FSD Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
Has anyone noticed the GMC Denali TV ad showing the driver taking his hands off the wheel and then playing "patty cake" and singing with the passengers. They even show the car switching lanes, passing a car and returning to original lane. Unlike my Tesla, no phantom braking or FSD kick out (for time hands off the wheel) was noticed during the maneuver, and I do not believe the song was a Top Ten.
Here's hoping the DreamDrive Pro OTA is substantial.

Has anyone noticed the GMC Denali TV ad showing the driver taking his hands off the wheel and then playing "patty cake" and singing with the passengers. They even show the car switching lanes, passing a car and returning to original lane. Unlike my Tesla, no phantom braking or FSD kick out (for time hands off the wheel) was noticed during the maneuver, and I do not believe the song was a Top Ten.

This happened on the 15 freeway last night. Didn't even see brake mark, must have been fullspeed

Ne1RRHM.jpg

This happened on the 15 freeway last night. Didn't even see brake mark, must have been fullspeed

Ne1RRHM.jpg
Oh Man!!! I hope they ducked before they smashed into the back of the semi ... that crash doesn't look survivable. Always gotta pay attention when driving (even when you think that the car is doing the driving for you!)

This happened in a rest area parking lot (huh?) in Florida last June. Semi was parked. No info in the press about whether FSD or Autopilot was engaged, but a lawsuit has already been filed against Tesla, indicating perhaps that someone thinks it was . . . or is suing to get discovery in order to find out. Both elderly occupants killed.

It's interesting that both cars hit the semis dead center, with no apparent attempt to swerve before impact. No brake skid marks, either, in both photos. (Antilock brakes prevent skidding, but I believe most systems are programmed to lock up for a skid when impact is imminent, as that yields the shortest stopping distance even though directional steering is lost.)

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 3.47.30 PM.png

Last edited:
This happened in a rest area parking lot (huh?) in Florida last June. Semi was parked. No info in the press about whether FSD or Autopilot was engaged, but a lawsuit has already been filed against Tesla, indicating perhaps that someone thinks it was . . . or is suing to get discovery in order to find out. Both elderly occupants killed.

It's interesting that both cars hit the semis dead center, with no apparent attempt to swerve before impact. No brake skid marks, either, in both photos. (Antilock brakes prevent skidding, but I believe most systems are programmed to lock up for a skid when impact is imminent, as that yields the shortest stopping distance even though directional steering is lost.)

View attachment 8839
Why would someone engage FSD in a parking lot? Could this be a sudden acceleration or pressing the wrong pedal? One of my coworker rear ended me in the parking lot because she slammed on the gas instead of break. Unfortunately mistakes happen.

Why would someone engage FSD in a parking lot? Could this be a sudden acceleration or pressing the wrong pedal? One of my coworker rear ended me in the parking lot because she slammed on the gas instead of break. Unfortunately mistakes happen.

I haven't found anything with more detail about the accident, so I'm only musing. It surely could be pressing the wrong pedal. However, freeway rest stops often have long, gently-curving approaches from the highway on which people maintain quite a bit of speed nearing the parking lot. I could see someone entering the ext ramp on Autopilot or FSD and getting confused about how and when the auto disengages in such a situation and failing to take control of the car when they should.

I saw that commercial and it caused me to Google GMC Super Cruise, which turns out has Lidar. It made me hope that Lucid starts releasing more features soon, just to catch up, let alone innovate. It appears that Super Cruise already has some version of lane change assist.

I saw that commercial and it caused me to Google GMC Super Cruise, which turns out has Lidar. It made me hope that Lucid starts releasing more features soon, just to catch up, let alone innovate. It appears that Super Cruise already has some version of lane change assist.
The head of ADAS at Lucid is also the guy who led the GM Super Cruise program.

The head of ADAS at Lucid is also the guy who led the GM Super Cruise program.
Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully we get Lane keep assist soon.

Ne1RRHM.jpg
Unfortunately, looks like the driver was killed. This was on a surface street and not on the 15 fwy …also was a suicide. How sad

…also was a suicide. How sad

Committing suicide in such a way puts other people at risk from unintended consequences. Who knows what the truck might have been hauling? Who knows that flying debris might not cause other cars to crash or hit pedestrians? Sad, yes. But also reprehensible.

Committing suicide in such a way puts other people at risk from unintended consequences. Who knows what the truck might have been hauling? Who knows that flying debris might not cause other cars to crash or hit pedestrians? Sad, yes. But also reprehensible.
I have a lot of trouble assigning moral culpability in situations like this; generally, when suicide is an option someone actively pursues, they are not thinking clearly or rationally, and are in a deep, deep state of distress. While I agree it is sad and unfortunate, I don’t know that I’d call it reprehensible as the intent was certainly not to harm anyone else. Careless and reckless? Sure.

I’m going to mute this thread now, fyi, because it hits just a little bit too close to home; I had two really close friends commit suicide within weeks of each other in college, and a third make an attempt a week later, so I’m very careful about how we talk about these things. There is a lot of shame and guilt involved when we discuss suicide, particularly with suicidal people, and I don’t want anyone to add more on to that plate. We can just be sad, glad nobody *else* was hurt, and do our best to prevent our friends and colleagues from ever ending up in the same situation where they feel they have no other choice.

There is always another choice. <3

I have a lot of trouble assigning moral culpability in situations like this; generally, when suicide is an option someone actively pursues, they are not thinking clearly or rationally, and are in a deep, deep state of distress. While I agree it is sad and unfortunate, I don’t know that I’d call it reprehensible as the intent was certainly not to harm anyone else. Careless and reckless? Sure.

I’m going to mute this thread now, fyi, because it hits just a little bit too close to home; I had two really close friends commit suicide within weeks of each other in college, and a third make an attempt a week later, so I’m very careful about how we talk about these things. There is a lot of shame and guilt involved when we discuss suicide, particularly with suicidal people, and I don’t want anyone to add more on to that plate. We can just be sad, glad nobody *else* was hurt, and do our best to prevent our friends and colleagues from ever ending up in the same situation where they feel they have no other choice.

There is always another choice. <3

I can't disagree with this. However, when I called the method reprehensible I was thinking several years back when someone committed suicide by crashing head-on into another car driven by a young man. The young man's brother, an identical twin, was absolutely destroyed emotionally by the act. There are two sets of identical twins in my extended family ( a pair of teens and a pair of pre-teens), and their bonds are very tight. That incident has never really left me.

But, yes . . . the act of suicide is the act of a person who deserves pity and is processing things outside the bounds of moral definitions.

I can't disagree with this. However, when I called the method reprehensible I was thinking several years back when someone committed suicide by crashing head-on into another car driven by a young man. The young man's brother, an identical twin, was absolutely destroyed emotionally by the act. There are two sets of identical twins in my extended family ( a pair of teens and a pair of pre-teens), and their bonds are very tight. That incident has never really left me.

But, yes . . . the act of suicide is the act of a person who deserves pity and is processing things outside the bounds of moral definitions.
Fully understood. I came back to see if you had responded, by the way, because I genuinely respect you a lot based on your comments here; I do hope we meet someday.

I’m going to lock the thread now, because I don’t think it merits any further discussion now that we have all the details on what occurred, and end with this:

If you are thinking about harming yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help right away​

• Call 911 for emergency services.
  • Go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
  • Call or text 988 to connect with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. The Lifeline provides 24-hour, confidential support to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Support is also available via live chat. Para ayuda en español, llame al 988.

If You Have a Family Member or Friend in a Crisis​

If you have a family member or friend who is suicidal, do not leave him or her alone. Try to get the person to seek help immediately from an emergency room, physician, or mental health professional. Take seriously any comments about suicide or wishing to die. Even if you do not believe your family member or friend will actually attempt suicide, the person is clearly in distress and can benefit from your help in receiving mental health treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back