Future Software Features

24jlucid

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Any chatter as to whether Lucid will offer a web browser function on the console in the future? I wish there was a roadmap of future features owners could anticipate receiving listed on the Lucid website.

Lucid still has a lot of work to do on the base UI and functions, so I expect the "fun" features and apps wont be seen until the end of the year, maybe 2024.

The Lucid does run on Android Auto, so the framework is there on the technical side.

I'd just really like YouTube and Netflix to pass time while charging, but a browser seems nice too. I'm curious what kind of SoC the Lucid is using (aka cpu and gpu) and if it would even be capable of playing back HD video or able to handle html5 code on many websites.

Moving around in the navigation map is very sluggish, but that could either be a hardware limitation or coding.

Lucid still has a lot of work to do on the base UI and functions, so I expect the "fun" features and apps wont be seen until the end of the year, maybe 2024.

The Lucid does run on Android Auto, so the framework is there on the technical side.

I'd just really like YouTube and Netflix to pass time while charging, but a browser seems nice too. I'm curious what kind of SoC the Lucid is using (aka cpu and gpu) and if it would even be capable of playing back HD video or able to handle html5 code on many websites.

Moving around in the navigation map is very sluggish, but that could either be a hardware limitation or coding.
Be berry berry careful, suggesting YouTube and Netflix around here might get you banned. Very controversial topic. 😂 psst, I’m with you on that. Shhhh

Be berry berry careful, suggesting YouTube and Netflix around here might get you banned. Very controversial topic. 😂 psst, I’m with you on that. Shhhh
Huh?

No idea what you’re talking about. Those would be great features eventually, they just aren’t top of the list.

I'll be a contrarian and say I DON'T want YouTube, Netflix, or a web browser in the car. They have enough to deal with getting the rest of the software working properly as well as the testing and maintenance burden. There are only so many good engineers. Plus, browsers can be memory hogs - websites will only get more complex during the useful life of the car, and it won't be long before the browser is a really crappy experience. (Even Elon doesn't like the Tesla web browser.)

I say just bring an iPad along if you want a larger screen to play with while charging.

I'll be a contrarian and say I DON'T want YouTube, Netflix, or a web browser in the car. They have enough to deal with getting the rest of the software working properly as well as the testing and maintenance burden. There are only so many good engineers. Plus, browsers can be memory hogs - websites will only get more complex during the useful life of the car, and it won't be long before the browser is a really crappy experience. (Even Elon doesn't like the Tesla web browser.)

I say just bring an iPad along if you want a larger screen to play with while charging.
I agree with you fully, but I get why people want these things. If Lucid were to add any of this, I would not be mad. I just think they have much better things to do.

Even in my Tesla, where entertainment features make more sense due to the horizontal screen, the browser experience was so terrible I only ended up using it once or twice for emergencies. It's like a Linux browser from the early 2000s. It's no Chrome or Safari, by any means. Sites load slow. A lot of sites don't work (because no one is testing their web sites in a car). And so on.

YouTube was so hard to log into I didn't bother for the first few months. And then again, the connection in the car is not fast enough to stream anywhere near as fast as I can get from my phone, which I'm always carrying with me, anyway. And the app was lackluster, to say the least.

The Netflix app was even worse than their TV apps, which aren't great to begin with. Again, probably because it's low priority for the team at Netflix.

To me, if you're going to add a feature, do it right, or don't do it. Tesla has a ton of "features" that look good on a spreadsheet but fall flat in practice. I'm much happier waiting for Lucid to build great apps, not just apps for the sake of apps.

Any chatter as to whether Lucid will offer a web browser function on the console in the future? I wish there was a roadmap of future features owners could anticipate receiving listed on the Lucid website.
Additional video sources was in the mega poll and only had 17% of users voting for it. A browser would be slow compared to newer phones considering that the connectivity of the car is LTE, not 5G or better. Still, I am all for options and hope that it does wind up in the software someday.

I have a cup holder tablet mount and enough 5G data to use video as I please with my phone as a hotspot. So, Youtube and Netflix on a portrait screen is not as nice as the landscape on my 4k tablet. I will any day choose deep integration of Google maps and routing with Lucid Nav with the ability to send route from IOS or Android to Lucid Nav.

That said, we need 100% bug free existing features first before adding a single new feature.

Something I’ve been wanting; more steering wheel controls to jump audio sources and would be great to not have to reach for the screen every time a text came in, it also seems unnecessary for it to switch to the phone screen when it’s reading a text….

Back