Google Launches New EV Route Planner

msaunders9430

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
May 16, 2024
Messages
1,910
Reaction score
2,627
Cars
'26 Gravity GT

Edit: I highly recommend playback speed increase for this video. The guy just wanders around the topic.
 
Last edited:
I has a sad for ABRP
take years to develop and perfect their EV routing and have Google swoop in and use AI and likely get more users in less than 6 months
 


Screenshot 2026-03-31 at 8.25.16 AM.webp
 
Does not actually read the state of charge from the vehicle yet per what I've read, it's just estimating. ABRP with the paid subscription has it beat for now.
 
Yes that is a problem, I wonder if asking for some average mi/kwhr wouldn't be better, that being said not sure how many % of accuracy is actually needed these days with route planning on normal conditions, there is usually enough chargers around and Google probably doesn't know if they are available.
 
Does not actually read the state of charge from the vehicle yet per what I've read, it's just estimating. ABRP with the paid subscription has it beat for now.
Yes, it's annoying that Lucid didn't choose to implement the fully-integrated version of AA that would pass SOC% through. Yet another compromise from the "Compromise Nothing" brand. 🤪

But at least in the Gravity, the range is so long that we're usually wanting to stop and stretch our legs before range runs out anyway. That's why I got the 450 EPA trim (even though it's really closer to 350 at highway speeds). Super range mitigates DCFC challenges.
 
I don't understand this...I don't have it on my lucid, but my lightning already does this with google maps? it reads the battery state of charge, gives me charging stations, etc...is this just google rolling it out to everyone?
 
I don't understand this...I don't have it on my lucid, but my lightning already does this with google maps? it reads the battery state of charge, gives me charging stations, etc...is this just google rolling it out to everyone?
We've had highly capable Google Maps EV routing natively in our Volvo for years as well.
This is providing some EV routing capability to Android Auto users, who had nothing before.
 
I don't understand this...I don't have it on my lucid, but my lightning already does this with google maps? it reads the battery state of charge, gives me charging stations, etc...is this just google rolling it out to everyone?
Ford and a few others chose to provide the fully integrated AA version a few years ago when Google made it available. But some automakers choose not to, like Lucid and Porsche (my 2 vehicles). I loved it in my Mach-E (that the Gravity replaced).

It takes a software change in the car to pass through the SOC%. Why they haven't done it is anyone's guess, but some speculate that they feel it usurps the value of their own nav systems that they want to push instead (and maybe even make subscription revenue from in the future). That's doesn't make a ton of sense to me though because if that were the reason, why offer AA at all?
 
...there is usually enough chargers around and Google probably doesn't know if they are available.
Google does know how many charging stalls are available for several providers, including Tesla:
1774967292901.webp
 
Ford and a few others chose to provide the fully integrated AA version a few years ago when Google made it available. But some automakers choose not to, like Lucid and Porsche (my 2 vehicles). I loved it in my Mach-E (that the Gravity replaced).
Porsche is moving to native Google Maps in their new EVs (Macan and Cayenne), dumping HERE maps.
 
Porsche is moving to native Google Maps in their new EVs (Macan and Cayenne), dumping HERE maps.
Right move!

Here is the reality, we carry our phone around all day. The last thing we need is different interfaces in our cars. When I visited Lucid at Freemont, I ask them this specific question. There is little value in Lucid spending $/manpower on redoing navigation.
 
Porsche is moving to native Google Maps in their new EVs (Macan and Cayenne), dumping HERE maps.
Unfortunately that does me no good with a 2025 Macan EV. (In our late 60's, that car and the Gravity will have likely been be our last vehicle purchases).
 
Ford and a few others chose to provide the fully integrated AA version a few years ago when Google made it available. But some automakers choose not to, like Lucid and Porsche (my 2 vehicles). I loved it in my Mach-E (that the Gravity replaced).

It takes a software change in the car to pass through the SOC%. Why they haven't done it is anyone's guess, but some speculate that they feel it usurps the value of their own nav systems that they want to push instead (and maybe even make subscription revenue from in the future). That's doesn't make a ton of sense to me though because if that were the reason, why offer AA at all?
the only thing that didn't make my taycan perfect (i mean, beyond the tiny backseat and storage vs the air hehe) is the software ran flawlessly, but limited. Hopefully this will help them as well.
 


View attachment 37898
This feature has been there quite a long time, so that it could also suggest more EV-efficient routes, as they aren’t always the same as Gas car routes.

Unfortunately, it appears you can only have one car set up at a time, which is lame.
 
Yes, it's annoying that Lucid didn't choose to implement the fully-integrated version of AA that would pass SOC% through. Yet another compromise from the "Compromise Nothing" brand. 🤪
There’s a whole thread on this, and it is far from just Lucid that hasn’t implemented it.

There are plenty of plausible reasons beyond “we didn’t get around to it”
 
Why they haven't done it is anyone's guess, but some speculate that they feel it usurps the value of their own nav systems that they want to push instead (and maybe even make subscription revenue from in the future). That's doesn't make a ton of sense to me though because if that were the reason, why offer AA at all?
It’s not about pushing their own nav systems but about keeping the data to themselves, so that Google and Apple cannot monetize it; it is certainly not out of a hope of “protecting the consumer” but that data is impossible to reign back in once you’ve delivered it, so I can understand the plausible hesitation.

There is a whole thread on this, please keep the discussion about this aspect there: https://lucidowners.com/threads/thi...-go-“all-in”-with-carplay-android-auto.15267/
 
...Unfortunately, it appears you can only have one car set up at a time, which is lame.
We can choose from a drop-down list of natively "Connected Vehicles" (currently only our Volvo XC40) and "Other", which takes me to that lame car chooser, where I click on the Gravity.
 
Back
Top