Gravity Delivery Discussion

When I ordered, I asked about the process and was told that it's not building exact configurations in the order they were placed. Apparently Lucid builds batches of a specific configuration and then tags people to those cars based on when they placed their order. So if I ordered after you but my configuration was in a batch that was planned to be built ahead of your configuration, I would get mine before you.
That’s just another way of saying Lucid doesn’t give 2 sh—ts about order holders. They are building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders. Someone did an analysis a week or so ago showing that there are 50,000 variable combinations of Gravity that could be built. Without some focus on what configurations are on the order list, it could take years before some of our vehicles enter production.
 
Anyone have a name to can call for delivery? My friends car is in but they are telling her to go to plainview to pick up from Connecticutnearly 3 hours of fighting through NYC. She thought white plains but they said no. She is thinking of canceling her order. This is really horrendous customer service and support. DM me if you know someone up the food chain at Lucid to try to make this a bit easier.
Yeah, there is no Service Center in White Plains, only a studio. They do deliveries from SCs only as far as I know.
I'm lucky to be on Long Island (for this reason only 🙂)
 
That’s just another way of saying Lucid doesn’t give 2 sh—ts about order holders. They are building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders. Someone did an analysis a week or so ago showing that there are 50,000 variable combinations of Gravity that could be built. Without some focus on what configurations are on the order list, it could take years before some of our vehicles enter production.
They’re obviously not “building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders”.

It may feel that way, and their communication is absolutely lacking, but they do have some intent and process as they ARE able to communicate progress and dates to folks - albeit not reliably. And they are fulfilling orders that have been made.

It’s insanely frustrating, but suggesting it’s all random and they don’t care is not accurate. Again, not defending the poor process and communication.
 
They’re obviously not “building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders”.

It may feel that way, and their communication is absolutely lacking, but they do have some intent and process as they ARE able to communicate progress and dates to folks - albeit not reliably. And they are fulfilling orders that have been made.

It’s insanely frustrating, but suggesting it’s all random and they don’t care is not accurate. Again, not defending the poor process and communication.

As much as I'd love to believe this, the evidence just doesn't support it. There are 180 unsold Gravity on the "available cars" site right now. Many have been sitting for weeks now because they're missing key features that seem to be popular or just have a really odd mix of features. According to Lucid (tweet from Nick Twork) these were just being built to fill in manufacturing batches with what parts were available but if they'd just combine the parts they used for a few of these cars here and there I'm 100% sure they would have been able to fulfill quite a few more orders. The number of them coming out and being sold this way just shows their manufacturing scheduling for ordered vehicles is a complete mess.

The little bit of communication to people holding orders seems excessively vague at this point as well.

I even saw my exact spec show up on the site twice but I wasn't willing to pay Lucid $2000 to have it moved from the East coast to California (not available now vehicles, one was available in 2 weeks and the other was 4 weeks).
 
As much as I'd love to believe this, the evidence just doesn't support it. There are 180 unsold Gravity on the "available cars" site right now. Many have been sitting for weeks now because they're missing key features that seem to be popular or just have a really odd mix of features. According to Lucid (tweet from Nick Twork) these were just being built to fill in manufacturing batches with what parts were available but if they'd just combine the parts they used for a few of these cars here and there I'm 100% sure they would have been able to fulfill quite a few more orders. The number of them coming out and being sold this way just shows their manufacturing scheduling for ordered vehicles is a complete mess.

The little bit of communication to people holding orders seems excessively vague at this point as well.

I even saw my exact spec show up on the site twice but I wasn't willing to pay Lucid $2000 to have it moved from the East coast to California (not available now vehicles, one was available in 2 weeks and the other was 4 weeks).
Absolutely agree. There is no excuse for this situation. The “Batch Processing” so many people use here to excuse Lucid does not explain this. I understand that it is not expeditious to produce cars in exact order of orders placed but it would only take some very minor tweaks to some of the cars being produced to meet a lot of these orders and then make sure that someone is actually taking the time to match produced Gravity to order holders before they ship them off to a random SC.

I think Lucid fired the guy in charge of the Gravity fob implementation and put him in charge of the order holder system.
 
I've noticed this too, but wasn't sure if it had to do with the ride conditions. It doesn't always seem tilted.... it's so minor I haven't even mentioned it, as I assume there's going to be some sort of major HUD service bulletin when the AR features are enabled and nothing works.
I thought this was just me, but yeah, mine looks like someone grabbed the rotate tool in powerpoint and pulled it clockwise.
 
That’s just another way of saying Lucid doesn’t give 2 sh—ts about order holders. They are building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders. Someone did an analysis a week or so ago showing that there are 50,000 variable combinations of Gravity that could be built. Without some focus on what configurations are on the order list, it could take years before some of our vehicles enter production.
Not true I got mine exactly as I ordered
 
Absolutely agree. There is no excuse for this situation. The “Batch Processing” so many people use here to excuse Lucid does not explain this. I understand that it is not expeditious to produce cars in exact order of orders placed but it would only take some very minor tweaks to some of the cars being produced to meet a lot of these orders and then make sure that someone is actually taking the time to match produced Gravity to order holders before they ship them off to a random SC.

I think Lucid fired the guy in charge of the Gravity fob implementation and put him in charge of the order holder system.
How do other car companies do it? Do they build each individual car one at a time to match each individual order in the order it was received and make sure everyone keeps their exact spot in line? While there is some apparent chaos in Lucid’s process, they are not out to screw reservation holders, but manufacturing efficiency and throughput is determined by a lot more than what order someone was in who ordered a car with a given spec.
 
Here’s an example. I REALLY wanted a thunder grey 2024 Volvo V60 Polestar wagon last year. Those cars are stupid hard to find. You literally cannot order one. You just have to cross your fingers and hope a dealer within a couple hundred miles gets one in and you’re able to snatch it up before someone else does. I kept finding white ones everywhere but my wife didn’t want a white one. Much like the Gravity DE they all have same feature set, all built in one factory in Sweden (not China or Austria), the only differences are color and some had different OEM tires but same wheel size. One dealer told me they couldn’t get the one I wanted for a year, so I decided to drive an hour into Massachusetts, saw a white one and black one and asked the dude to check if he could find ANY Thunder grey ones within 100 miles and low and behold they had one dropped off the truck there 1 day before and it wasn’t even prepped. I said I’d take it, they literally were still peeling plastic off of it everywhere but they got it ready for me by end of day.

So tell me again how Lucid is trying to screw customers and sucks cuz they don’t go in exact order or have a perfect handle on which cars with which features are leaving the factory at any given second based on customer order number, when a huge brand like Volvo doesn’t even know when and where a much simpler to build single feature set spec car like the V60 Polestar is going to be?
 
That’s just another way of saying Lucid doesn’t give 2 sh—ts about order holders. They are building cars in a total random fashion with zero regard for order holders. Someone did an analysis a week or so ago showing that there are 50,000 variable combinations of Gravity that could be built. Without some focus on what configurations are on the order list, it could take years before some of our vehicles enter production.
Non of the people that received their vehicles never said... I ordered mine and got exactly what I ordered. Just the fact you can custom order your version of the car is wonderful. Other vehicles in this day and age, you get what you can find normally. Is the process good, heck no, BUT, it is a construct that works for most/some car makers. How long have you been waiting for your order to be filled? That is the real question that needs to asked back to you. You can then look at what wait times were and set your rough estimation.
 
I am curious. Has anyone tried installing aftermarket ambient lighting? The Technology Package wasn’t available when I placed my order.
Also, I’ve noticed a strange issue: the ambient lighting strip along the top defaults to the Zen theme every time the vehicle wakes from sleep, even if a different theme was previously selected.
 
Last edited:
I am curious. Has anyone tried installing aftermarket ambient lighting? The Technology Package wasn’t available when I placed my order.
Also, I’ve noticed a strange issue: the ambient lighting strip along the top defaults to the Zen theme every time the vehicle wakes from sleep, even if a different theme was previously selected.
The ambient lighting resetting is a known bug. Clearly not at the top of Lucid’s list, nor should it be. But some folks don’t seem to have it.
 
The ambient lighting resetting is a known bug. Clearly not at the top of Lucid’s list, nor should it be. But some folks don’t seem to have it.
In my experience, this can be fixed by creating a new profile and seems to be the "user profile corruption" that also can cause Music to stop working entirely. (I don't recommend doing this just for the lighting, as you'll be fussing with settings for the next week.)
 
How do other car companies do it? Do they build each individual car one at a time to match each individual order in the order it was received and make sure everyone keeps their exact spot in line? While there is some apparent chaos in Lucid’s process, they are not out to screw reservation holders, but manufacturing efficiency and throughput is determined by a lot more than what order someone was in who ordered a car with a given spec.

When Tesla opened orders to people for new vehicles the orders were fulfilled before they built up stock for "public" purchase. As far as I'm aware the same is true of Rivian when they were more limited in production but I'm not sure about now. The Mustang Mach-e delivered to pre-order holders first, same with the VW ID.4 I believe as well. And from what I read the Polestar system automatically matched people to cars that were being built to deliver cars to people as they ordered them.

Lucid seems to lack many of the backend systems to match people to cars being built other than manually. I'm not saying they're specifically screwing reservation holders but their manufacturing process is obviously a mess and seems to put a higher priority on just building cars instead of building cars for people actively trying to buy them.
 
The windshield has a coating on it for tint and other “stuff” - folks on here know more than me. The car has all sorts of shielding for the electronics, etc. The only place on windshield where there’s no shielding is that little spot next to the cameras on the right. Folks have tried other spots and, if you look closely, you can see the difference in the glass in that one spot.

Windshield and roof will block all sorts of things, like my RFID parking tag for work - which I now have to wave outside my window to get into garage.
Can you post a pic with a circle around the spot. I intend to mount a radar detector and need it to work!
 
When Tesla opened orders to people for new vehicles the orders were fulfilled before they built up stock for "public" purchase. As far as I'm aware the same is true of Rivian when they were more limited in production but I'm not sure about now. The Mustang Mach-e delivered to pre-order holders first, same with the VW ID.4 I believe as well. And from what I read the Polestar system automatically matched people to cars that were being built to deliver cars to people as they ordered them.

Lucid seems to lack many of the backend systems to match people to cars being built other than manually. I'm not saying they're specifically screwing reservation holders but their manufacturing process is obviously a mess and seems to put a higher priority on just building cars instead of building cars for people actively trying to buy them.
Okay, but didn't the original model S have almost no options? I think there were 3 battery pack sizes, and some color choices, and that was it. Eliminating all the combinations of options makes it much easier to build-to-order. You dont even really have to custom build, because the variations are so few that you just build and then worry about matching to the order list.
 
Can you post a pic with a circle around the spot. I intend to mount a radar detector and need it to work!
IMG_5583.webp

Not sure about @Ron_Burgundy but this is where I put mine, use a Uniden RJ11 to USBC adapter and some 3M velcro adhesive strips. Easy to reach and out of the way. There’s no blocking coating at this location like there is on the windshield, with the only opening being at the 3 o clock position of the mirror housing.
 
View attachment 33820
Not sure about @Ron_Burgundy but this is where I put mine, use a Uniden RJ11 to USBC adapter and some 3M velcro adhesive strips. Easy to reach and out of the way. There’s no blocking coating at this location like there is on the windshield, with the only opening being at the 3 o clock position of the mirror housing.
I don’t use a radar detector, so I just have my ezpass in that spot. I don’t recall who, but someone did post a picture with the transponder and a detector “Tetrised” into that spot on windshield.
 
Okay, but didn't the original model S have almost no options? I think there were 3 battery pack sizes, and some color choices, and that was it. Eliminating all the combinations of options makes it much easier to build-to-order. You dont even really have to custom build, because the variations are so few that you just build and then worry about matching to the order list.

Yes, limited options on Tesla. Doesn't negate the other manufacturers that had multiple options though and managed to deliver to pre order buyers before building up inventory. Lucid chose to offer the Gravity with as many options as they did (too many, some of them should just be standard) and chose to offer build to order and is now choosing to build a bunch of cars that aren't even selling before fulfilling customer orders.
 
My HUD is not leveled either. I've asked the Service Center team and was told that there is nothing they can do at this point. I need to give the Service Center at San Jose a round of applause as they are quick to respond and address several issues for me, but this one we have to wait.
Mine is also not level. It’s really annoying. In 3d projections to get the proper depth you need to feed slight offset images to each eye, but being a tilted image, you need to tilt your head. This would be somewhat fine if the reflective surface was flat and perfectly vertical. The windshield is not only non-vertical, but also curved. This causes multiple vergence (eye rotation to align gaze on the same 3D point in space) issues. Also bumps in road cause the display image to jiggle - maybe they have not tightened it down properly or have soft bushings.

[Maybe this should be its own thread]
 
Back
Top