Gravity Bugs / Issues

I personally would prefer Lucid prioritize getting more good cars on the road over advertising. Eventually, building more recognition will be necessary, but I'd rather a company with limited resources a) get cars on the road to build brand awareness b) making sure those cars work amazingly well so that they don't poison the brand and overwhelm the limited service center base and c) build out the service center base before they overwhelm it with new demand.
 
Wow, yet another RDU malfunction reported on this forum. And, of course the one in the car loaned to Tom Moloughney for his recent "State of Charge" range test. Interestingly, Moloughney did not see the speed limitation, as he was driving at 70mph. His symptoms were reduced range and the inability to charge at a Tesla Supercharger.

I think the nominal cap is 50mph if the speed limit kicks in. When our RDU malfunctioned, the speedo was showing a maximum indicated speed of 52mph. The RDU had to be replaced. Other failures reported on the forum have seen similar speed caps.
Up until my RDU was replaced, I'd never experienced a speed cap. I did see the Turtle of Death (ToD) appear on the dash once for a split second, but it never reappeared, and, subsequently, never had an impact on performance. That was about a week before I took the car into service (two weeks after that failed Supercharger session), and upon arrival at service, the engineering team had already received telemetry data indicating trouble with the RDU, so out of an abundance of caution, they chose to replace it altogether.
 
I personally would prefer Lucid prioritize getting more good cars on the road over advertising. Eventually, building more recognition will be necessary, but I'd rather a company with limited resources a) get cars on the road to build brand awareness b) making sure those cars work amazingly well so that they don't poison the brand and overwhelm the limited service center base and c) build out the service center base before they overwhelm it with new demand.
I couldn't agree with your comment more. The car is awesome when it works but the real issues and the fear of another issue arising prevents me from truly enjoying the product. I was an early adopter of both Tesla and Rivian vehicles and I crowed about those cars with anyone who would listen....probably sold more than a few to friends and neighbors in the process. That being said when people see my Gravity and are curious I have a hard time explaining that it's not quite ready for prime time and that if they are truly interested they should wait and read these forums. Nothing speaks louder for a product than the product itself.
 
Up until my RDU was replaced, I'd never experienced a speed cap. I did see the Turtle of Death (ToD) appear on the dash once for a split second, but it never reappeared, and, subsequently, never had an impact on performance. That was about a week before I took the car into service (two weeks after that failed Supercharger session), and upon arrival at service, the engineering team had already received telemetry data indicating trouble with the RDU, so out of an abundance of caution, they chose to replace it altogether.
Thanks, really helpful. What were the symptoms that indicated an RDU failure? Just inability to charge at Tesla super charger?
 
By the time we get replacement fobs, I am hoping PaaK will be out and my new fob will go right in a drawer.
I don’t think PaaK is coming any time soon. With all the key issues you’d think if Lucid had an ETA on PaaK they’d say when it’s being released to try calm down the frustration. Silence on it tells me it’s probably months away.
 
You all laugh, but my fob is now in a ziploc bag in my pocket. Argh.
A piece of tape over the button will do the same job and look a lot less stupid.
 
A piece of tape over the button will do the same job and look a lot less stupid.
The fact we’re talking about ziplock bags and tape on keys to protect it, keep it together is stupid in itself 😂
 
I don’t think PaaK is coming any time soon. With all the key issues you’d think if Lucid had an ETA on PaaK they’d say when it’s being released to try calm down the frustration. Silence on it tells me it’s probably months away.
Nick Twork, when talking about this latest software update, said in one of his comments that they expect to release late this year or early next year with this feature.
 
Nick Twork, when talking about this latest software update, said in one of his comments that they expect to release late this year or early next year with this feature.
Did he say PaaK specifically? His post last week said “other accessibility options” or something like that.

Look, it’s a freaking fob. It’s got to work. It works on $20,000 cars. Mine gave key not detected again this morning. Wouldn’t go into gear, etc. Again, I don’t have the fob update, but I also can’t get the fob update because the SC didn’t know it existed. So now I have to wait for them to schedule me. I mean, it is total buffoonery at this point. You just have to laugh. Why issue the update for the fob if we can’t get it?

Sorry, rant over. It’s embarrassing with family, kids and friends at this point.
 
Did he say PaaK specifically? His post last week said “other accessibility options” or something like that.

Look, it’s a freaking fob. It’s got to work. It works on $20,000 cars. Mine gave key not detected again this morning. Wouldn’t go into gear, etc. Again, I don’t have the fob update, but I also can’t get the fob update because the SC didn’t know it existed. So now I have to wait for them to schedule me. I mean, it is total buffoonery at this point. You just have to laugh. Why issue the update for the fob if we can’t get it?

Sorry, rant over. It’s embarrassing with family, kids and friends at this point.
This is a prime example of Lucid pushing people’s patience to the limit. Even early adopters who tend to have a higher threshold for this sort of stuff.
 
Thanks, really helpful. What were the symptoms that indicated an RDU failure? Just inability to charge at Tesla super charger?

That's just it. I didn't really have any (or was ignorant to them). I've backed into one scenario in hindsight, that I think should have been a tell that something was beginning to fail. I reported that earlier in the thread here:


The way I found out the RDU needed replacing was a surprise to me. I'd made an appointment at my service center to take care of several issues on my delivery punchlist (Home Link activation, middle row seat mechanical issues, etc.) and the service advisor told me Lucid engineering were recommending an RDU replacement. One of two things must have been the trigger for engineering -- either the failed charging session, or the split-second appearance of the orange Turtle of Death. Both are RDU related.

Here's my post where I included a screenshot of the work order showing a summary of the work required for the RDU replacement:


All in, it was fine. They gave me a nice loaner (Lucid Air Pure), so I wasn't really all that put out. The tough part was just being without my Gravity for the three weeks it took them to perform the service.
 
Did he say PaaK specifically? His post last week said “other accessibility options” or something like that.

Look, it’s a freaking fob. It’s got to work. It works on $20,000 cars. Mine gave key not detected again this morning. Wouldn’t go into gear, etc. Again, I don’t have the fob update, but I also can’t get the fob update because the SC didn’t know it existed. So now I have to wait for them to schedule me. I mean, it is total buffoonery at this point. You just have to laugh. Why issue the update for the fob if we can’t get it?

Sorry, rant over. It’s embarrassing with family, kids and friends at this point.
Totally. Why issue the update for the fob -- and specifically say "No appointment necessary" for the update. It's as if messaging got ahead of reality (ensuring the service centers had access to software and procedures). I've been calling my local SC to let them know I'd like my fobs updated (Millbrae, CA), as a Lucid employee in the 3.3.5 thread said we should call ahead, but I keep rolling to voicemail. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I might swing by anyway and hope for the best.
 
Did he say PaaK specifically? His post last week said “other accessibility options” or something like that.

Look, it’s a freaking fob. It’s got to work. It works on $20,000 cars. Mine gave key not detected again this morning. Wouldn’t go into gear, etc. Again, I don’t have the fob update, but I also can’t get the fob update because the SC didn’t know it existed. So now I have to wait for them to schedule me. I mean, it is total buffoonery at this point. You just have to laugh. Why issue the update for the fob if we can’t get it?

Sorry, rant over. It’s embarrassing with family, kids and friends at this point.
IMG_0594.webp
 
This just leads me to believe the software team is seriously understaffed. ☹️
I remember someone here mentioning they work from the top floor of a Service Center in CA
 
I remember someone here mentioning they work from the top floor of a Service Center in CA
They have a few software teams that seem to be in different locations if you look at their open jobs.
 
This just leads me to believe the software team is seriously understaffed. ☹️
Rawlinson acknowledged a year ago that Lucid hadn't put enough attention into building a strong software team. Unfortunately, fixing that is a slow process. It often takes months to hire engineers, and yet more time for them to ramp up and learn the software stack they've been hired to work on. It's impossible to know from the outside what they've done in the past year to build up the team, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it took a year to really make a noticeable difference, and we might only just now start seeing better momentum from them.
 
When you had the RDU malfunction, was it sporadic? I called the KoP Service Center this morning, and the person who answered the phone seemed totally nonplussed by what happened on Sunday afternoon. She said it was very likely a software glitch (as evidenced by my final drive of the day on Sunday, roughly 20 miles at highway speeds) because a hardware failure would be much more persistent. But she invited me to call back if it happens again.

Didn’t someone in this forum have a sporadic drive system error due to the RDU overheating? That’s what I’m worried about here.
Turtle came back after about 40 mins of surface-road driving. KoP wrote it up as an RDU failure and is sending a truck out to pick the car up from my house tomorrow morning. They don’t have loaner 7-seaters, so contacted the local Enterprise Rental and are covering the cost of a 7-seater rental car. I’m quite bummed because the first 3 weeks went so well, I really thought I had dodged a bullet with delivery issues. But the service folks at KoP were super professional - everything was scheduled within a matter of minutes. Fingers crossed that Lucie comes back in 2 - 3 weeks, even better than new - and with upgraded key fob hardware!!! :-)
 
Back
Top