Front windshield chip/crack

chef_lawigi

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hello. Just got my Air Touring in April and have had a great time driving it here in socal. However , I already had 2 chips on the front windshield . Never had issues with my previous cars. The first chip was sealed prior to tinting the glass canopy and now I have another one which is bigger :-(. Have anyone had these issues often and recommendations to fix it? Maybe I’m accelerating too fast? Thanks for your group input!

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    930.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 155
Hello. Just got my Air Touring in April and have had a great time driving it here in socal. However , I already had 2 chips on the front windshield . Never had issues with my previous cars. The first chip was sealed prior to tinting the glass canopy and now I have another one which is bigger :-(. Have anyone had these issues often and recommendations to fix it? Maybe I’m accelerating too fast? Thanks for your group input!
The second one looks to big to fill. But I'd check with your repair company and see if they would take that on.

Unlucky.. I typically drive 75-80 on the highways in Chicago and I've had a couple of minor scratches come in on my windshield, but nothing to the size of yours.. do keep us posted on the repair!

I got nailed by a rock on the highway. USAA sent Safelite out, and as expected, they say the windshield needs to be replaced. The insurance rep thought my Lucid was a motorhome. She had never heard of the vehicle. Not sure how she made the leap to RV, but…

Interestingly the crack expanded big time after Safelite came. I’m not saying the tech pushed on the windshield, but not sure how else to explain the expansion. Obviously if a windshield cannot take pressure from a hand, it’s not safe and needs to be replaced.

Before:
D0C5191D-A2CA-4480-A456-E470CED4B94B.jpeg

After:
IMG_1789.jpeg

I got nailed by a rock on the highway. USAA sent Safelite out, and as expected, they say the windshield needs to be replaced. The insurance rep thought my Lucid was a motorhome. She had never heard of the vehicle. Not sure how she made the leap to RV, but…

Interestingly the crack expanded big time after Safelite came. I’m not saying the tech pushed on the windshield, but not sure how else to explain the expansion. Obviously if a windshield cannot take pressure from a hand, it’s not safe and needs to be replaced.

Before:
View attachment 12076

After:
View attachment 12077
Don you have a quote on what it'll cost to replace ?

Not yet. Waiting to hear back from USAA about next steps.
I've got USAA insurance also. Good driving record, but the policy is pretty expensive. I'm in Delaware, but when I lived in NY they offered an "all glass" policy with no or little deductible. They don't offer it now, at last in DE. (I guess they had to offer it in NY as everyone, & I mean everyone I know, had window break-ins at least a few times.)

Did you provide your pictures to the insurance company before they sent out Safelite? It is obvious that there is no way to repair this crack.
The USAA rep only asked if the crack was greater than 6”. At that time, it was not. I didn’t have much faith that the rep would grasp the issue even with a photo. But I’ve since uploaded images to my claim.

I'm not sure why you need to use Satellite? They can replace your windshield at the repair centers. And if not done properly they can damage the cantrails.

I was trying to do everything “above board” with USAA. They suggested they set me up with an approved provider, and Safelite it was. The Safelite rep told me it would likely have to be done through Lucid.

USAA told me to find someone to fix it. So, naturally, I’m going through Lucid. Assuming I’ll pay my $1000 deductible which is fine

USAA told me to find someone to fix it. So, naturally, I’m going through Lucid. Assuming I’ll pay my $1000 deductible which is fine
Most insurance plans have a separate glass deductible; mine is $0 with PURE, but when I had GEICO mine was $250 (which was my comprehensive deductible). Check your insurance to see if it has a separate glass rider/deductible.

From what I can tell, if they cannot fix it, but rather have to replace the glass, it’s subject to my normal deductible.

And USAA provides no option for a glass rider / deductible. (At least for this vehicle where I live, it’s not an option I can add.)

This is the first time USAA has disappointed me. Anytime you call and specify it’s a glass issue they route you to a Safelite rep who cannot talk about your insurance or what it covers.

Most insurance plans have a separate glass deductible; mine is $0 with PURE, but when I had GEICO mine was $250 (which was my comprehensive deductible). Check your insurance to see if it has a separate glass rider/deductible.
I have GEICO and a $ 0.00 glass deductible under comprehensive. It varies not only by carrier but by jurisdiction.

Update: closest service center is Houston. I’m being quoted $1200 - $1600 / way for transport. 🤪

No choice but to do it.

Well it’s not your driving. Have had my Air Touring since February and just had my 2nd rock chip this week traveling to Seattle. The first chip seemed to come out of nowhere. Very light traffic traveling at 55mph. Both chips in the same general location up by the sun visors. One on driver side and the other on passenger side. Seems like the air currents the car generates directs small debris to this location.

As an update on my vehicle: Lucid was able to get it down and back to Houston from Dallas in about a week.

Parts: $1810.91
Labor: $660
Transport: $2473

Insurance covered it all minus $1000 deductible.

As an update on my vehicle: Lucid was able to get it down and back to Houston from Dallas in about a week.

Parts: $1810.91
Labor: $660
Transport: $2473

Insurance covered it all minus $1000 deductible.
Great info thank you. I am in Dallas and about to get my AGT in the 2 weeks and we are looking at insurance deciding what deds & limits we want on our USAA auto policy. BTW, I called Lucid Houston service ctr and asked if we they had a collision repair shop in Dallas they said they ""approve" Park Place Body as their "approved" Lucid repair shop. Not sure specifically about where glass repairs/replacement have to be done. I've had USAA in other states and I think the glass coverage ded options depend on the state, in Texas/USAA we just have to pay our deductible.

I was trying to do everything “above board” with USAA. They suggested they set me up with an approved provider, and Safelite it was. The Safelite rep told me it would likely have to be done through Lucid.
Yep. I had the same issue with my prior BMW. Someone dented both passenger side doors and the body shop knew that they were not repairable but the insurance company asked them to try anyway. So they tried and when it failed they replaced the door skins.

An added step but it will reduce arguments later. As noted, Safelite can't replace the windshield because it has no access to the glass.

Back