General Observations

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
Hello All,
I am going to send a series of emails to Lucid Customer Care. I am posting here also. For owners that agree perhaps you can also send comments to customer care. Also, I am happy to echo any request that other suggest that I agree with. I am a Lucid Fan, but not a Fan Boy. This is a $185,000 car out the door. My expectations are high. to Lucid:
Lucid team,

I have been using the Air as a daily driver since 12/10 with 867 miles so far. I am going to send separate emails for areas of concern by catagory. The vast majority are software related.

The drive train, suspension, handling, and steering. Are all excellent. Fit, finish, paint are also excellent.

The one pedal driving implementation is also quite good.

The speedometer with the regen/power is clean, informative, the fonts are nice. It’s very well done.

Response from the customer care team has been excellent. Thank you.

I have owned an Alpina B7 and a 911 Turbo S. These are very good benchmarks.

The Air easily out accelerates the 911, the 911 at over a ton lighter has a distinct advantage in braking.

I do feel that for the weight of the car, the brakes are good, but probably the weakest link of the mechanical attributes.

The stalk for the turn signal is too far from the steering wheel.

Please have some one with a BMW or a Honda go out and take measurements then compare them to the Air.

The Air depending on hand size will require rotating your hand around the wheel (a little to a lot) to operate, while you will not have to do this on the BMW or Honda or GM, or Porsche or well you get the point.

The door release to exit is plastic and has a plastic on plastic feel when you open the door. This is an operation every owner will do 1000’s of times. The Air feels cheap and the plastic on plastic operation does not feel smooth. This part should have been metal/ceramic with more attention to how it feels.

Opening the car to enter the handle also does not have a solid quality feel but is better than the exit.

The remote.

Someone wanted to be different just to be different. They should have learned from the Apple TV remote. Don’t be cute with the remote.

I parked valet.

Forget the Valet key.

1. They would not know to hold to ceiling so they could shift to D. This can be fixed by displaying instructions on the screen every time the Valet card is used for entry.

2. The Valet card needs a nice hole punch so it can be tagged for identification and hung on the Valet key board. Another easy fix.(photo below)

Back to the remote.

The Valet could not figure it out, then asked how does it open the trunk. It doesn’t. Everyone not driving an Air take out your remote. I think you’ll find BMW, Mercedes, Honda, GM, they all will be almost the same. (photo below) All lined up together with the Air remote it will be clear there is one that is different and not in a good way. It’s not different better, it is just worse. Looks and feels like a $10 powerpoint clicker from Amazon except with fewer buttons, it is not intuitive, and can’t open the trunk or sound an Alarm. It’s an odd shape for your pocket with other keys and literally is hanging by a thread. Also, doesn’t offer a physical key that provides at least access to the vehicle as shelter if electronics fail.

Once the bugs are worked out of the Mobile key, perhaps the remote is not significant. For those who stick with the remote you have 3 significant touch points that do not have a quality feel and poorly represent the rest of the car.

I wish you had gone with traditional physical controls for mirrors / seat heater/cooler.

Also for homelink. Homelink buttons are one more thing that is buried a screen deep and requires 2 panel touches to operate when they don't present when you need them.

Next email will detail Mobile Key / Locking and Unlocking the Vehicle (Critical) / iOS App.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1218 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1218 (1).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1232 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1232 (1).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 287
Fair points on the key fob, I'll be curious what my opinion of it is when I get my hands on it. I will note though, that no manufacturer that I kmow of that does the rfid credit card style keys have a hole punch on them. I'm not sure if there is a reason for that or not.

The Valet could not figure it out, then asked how does it open the trunk. It doesn’t. Everyone not driving an Air take out your remote. I think you’ll find BMW, Mercedes, Honda, GM, they all will be almost the same. (photo below) All lined up together with the Air remote it will be clear there is one that is different and not in a good way. It’s not different better, it is just worse. Looks and feels like a $10 powerpoint clicker from Amazon except with fewer buttons, it is not intuitive, and can’t open the trunk or sound an Alarm. It’s an odd shape for your pocket with other keys and literally is hanging by a thread. Also, doesn’t offer a physical key that provides at least access to the vehicle as shelter if electronics fail.

Just for what it’s worth: press and hold will open the frunk. The trunk will unlock but not open from the remote.

Also, press four times will trigger an alarm.

Got both of those from the manual: https://publications.infotainment.p...tml?document_type=OWNERS_MANUAL&version=0.0.1

If they copied any of the other pictured remotes, no manual necessary. Anything happen if I tap something out in Morris code? --- .--. . -. / ... . ... .- -- .

If they copied any of the other pictured remotes, no manual necessary. Anything happen if I tap something out in Morris code? --- .--. . -. / ... . ... .- -- .

I’m not saying your points are invalid! (though I personally prefer fewer buttons with gestures I can learn, but I’m a weirdo who actually likes the Apple TV remote)

I was simply explaining how to do two of the things you said it couldn’t do. :)

I’m not saying your points are invalid! (though I personally prefer fewer buttons with gestures I can learn, but I’m a weirdo who actually likes the Apple TV remote)

I was simply explaining how to do two of the things you said it couldn’t do. :)

And cute, re: Morse code. I still remember it from my ham radio days :p

I'm just funning with you also. The morse code is "open sesame" I just downloaded the pdf version of the manual today, but haven't spent any time with it yet. Thanks for the info.

I'm just funning with you also. The morse code is "open sesame" I just downloaded the pdf version of the manual today, but haven't spent any time with it yet. Thanks for the info.

Haha I can still read Morse. I don’t know whether to be proud of that or not.

Fair points on the key fob, I'll be curious what my opinion of it is when I get my hands on it. I will note though, that no manufacturer that I kmow of that does the rfid credit card style keys have a hole punch on them. I'm not sure if there is a reason for that or not.
Those cards have a very tiny Si chip and an antenna loop in them. They can easily be punched as long as you do not punch either of those components.

Those cards have a very tiny Si chip and an antenna loop in them. They can easily be punched as long as you do not punch either of those components.
I'm not saying it's not possible, just that for whatever reason none of the manufacturers do it by default.

It's good to know though, and something we may do.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just that for whatever reason none of the manufacturers do it by default.

It's good to know though, and something we may do.
If you hold the white card up to a light, you can actually see the components. I am not sure if you can see them with the black Lucid card. It would be better if Lucid service centers did this or the cards were punched from the beginning. I would not suggest punching it yourself.

Back