’m 6ft and positioned the seat and HUD display at their lowest and I need to crouch or lower my head a couple of inches to see it clearly otherwise it looks washed out and hard to see. .
I took it at the service and they reviewed and said there is no physical adjustment that can be made so seems a design issue given the curvature or the windshield . I asked to keep the issue open in case they find a solution down the line but seems it affects taller people or people who raise their seats.
Here are two pictures of how it looks. One when I’m crouched (ok)View attachment 36305

and one in my head position (washed out)

View attachment 36306

I hope they find a way to fix this as it makes the HUD unusable.
I’m seeing the exact same problem. I’m 6’2” with the seat all the way down and I see exactly what you are seeing. Feels like the HUD is aimed at my neck and it at my eyes.
 
Brought my car in for service about 2 weeks ago and also asked them to take a look at the HUD issue. I was told the HUD module is fine, but needs recalibration that requires a separate appointment.
They picked the car up yesterday and promised to bring it back to me the same day. They didn't. The reason was that the calibration software wasn't working because I updated to 3.4.1.
Finally heard from my SC today, he said the HUD has been recalibrated, but requires replacement now. As a result, my car is stuck at the SC with no ETA currently.

Who does calibrate anything that needs replacement? Why 2 weeks ago they told me the module itself is fine? What's wrong with this company after all?
I found the service in Scottsdale, AZ to be excellent. They loaned me an Air for the 3 days that both GGTs were in service. The original estimate was 5 days.

And, to address another issue in this thread, I'm also 6 ft tall, with the seat full down and my HUD works perfectly. Perhaps the difference is in torso length; I have long legs.
 
I found the service in Scottsdale, AZ to be excellent. They loaned me an Air for the 3 days that both GGTs were in service. The original estimate was 5 days.

And, to address another issue in this thread, I'm also 6 ft tall, with the seat full down and my HUD works perfectly. Perhaps the difference is in torso length; I have long legs.
I did some more playing with the HUD today and found that if I reclined the seat more, this lowered my eyes enough that the HUD was readable. Unfortunately, reclining this much with the seat all the way down is not how I like to be positioned when I'm driving.
 
After 5 months of ownership (but only 3 months of driving - out of country one month, car in service another month) I finally experienced HEAVY HUD glare. I am not talking about the dash frame, which I definitely do notice but my mind does good job of ignoring. Also not the blue blob, which I have seen on a couple occasions but only when leaning down low in seat to get something.

This morning, around 11 am on very bright sunny day with sun high and slightly behind me, I noticed heavy rectangular glare that was definitely coming from the glass screen of HUD. It would slowly move around (and occasionally disappear then come back) as the road curved slightly left and right. It eventually went away but when noticed, it was very annoying.
 
Back
Top