Grass Is Always Greener...

Well, thanks for tossing out my low cost plan of using the Lucid provided EVSE plugged into a 14-50. Doesn't look like the Lucid EVSE can be hardwired. Looking at Tom Moloughney's website along with others, the Grizzl-e is highly rated and can be hardwired. Is it common thought here that Lucid will implement timed charging at some point in the car? Since I don't plan on charging much at home initially, I'm staying on my tiered electric plan rather than switch to TOU until I see what my charging habits are. Right now, I'm planning on getting the "dumb" grizzl-e with the hope that if I migrate to TOU, Lucid will have implemented charging based on time by then. Is that reasonable?

The smart grizzl-e would be my 2nd choice but it relies on open source apps being developed and only 1 app is approved so far. 3rd is a toss up between Chargepoint, Wallbox, and Juicebox. Opinions are welcome.
My Wallbox has worked well. It also allows communication through either Wifi or Bluetooth.

Ah, right. Lucid's wall-mounted EVSE is intended to be hardwired. Their mobile cable EVSE is intended to be plugged into a 14-50 outlet. Check the circuit breaker on your 14-50 outlet - if it doesn't say "GFCI" then you will be good to go with the mobile cable solution. Not all localities have adopted the 2020 NEC yet, so not all require GFCI on 14-50 outlets. But if you do decide you want to charge at home, it's hard to beat a proper hardwired installation of a wall-mounted EVSE. Using a mobile cable EVSE every day can be cumbersome unless you arrange for cable hanging and a plug holster.
I agree with you, but fwiw the Lucid cable *does* came with a wall-mounted plug holster and holder.

Back